My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.


Adopting my 9year old niece

8 replies

jamjar5060 · 12/11/2019 18:10

Hi All

I have been a Kinship Carer for my niece for nearly 5 years now. We have secured a residence order and have parental rights and responsibilities.

She has been asking about me adopting her and I told her I would love to but I know her birth mum will object.

I am really looking for advice. Because she is looked after under Kinship can the local council help?

OP posts:
Aunty5ocial · 12/11/2019 18:17

Firstly, if your neice has asked you to adopt her tou must be doing a great job.

Can I just clarify, does your neice still have a social worker and she lives with you under kinship fostering, or have you been granted a Special Gaurdianship Order?

Ted27 · 12/11/2019 18:44

Her mum objecting doesn't necessarily mean you can't adopt her. She is of an age where SWs will take her wishes into account so I would ask.
Good luck, you are obviously have a great relationship with her

ifchocolatewerecelery · 12/11/2019 22:49

I would contact a specialist organisation like Adoption U.K. for advice.

Italiangreyhound · 14/11/2019 01:58

If you want to do it I would investigate it. Then if the answer is no for any reason you can tell her if appropriate and why etc. Just knowing you would if you could may make a difference to her. Thanks

and echo what Aunty5ocial says " must be doing a great job."


Blindingpeaky · 14/11/2019 17:43

Have you considered a special guardianship order?

Tidy2018 · 17/11/2019 15:44

OP - are you in Scotland? My understanding is that SW there are very reluctant to alter the relationships for the child within the extended birth family by adoption. If you and she have different surnames, you can apply to the Sheriff Court, via your family solicitor, for her to be known as [your surname] The residence order trumps the parents’ rights in almost all other respects of your lives together.

Apologies if I’m wrong here.

fasparent · 19/11/2019 11:49

Can Adopt have too contact Local LA in 1st instance in writing giving them 3 months notice of your intentions. In the interim Can contact Family court (Adoption) and ask for adoption application papers and guidance, gives you plenty of time too. peruse what is required and process, most would be done by social services. When all paper work assessments, references ect: are completed satisfactory can the apply too court for hearing date . Cost around £175.

fasparent · 20/11/2019 01:15

Your niece in the process of Adoption will have an independent appointed court social worker in the way of CAFCASS . Who will express her feelings and wishes in a report too the court. Lots will depend on this.
Wish you luck.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.