Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Alcohol support

Would you be worried?

2 replies

gottabeok · 08/01/2022 10:33

I've recently had to move back in with my parents with my 2 children following a divorce.
Mum has always liked a glass or wine or 2 but nothing concerning. Over the past few years we've had bereavements in the close family and just a generally shit time.
On a night I've noticed my mums speech becomes slurred. She kindly did my son's nappy last night and was all over the place, trying to throw it in the bin with the lid still down. She swore blind (and on my sons life) she hadn't been drinking and it was her medication she takes.
She admitted this morning she had been drinking brandy - I never even saw her take a drop. This is happening on a regular basis and I'm obviously more aware now I'm living here. I told her I was very disappointed that she lied to me. She's having tests for bowel cancer as she has persistent diarroah (can never spell that)
What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

rumred · 08/01/2022 18:19

Hi op I think it's hard for her to cope with the possibility of a bad diagnosis and alcohol shuts some worries out temporarily. Don't be too judgemental, we all screw up at times.
Maybe buy her some quit lit or point her towards podcasts she might be able to relate to, ie not 30yos who've kicked booze.

Or maybe firstly find your local cancer support centre to help her deal with the concerns she has.
It's hard for you too, can you talk to a friend?

Please
or

AFitOfTheVapours · 09/01/2022 21:29

Oh dear. It sounds like you and she have been having a tough time. There is, of course, hope that she is drinking like this short term to deal with the bowel cancer investigations, which must be horribly tough.
It might be best to reserve judgement until that is more settled.

After that, keep an eye on the signs and take it from there. If it turns out that she has developed a problem, please remember it is not something you can cure or influence. Good luck!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?