Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can anyone talk with me about doing Impact - and emotional costs?

resistingreality · 31/08/2022 10:58

Hi all. This may be a bit niche but I am an academic who does quite a bit of 'impact.' I'm in social sciences and on various committees and bodies aimed ostensibly at addressing the particular problem I research. Often these have a political slant - and I am the trouble maker if you like (or at least I feel that I am seen by others as such). So others will be looking at this from one perspective, let's say 'mainstream', whereas I see my role (in part) to point out the difficulties in their approach, guide them towards the evidence, and take a more critical perspective. I find it REALLY difficult. I don't feel like I really know what I am doing, whether I am doing the right thing, whether I should just shut-up, and whether I am completely missing the point. I very much do this alone - there is no institutional support. This is all a bit vague as otherwise potentially a bit outing. But does anybody here do a similar sort of impact? Do you also feel a bit lost? I'd love to talk!

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?