My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

Is there anything else we can do?

4 replies

TwoBlondes · 23/05/2021 21:42

Still close to DH, although long term separated. We have two adultish kids together.

He has reached the point where he no longer eats/can eat, struggles to walk and talk, is living entirely on alcohol, his teeth have rotted and he's constantly falling over and injuring himself. Cries a lot. He lost his job and is barely surviving on his pension but isn't entitled to benefits. His house is like something out of a documentary, filthy, full of empty bottles. He sleeps on a bare mattress rather than sheets. Won't do any washing. Had to sit down after DD made him vacuum two bedrooms.

He's the world champion gaslighter and is an expert at deflecting any questions. Managed one session of AA years ago because DD begged him but said it wasn't for him. Appears to have not had any medical diagnosis, not that it's needed. Still claims not to have a problem. Still driving and has already lost his licence once.

I don't know what to do and suspect there's actually nothing I can do and I feel absolutely helpless. I'm not in the UK although he is.

Any suggestions ? Would Social Services get involved in a case like this ?

OP posts:
FortunesFave · 23/05/2021 23:20

I think SS would get involved yes. It sounds like he needs to be in residential care. I'm so sorry OP. It sounds awful for everyone. It's better for you to think of him as being very unwell with a disease than being an addict. It's awful what alcohol does.

TwoBlondes · 27/05/2021 22:41

Thanks. I rang his doctor who was brilliant. Obviously can't tell me anything but has acted on what I told him.

OP posts:
pointythings · 28/05/2021 13:13

You're a strong and caring woman and you have done everything you could to support him. Well done. Now look after yourself, it's incredibly tough watching someone drink themselves to death.

Fitforforty · 28/05/2021 13:18

Please contact the DVLA before he does something he regrets.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.