My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

banana to replace egg in cake recipes?

20 replies

girlsyearapart · 14/08/2010 19:31

hi I've been googling egg free cake recipes for dd2's 2nd birthday next month.

One of the sites said for every egg you can replace it for mashed ripe banana..

anyone tried this?

OP posts:
Wigeon · 14/08/2010 19:41

Surely that wouldn't work? The egg is for making the cake rise and be nice and fluffy - banana is no way going to help with that.

Hope someone will come along soon with a good egg free cake recipe though!

girlsyearapart · 14/08/2010 19:46

I know it sounded like a wierd substitute..

have found 1 recipe using veg oil looks ok. Lots use milk which she can't have either though.

OP posts:
BoojaB · 14/08/2010 19:51

Making egg-free cakes is easy (and they're delicious)! :O

Egg is used as a binding agent, but banana, chocolate, arrowroot, locust bean gum, xantham gum, agar agar and silken tofu are also very good.

I recommend this book, for great egg-free cake recipes: www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Hope that helps.

feedthegoat · 14/08/2010 19:52

You can buy an egg replacement to use in baking from health food shops. I tried it successfully a few times though luckily ds can now tolerate baked goods which makes life easier.

BoojaB · 14/08/2010 19:55

Following from my post above, girlsyearapart, I made a brill (if I do say so myself) egg-free chocolate cake for my daughter's second birthday in June. All the guests loved it and they didn't believe that it was egg and dairy-free. In fact, four of the mums asked for the recipe because they said it was lighter than a cake with egg in it.

I'll dig out the recipe (which was very basic - the hard bit was turning it into a big rabbit!) and send it to you soon.

JennyWren · 14/08/2010 19:56

I have just tried out an egg-free, dairy-free recipe, which was quite good and could be made as fairy cakes or one big cake. www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/featured_recipe5.php

I haven't signed up to the site, but this is one of their free-to-view recipes. It uses vinegar or lemon juice to react against the bicarb to produce gas to make the cake rise. I made the chocolate version, using cocoa powder. It was a little drier than a traditional victoria sponge mix, but went down well at a kids' tea party.

MumOfTwoToo · 14/08/2010 21:50

I've used 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (usually sunflower), 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon baking powder mixed together as an egg replacer in recipes, usually for heavier cakes such as date and banana. My Ds loves them.

ReadingTeaLeaves · 14/08/2010 22:02

Googld Bakin' Without Eggs. Good book!

ReadingTeaLeaves · 14/08/2010 22:02

Googld = google. Blush

oopsandbabycoconuts · 14/08/2010 22:08

I make egg free cakes/cupcakes using 1oz of silken tofu instead of each egg. SO for a standard sponge recipe I use:

4oz s/r flour
4oz pure vegetable spread
4 oz caster sugar
2oz silken tofu
1/2 tsp baking powder

Whisk sugar and butter, then whisk in silken tofu until light and fluffy then mix in flour and BP. bake at 180degrees for 20mins big cake or 15 mins cupcakes

Very yummy cake with a slightly nuttier flavour but no one I know has ever questioned them.

girlsyearapart · 15/08/2010 07:51

thanks all will have a go at one later today. booja if you can find the recipe that'd be great

OP posts:
babybarrister · 16/08/2010 08:08

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suiledonne · 16/08/2010 14:54

After many failed attempts with different egg replacers etc I finally discovered a great egg free chocolate cake recipe.

It uses condensed milk and it is lovely, although quite rich.

vegetarian-planet.blogspot.com/2009/09/eggless-chocolate-cake-with-condensed.html

I used 2 cups of flour as the recipe seemed a bit off to me and it came out fine.

I cook mine in a high cake tin and cut in in 2 to fill but you could make it in 2 smaller tins.

suiledonne · 16/08/2010 14:55

You can do an orange version by replacing the cocoa with flour and using the grated rind of a couple of oranges and 1 CUP orange juice instead of the water in the choc cake recipe I just posted.

girlsyearapart · 17/08/2010 08:03

thanks both for recipes.

I made one at weekend from the allrecipes site which used vegetable oil,bicarb,water and vinegar instead of egg,took about 3 times longer in the oven but worked out ok esp with icing and sprinkles Smile

Bit of a strange aftertaste though..

suiledonne she can't have milk either so I don't think I can do that one

OP posts:
suiledonne · 17/08/2010 08:56

Sorry girls didn't realise she was allergic to dairy too. Doubt if there is dairy free alternative to condensed milk Sad

I have made cakes using the vinegar, oil and bicarb too. I agree about the aftertaste but plenty of gooey icing covers it.

I've seen apple sauce (which I presume is apple puree) used in some recipes.

It is a tricky business baking for those with allergies.

trianera · 17/08/2010 22:37

I made this for my son's 1st birthday recently and it was very popular. Everyone was really surprised when I said it was egg and dairy free, and it was dead simple to make too.

hth

girlsyearapart · 18/08/2010 19:38

yeah think I forgoe to mention that suiledonne
tbh the main thing is that I want to do the whole cake and candles thing really so not really much of a problem about the taste iyswim!

trianera will look now thankyou.

OP posts:
babybarrister · 29/08/2010 19:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

girlsyearapart · 29/08/2010 19:55

I have made the one trianera posted twas rather nice! haven't tried the one you potsted yet babybarrister but will do.

Now need to attempt to turn it into the gruffalo Hmm

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.