My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

gluten free bread with chestnut flour

20 replies

ruty · 27/08/2005 20:51

I've finally found an organic gluten free bread for my 11month old ds, but it has chestnut flour in it. AS i haven't tried him on nuts yet i'm wondering if this is ok or not. Anyone have any ideas?

OP posts:
Beabea · 27/08/2005 20:55

I would think it is ok. Is chestnut actually a nut?

ruty · 27/08/2005 21:36

i'm not sure. It says on the packet 'contains nuts' and there are no other nuts in the ingredients...

OP posts:
Beabea · 27/08/2005 21:49

Just had a quick search on chestnut flour and yes chestnut is a nut.

The only think I can think of is to rub a bit of the bread on either the middle of the small of his back or perhaps the inside of his arm to see if there is a reaction. I was suggested to do this with foods we are unsure about. But Bea hasnt had any severe reactions to food groups as yet.

Can you get any advice from a dietician first? I dont feel qualified to advise as it is a dodgy area. The general rule is that if you are unsure to not have it.

Sorry that ended up not being very helpful.

ruty · 27/08/2005 23:00

thanks beabea. Our dietician is a bit clueless but I'll ask her!

OP posts:
Beabea · 27/08/2005 23:02

Yes I have much the same experience. Since when is cous cous not made of wheat?!!!

tatt · 28/08/2005 07:07

best avoided. Not everything with "nut" in the title is actually a true nut (water chestnut isn't) but chestnut is. This is quite a good webpage 66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:-WPirdJmBPkJ:www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/6.html+chestnut+allergy&hl=en
Although the anaphylaxis campaign suggests coconut is best avoided by allergic families unless you've been tested for it we haven't found it a problem.

tatt · 28/08/2005 07:09

ps don't forget if doing the rubbing bit its the second time you get a reaction. I keep forgetting that myself

bobbybob · 28/08/2005 07:19

I wouldn't have at 11 months old, but then ds is allergic to latex and chesnuts are on the cross reaction list.

ruty · 28/08/2005 10:26

i might try the rubbing, thanks, but souns like`i should avoid it to be on the safe side. where oh where can i finf organic gluten free bread?

OP posts:
Laura032004 · 28/08/2005 11:13

Have you tried local health food shops? Our gets a delivery of home made stuff once a week. Maybe you could put in a specific request for it to made from 100% organic ingredients?

jabberwocky · 28/08/2005 11:20

Have you not found anything with rice flour? We use a bread machine and I have used prepackaged mixes with rice flour in it with good results.

ruty · 28/08/2005 18:52

can i make bread with rice flour? i have tried health shops...

OP posts:
jabberwocky · 28/08/2005 21:38

Yes, if you do it from scratch you have to buy the xanthum gum and all that which I'm too lazy to get into. Found this site for you.

Also this

ruty · 28/08/2005 22:37

thanks for those jabberwocky. We eat glutano bread at the moment. We've tried the barkat bread but its pretty horrible, and they are not organic - so annoying! Can't get organic gluten free flour, have only been able to get organic rice flour. But that is a useful recipe if i can find the right flour.

OP posts:
jabberwocky · 28/08/2005 23:16

Have you tried bean flour? It is quite good. And here's a book to look at:

The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread : More than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes (Paperback)

I have her other one: The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy : Wheat-Free and Gluten-Free with Less Fuss and Less Fat (Paperback) but again, sadly am too lazy to do a lot from scratch

Chandra · 29/08/2005 02:16

Tatt, one question about the rubbing of allergens at this age... If a reaction means that he has been exposed to nuts at an early age (which as you know is not convenient for children with a history of allergies), and from that exposure developed an allergy... Why is it OK to expose the child to rubbing at this age?

I'm a bit concerned that it would be simmilar to give him nuts at an age when the allergic child is more sensitive. I'm going to try to find the info but one of the things that I downloaded from the NHS when DS had its first reaction to nuts mentioned that they believed that the first exposure to nut of children who later developed the allergy might be through the skin. So... probably not such a good idea to do the rubbing thing.

Just a thought...

Chandra · 29/08/2005 02:18

\link{www.ich.ucl.ac.uk/patients_fam/ ppweb/annualreview99/lastsection99.pdf\here}

www.ich.ucl.ac.uk/patients_fam/ ppweb/annualreview99/lastsection99.pdf

tatt · 29/08/2005 08:25

best to avoid the flour completely - I'd already said that but perhaps I should have said why. Still if ruty is going to try it later on she needs to know how to do it as safely as possible.

tatt · 30/08/2005 06:25

ruty if you want to keep your child completely nut free you need to avoid cheap ice cream and most chocolate. They often contain peanut protein. It is sensible to avoid nuts until about 5 if your child has shown any allergy but its much harder than most people realise.

ruty · 30/08/2005 13:29

we don't have icecream or choc because he is casein free. poor ds! so deprived. thanks for the book tip jabberwocky. it does seem time consuming to bake all theses things from scratch, i'm not the best cook!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.