My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.


child tax credit for adopters

2 replies

MOTHERFINDSWORK · 21/02/2017 16:42

Hi can anyone help or give me some advice about my rights to claim backdated child tax credit?

I adopted my daughter in 2004 as a single adopter and because I had my own savings. I've stayed at home to look after my daughter all this time, whilst studying to become a Psychotherapist. I did not make enquiries about child tax credit until I ran out of money. I have since discovered that I have been entitled to this since 2004. At times when I was running out of money, I did seek advice from the Citizens Advice bureau and was given slightly ambiguous information. It was only when I found a job over the Christmas period and applied for working tax credit that I was told that I should have been claiming child tax credit all this time, (since 2004), because I have not been working. By law, are they obliged to backdate this money?

OP posts:
MintyLizzy9 · 21/02/2017 17:50


You can only back claim by 30 days, I missed out on some too as I didn't think I would be entitled as I had savings.

Haffdonga · 21/02/2017 17:51

No you can't. Sorry
<a class="break-all" href="//" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">//

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.