My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.


Approval for a child out of area

6 replies

HaveAWeeNap · 11/08/2018 23:29

Hi all,
I wonder if anybody could advise me? If we wanted to be matched with a child, out of our area, which authority would we get approval from? The child's area, our own, or the area we were previously approved in to be adopters?
Any help you can give me would be gratefully appreciated.

OP posts:
HaveAWeeNap · 11/08/2018 23:32

Sorry, I haven't explained this very well. We don't have current approval - so who would we train again with and get approval from?

OP posts:
Jellycatspyjamas · 12/08/2018 05:54

I was approved by my local authority and was then placed with a child out of area. That wasn’t a criteria we had set, it’s just where our children happened to be. Even if you were approved by a different local authority, there’s no guarantee you’d get a child placed from there.

Is there a particular reason you want to be approved for an out of area adoption? Do you already have a particular child in mind?

Smudgymoo · 12/08/2018 08:55

We were approved with an LA outside of our area - they said they preferred this as then there’s no worry about their children mingling with birth parents after placement.

Essentially you can do either as you can go on link maker and become linked with children all over the country - but from what I’ve read, LAs have access to the children first, and if they can’t place them they put them on linkmaker - so it doesn’t really matter where you get approval from - so might be easier to go back to the LA you were previously approved with as they’ll have everything already filled in and it will just need to be changed for current circumstances?? I may be wrong though - apologies!

HaveAWeeNap · 12/08/2018 08:57

Specific child in mind. That's why I'm confused. I don't know why my previous area would pay to train me and get approval for a child from a different area that isn't theirs.

OP posts:
Ted27 · 12/08/2018 10:35

you would need to approach the LA where the child is resident

HaveAWeeNap · 12/08/2018 11:44

Thank you.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.