My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Hurrah! DS can eat Almonds!

12 replies

topiarygal · 06/01/2011 14:04

Just an excited sharing one:
so from being allergic to everything - dairy, nuts, eggs, gluten, fish, tomatoes, kiwi, sesame (and probably more that I've blanked!) he first grew out of the fish and tomatoes, then the gluten (a biggie) then milk and eggs. S a year ago we were still off all nuts and kiwi.
Then, as he'd shown no reaction to peanuts in all tests, we did a challenge to peanuts - worked! And now, now that the Royal Free can differentiate it's tests between the nut-protein and the tree pollen-protein, we've started on some tree nuts and are CLEAR for almonds - so liberating.
All friends and family are off all nuts still but it's really helped me (toblerone and crnchy nut cornflakes!).
So we know he still reacts all by himself (no food triggers) and that he's big-style allergic to posh nuts, but we'll have a go at hazlenuts and walnuts next. Really exciting!
You're all there for my panics, now I thought I'd share my smiles!
tx

OP posts:
PixieOnaLeaf · 06/01/2011 19:29

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

trixymalixy · 06/01/2011 21:51

Hurray!! What age did he grow out of things at (living in hope for my DS)?

topiarygal · 07/01/2011 12:18

Gluten and those previous to that by the age of 3. Milk by 4 and eggs just after that. He's 8 now.

OP posts:
babybarrister · 15/01/2011 21:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumbar · 15/01/2011 22:40

Brilliant news GrinGrin Grin

Can I just ask what you mean by reacting 'by himself' not to food triggers? (may help me)

topiarygal · 16/01/2011 20:57

He's been diagnosed as idiopathically anaphylactic - which basically means that they cannot identify what he is reacting to. We've gone through the foods, airbournes, excercise reacted etc. So they feel it's his immune system just flipping out occassionally.
What gives, mumbar - can I help?

OP posts:
mumbar · 16/01/2011 22:29

My DS has had hives on his face this year. To tomato based products - not allergic to tomato but cannot eat ketchup. And only to ketchup and not all tomato based products Hmm

He has hayfever, and he gets a sudden 'cigarette looking burn' on his cheek as a warning he's about to swell. Usually got a minute!! He had chlorphenamine daily April til September.

I questioned the 'hive' on his face as excema as gets very dry but GP scratched his back and welts appeared he he said hives and have certirizine (sp) for 1 month.

End of Novemebr DS suddenly ran to me scratching his face which had gome all hot and hivey. Gave AH, gone within 30 minutes.

That night he had an episode, he felt suddenly freezing cold, and I mean screaming he was freezing and scared and for me to warm him up, eyes and bottom lip, lower face swelled. nose blocked and breathing was rapid (30bpm). 15ml chlorphenamine (over an hour) he suddenly just lie down exhusted. Then 5 minutes later sat and and asked to go to bed as if nothing had happened Shock.

I have often said he doesn't seem to react to anything - it just happens. People look at me as if I'm mad!!

Back to consultant next month, GP questions epipen needed.

I'm really pleased your DS is improving bu was interesting that you said theres no obvious trigger.

brimfull · 16/01/2011 22:37

Very good news for your ds topiary. My ds ,also 8 , has appt at allergy clinic next month. He was last seen 3 yrs ago and they mentioned that he may be old enough for food challenge this time.

He's allergic to tree nuts. Ds is terrified as he is a real worrier ..what did your ds have to do for the challenge and did they do a blood test first?

pacita · 16/01/2011 22:52

Great news, topiary.

I too would be interested to hear what the challenges involve. My DS is still quite small, and the last test showed that he is still allergic to eggs and all nuts. I am so hoping he'll grow out of it too! Your story makes me very hopeful.

topiarygal · 16/01/2011 22:55

Mumbar - hijack away - sounds really worrying, i hope your consultant sorts you out - keep the epi-pens and I would ask for as many tests as possible. Can you do a supervised 'touch-test' with the ketchup? And then check against ingedients - celery maybe?

GGirl - we've done the challenges once the scratch AND blood tests have shown low reaction (not nil) and for the blood tests they'd also separated the pollen protein and the actual nut protein (only recently available) which showed DS having a high reaction to the pollen and not to the nut (!!!) so from there we've safely done challenges to peanuts and almonds. Re the challenges - this is where we as Mums have to work hard with our kids - for me it worked to share the anxiety and for us both to 'man-up' together - not sure what works for you but good luck!

OP posts:
mumbar · 17/01/2011 18:05

Consult is about the bad reaction he had. GP referred us back as he thinks we need epi-pens. I was hesitant but having been on here and talking to lots of parents I think are a good idea. Its because he's fine for months and then it happenes out of the blue - and seemingly worse each time. Sad. I will be making sure the consult is thourough - I have learnt no-one else will fight for your child!

babybarrister · 17/01/2011 22:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.