My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Chickenpox tips

5 replies

labyut · 26/05/2023 19:50

My eldest daughter is covered head to toe in chickenpox, any tips? She is refusing to let me put any cream or gel on them. Secondly she also has them in the white of her eyes, does this need checking by a doctor? Because of it being her eyes that's all! Thank you

OP posts:
oldestmumaintheworld · 26/05/2023 20:04

You have my sympathy. Chickenpox is rotten. My daughter was covered too. The advice I was given worked really well. Two or three tepid baths a day with 8drops of lavender essential oil in. This soothes the itch. Calpol if a bit feverish. Good luck.

JennyAnn1982 · 26/05/2023 20:06

Fill a sock with oats, hold it under a running tap, oat bath.

Insanely soothing for them.

Piriton.

lilyborderterrier · 26/05/2023 20:07

Aw bless her, try porridge oats in a old sock/ tights in a lukewarm bath a few times a day, ( it dries the spots out)
calpol ( not ibuprofen !!)
lots of tv, snuggles and treats.
sending get well vibes.
if the ones by her eyes are bothering her. Maybe call 111 to send her to an out of hours.

Skinnermarink · 26/05/2023 20:08

Oats in a sock. Tie up the sock. Put in bath. I don’t know why it works to stop the itch but it does. And FWIW yeah I probably would get them looked at if it’s in the eyes.

I saw enough of CP as a nanny to get my own vaccinated, it really should be offered as part of the routine vaccinations here as it is in other countries, but it comes down to cost naturally.

Kam610 · 26/05/2023 20:10

I know you're saying she is refusing cream, but Poxclin foam was a lifesaver for us! It dries so quickly on the skin so doesn't feel sticky and really reduces itching and scarring. My son initially didn't want any creams on either but once we managed to get a bit of the foam on and he felt how soothing it was then he let us put lather it on! Hope she feels better soon, it's such a nasty virus.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.