My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Eczema - allgergy tests

16 replies

PrincessLeia456 · 21/11/2010 21:16

Hi All,
I have been reading with interest the posts about eczema and have found them very informative.

I could just do with some specific advice about our particular situation. My 7yr ol DD has suffered with eczema for since she was born, not badly, mainly tops of ears, corners of mouth. These have been managed with steriod cream, diprobase and cetirizine. This year we found that these creams have not been working so we went to a peidatrician, who prescribed more creams. These haven't helped either, so I went to a homeopath. we have tried Natrum Mur which has (I think) caused a major flare up. I am not sure if this is the way that homeopathic medicines work? Worse before it gets better?

Anyway, we have a dermatology appt in about 3 weeks and I am now thinking that my DD should have an allergy test. She has been vomitting a couple of times a week (just the one time each) and has had the odd bout of diarrhea. How easy is it to get an allergy test? in the meantime can I try eliminating foods? will it affect the test?

I am at my wits end, it is now affecting my DD's confidence at school, which is heatbreaking. I just want to make it all better :(

Thanks for your help.

OP posts:
MegBusset · 21/11/2010 21:26

OK, first of all, homeopathy doesn't 'work', at best it is a placebo so really wouldn't bother going there.

Secondly, eczema can be related to (although not directly caused by) food allergies, dairy and egg seem to be the most common. How long has your DD had the vomiting/diarrhoea? I would talk to your paed about allergy testing, they may advise a strict exclusion diet (this should only be done under a dietician's supervision) or go straight to blood testing.

Are there any environmental factors which could have caused her eczema to get worse? New pet, different detergent, stress, etc?

PrincessLeia456 · 21/11/2010 21:39

Hi Meg, thanks for your reply. The vomitting/diarrhoea has just been the last week. I don't know if it is related or not. She has complained for sometime though of feeling sick. I don't know if this is related to her steriod cream as it is used in the corners of her mouth. She has red flaky eyes that make her look very tired and poorly. The corners of her mouth sometimes look like cold sores. Her ears are cracked and her arms/legs are red and itchy.

No new pet or washing powder, although we do have a new washing machine and I have just started to use fabric softener? Also, I don't think the cold weather helps as its on her face. Stress a school may be a factor too?

As a baby I BF her untill 11mths. She then developed reflux when she went onto solids/cows milk and used to get a really red bumpy tongue at times?

I am wondering how quickly we can get allergy tests done? I am deffinately going to stop the fabric softener and do an extra rinse after reading some other threads. Its so hard to know what to do for the best. :(

OP posts:
MegBusset · 21/11/2010 22:01

We can't use fabric softener at all as it sends DS1's skin crazy, would try dropping that.

Re: allergy tests, if you've already been referred the paed then they should be able to organise it pretty quickly, although can take a few weeks for the results to come back, obv this can vary. Don't be tempted by random allergy tests from the internet/Holland & Barrett etc as these won't give a reliable result.

PrincessLeia456 · 21/11/2010 22:08

OK will do, thanks Meg. Do I have to prepare myself to fight for an allergy test or are they quite happy to just go ahead?

OP posts:
AuntyHan · 21/11/2010 22:29

Hi, the only other thing I can add is that cold weather and central heating seem to have a severe effect on our ds (4 mts). Dr suggested keeping central heating off as much as poss and putting wet towels/ pots of water on radiators when it's on to keep air moist and not so drying. Also fish oil tablets?

Were in midst of restriction diet, or I am at least as he's not weaned yet. Does seem to be making some difference I think. But need to push for allergy testing with gp.

Good luck, really hope yr dd gets some relief soon.

PrincessLeia456 · 22/11/2010 10:33

Thanks AuntyHan, I hoep you get some relief for your little one too. I may just try a few days without dairy just to see if it makes any difference for my DD.

OP posts:
AuntyHan · 22/11/2010 10:49

It's a real pain, but apparently takes 3 weeks for dairy to leave system so to get complete picture, may take this long. Sorry.

PrincessLeia456 · 22/11/2010 11:35

:( really?? oh dear :( may as well wait for the dermatology appt then?

OP posts:
AuntyHan · 22/11/2010 13:00

Yep I reckon. Hopefully this will identify the culprits more accurately. And then maybe on their advice drop some things and see what happens. I'm not completely convinced by restriction diets alone as other factors can confuse the picture. Like environmental/ etc.

We have appt thurs and I'm preparing myself to fight for referral and allergy testing.

PrincessLeia456 · 22/11/2010 13:30

Thanks AuntyHan. Three weeks seems like a age away at the moment.

Good luck for your appointment on Thurs. Hope you get your referral and allergy tests without to much of a fight!

OP posts:
melodyangel · 22/11/2010 13:55

My DS2 skin is awful at the moment, worse than ever but I think it is a combination of cold weather, the central heating and having a really bad cold a couple of weeks ago. Could this be the same for your DD?

Not much to add but make sure your DD isn't dehydrated as this can lead to feeing tired and sick - took me years to work that one out Blush

Hope things get better soon.

PrincessLeia456 · 22/11/2010 14:49

Thanks Melody, yes I think maybe it is a combination? How old is your DS? My DD is 7 and I was hoping she may grow out of it, but it is certainly the worst it is certainly the worst it has ever been :(

aha, good thinking I will try to get DD to drink more she is not good a drinking lots, I have to keep nagging!!! Blush

OP posts:
PrincessLeia456 · 22/11/2010 14:49

*oops repeated myself!!

OP posts:
melodyangel · 22/11/2010 14:57

DS2 is 6 eczema only flares up in winter or when he's poorly but we're still very careful about only using aqueous cream on him in the bath and don't bathe him every day. Hoping he will grow out of it too, DS1 did but his was milder. I grew into my eczema, had none until I had my DS's - ho hum!

PrincessLeia456 · 22/11/2010 15:07

oh no poor you! :( What do you wash their hair with? We don't bathe her everyday, but as a girl DD has longish hair!! Confused

OP posts:
melodyangel · 23/11/2010 10:19

I use Baby shampoo on DS2 and the Aussie conditioner which seems to work for him - he has long hair too. But it really is trial and error with everything.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.