Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Moving discipline after PhD?

movingdisciplineq · 15/08/2022 22:50

I'm nearing PhD submission. I love my PhD subject, but its a very theoretical take on a social science with a. a bit of qualitative research. As this subject is dominated by lone researchers, there seeks to be next to no research work in my field in the UK - people only get to permanent jobs by casual teaching for 10 years (I can't move around with kids), or by winning some brilliant post-doc for their project.

There seem to be a lot more research jobs in applied social sciences. I have a few years experience in a social care field I have been working in alongside my PhD. Is it worth applying for RA type jobs in a related field?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MedSchoolRat · 16/08/2022 17:35

You gotta pay the bills & could be happy doing applied work, so heck yeah, go for chance to diversify your skillset. There is huge shortage of RAs right now, you probably have good chance to get interview.

Please
or

MedSchoolRat · 16/08/2022 17:36

ps: I now work in an area totally unrelated to my PhD.

Please
or

movingdisciplineq · 16/08/2022 18:08

Thanks@MedSchoolRat ! Is there any particular reason for shortage of RAs out of interest?

OP's posts:
Please
or

AceSpades54321 · 16/08/2022 18:14

You could go straight into teaching a-level social sciences, if you teach in a private school your kids may get to attend for free.

Please
or

movingdisciplineq · 16/08/2022 18:27

I thought about but think I would prefer my social care related job to teaching in school

OP's posts:
Please
or

parietal · 17/08/2022 18:48

Yes, do apply for jobs in a related field. just look carefully at the person spec for the job you want to go for and make sure your CV and cover letter show how well you meet the spec. Bear in mind that men apply for jobs where they only meet 50% of the spec, so you don't have to hit every point. but there is a very good chance you'll find something on your CV that does meet it, so make sure you point that out in your application.

good luck.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?