Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

If you work in a university outside of academia...

dutofu · 13/08/2022 21:41

What do you do? And do you enjoy it?

Just that really. I work in university admissions but keen to know what other roles are out there.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AlwaysColdHands · 13/08/2022 21:55

There an Academic Common Room section under Work that might attract more attention so you can get some more responses 👍🏻
I’m academic, just what you don’t want 🤣

Please
or

dutofu · 13/08/2022 22:31

Thanks! Will ask to have it moved!

OP's posts:
Please
or

louderthan · 13/08/2022 22:39

I worked in the library for a long time and am now in student experience. Love both!

Please
or

titchy · 13/08/2022 22:42

Surely you're aware of other professional service depts at your own university Confused All universities have pretty much the same functions.

Please
or

Namenic · 13/08/2022 22:44

I knew someone who was IT administrator.

Please
or

dutofu · 13/08/2022 22:46

There are hundreds of different types of jobs in professional services/administration and each uni is slightly different. I'm curious to know what others do, what it involves and if they enjoy it. What's so strange about that? It's not like I work closely with people in every department and and know what roles exist within each department in any great detail.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GalactatingGoddess · 13/08/2022 22:50

Well, I'm following this thread with interest. Trying to break into the HE industry but proving unsuccessful so far!

Please
or

Dalaidramailama · 13/08/2022 22:52

I work as a surveyor in the business park attached to the university.

Please
or

dutofu · 13/08/2022 23:02

GalactatingGoddess · 13/08/2022 22:50

Well, I'm following this thread with interest. Trying to break into the HE industry but proving unsuccessful so far!

I found that from an outside perspective (before I started my current role) the number of different types of work encompassed by "university administration" seemed huge. Often I only discovered a role existed when I saw it advertised. Do you have a specific role in mind?

OP's posts:
Please
or

dutofu · 13/08/2022 23:03

louderthan · 13/08/2022 22:39

I worked in the library for a long time and am now in student experience. Love both!

What do you do in student experience? Are you working directly with students or is it more data-focused?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Squeezedsquash · 13/08/2022 23:22

Recently left HE after 20 years. Worked in planning/student finance/quality assurance/ student administration.

i don’t miss…

• Internal politics
  • external politics (OfS consultations are no longer a feature of my life)
  • unsustainable workloads, particularly for academic colleagues - meaning you know that people can never do everything they’re expected to do at the standard they want to
  • the fact that despite the fact everyone worked So Hard through the pandemic, students got a really tough deal that I found difficult to defend.
but I do miss
  • a really international feeling community, that looks across the world for peers
  • a sector that has completely changed in 20 years (yes, driven by consumer preference issues but still it’s been exciting to be part of that change…)
  • the knowledge around the place - there are clever people everywhere, and I’m the first to say a phd is a test of stamina and not intelligence, but you get a lot of interesting conversations
  • the annual leave
  • (a privilege of the role I was in) the diversity of things I was working on.

i wonder if I will return in the future but for now being outside is great, even if my new job is incredibly dull and frustrating. If you don’t already, sign up to wonkhe- you get a view on all sorts of HE issues that might not be what you know about and give you an idea on what some of your colleagues are thinking about.

Please
or

Bunnyannesummers · 13/08/2022 23:26

I work in widening access. I love it, but it’s a bit crap being thought of as the poor relationship within the uni.

Please
or

LakeIsle48 · 13/08/2022 23:31

Information compliance e.g. FOI and Data Protection (GDPR). My aim is to secure a dull job!

Please
or

dutofu · 13/08/2022 23:34

@Squeezedsquash Thanks for the tip and for the detailed response.

I find HE a frustrating place to work in some ways, I think in large part because the ideal of 'the university' and the reality don't always match up. I feel very uneasy about the way HE is going (and has been going for decades now) and the workloads seem very unevenly spread. On the other hand, my colleagues are all interesting, intelligent people and seeing how a big institution operates from the inside, seeing how decisions are made etc. is fascinating.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GerronBuzanDoThaWomwok · 13/08/2022 23:34

dutofu · 13/08/2022 21:41

What do you do? And do you enjoy it?

Just that really. I work in university admissions but keen to know what other roles are out there.

Outside of? 🙄

Please
or

bruffin · 13/08/2022 23:39

My DSis finds placements for health students

Please
or

AprilRae91 · 13/08/2022 23:40

Legal

convincing academics actually yes they do need a contract and it does need specific terms and yes they do need to manage data securely and in line with legislation….

Please
or

dutofu · 13/08/2022 23:44

GerronBuzanDoThaWomwok · 13/08/2022 23:34

Outside of? 🙄

I'm not British, is this considered incorrect in an informal context?

OP's posts:
Please
or

AgathaMystery · 13/08/2022 23:54

I work as a registered health professional in a really niche area of female health care for a famous uni.

Please
or

dutofu · 14/08/2022 00:01

LakeIsle48 · 13/08/2022 23:31

Information compliance e.g. FOI and Data Protection (GDPR). My aim is to secure a dull job!

How did you get into this? Do you have a law background?

OP's posts:
Please
or

JasmineIndigo · 14/08/2022 00:31

I work in admin within a geography department. I don't love the work but equally I don't hate it. I like the people I work with and the flexibility- I worked from home 3 days a week pre-pandemic and no sign of having to go in at all now, and we get very generous holidays including extra time off at Easter and Christmas. It's a 9-5 job with zero stress - I don't get involved with any internal politics and am just left alone to manage my own schedule plus it pays pretty well for what I do. I guess in answer to your question OP, I don't love the job, but I love the work-life balance it affords me.

Please
or

LakeIsle48 · 14/08/2022 07:33

We received GDPR training from the Information Commisioner's Office. You might like to contact them to see if they can provide training in house

Please
or

Gufo · 14/08/2022 07:50

I work in student recruitment / marketing. I really enjoy it overall but the day-to-day workload can feel relentless. It's mainly stakeholder and project management.

Please
or

louderthan · 14/08/2022 08:06

I work with students, that's what I enjoyed about working in the library and I wanted something similar.

Please
or

Oxeninsocks · 14/08/2022 08:24

I work in so-called professional services. It’s the oddest place I’ve ever worked and a joke compared with the corporate sector. I have numerous colleagues who stretch out a two day a week job to fill five days, not helped by antiquated IT systems! From the inside, I’m genuinely shocked that such a revered institution runs much as it did in the 1970s.

I’ll give it another year as it’s convenient, local and fits in the with the DC but this is not where I want my career to be. Ironically I seem to have a good reputation and keep being promoted. I have to tell myself that this is only in comparison with Sheila (not her real name) who’s only stringing it out until retirement and Lucy (not her real name) who has the worst sickness record of all time… I’ve never met such a crowd of work-shy malingerers until here - it makes me laugh when people moan they’re busy and I sit there thinking I’d have done their whole week’s work in half a day ten years ago. High volume output is neither expected nor encouraged… I could have done another job on the side whilst working from home during the pandemic, had I not had the DC to homeschool.

On the plus side, long holidays and zero stress. Salaries are also low compared with the cost of living in our city and then HR moan about the constant (300?) vacancies 🤯 but there is stability, which seems to be prized above all else. Madness!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?