My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How to keep warm without heating?

8 replies

elephantonacid · 22/11/2022 13:18

My house is so cold right now. Thermostat says 12 degrees. The days I've had heating on has cost me so much money, according to my smart meter. £7 roughly a day extra. I'm in rented and the epc rating is lowest that's allowed. I work from home and can't have the heating on all the time and am really worried about winter. Any tips to keep warm?

OP posts:
OhPeggySue · 22/11/2022 13:20

There are so many threads on here asking the same thing. The advice is always the same. Layer up, hot water bottle and a heated throw. Exercise, ironing, housework and a brisk walk outside.

BobbyBobbyBobby · 22/11/2022 13:24

Thermal under garments. Thick socks and sheepskin boot slippers and wearing a hat. Moving around every now and then if you are sat working for long periods. Warm drinks. Using your local library and utilising their heating.

Murasakispillowbook · 22/11/2022 13:25

It's easier to stay warm than to get warm. I think.

So, keep the layers on. Don't let your feet get cold.

I'm wearing an old but reliable pure wool polo neck sweater that is the warmest thing on the planet but not thick. Socks. Slippers. Warm trousers.

I'm being a bit bloody minded about the heating tbf.

Coolyule · 22/11/2022 13:31

I used to live with a friend in an old damp cottage that we couldn’t afford to heat. We used to get up and dance about to get warm. I also found lots of layers and a hot water bottle tucked inside a dressing gown helped. Lots of blankets not just one. Heat gets trapped in the layers. Wear 2 or more pairs of socks. Also a hat. And if you can get an oodie, they’re great. Under armour/ long John type things are good too under clothes

fruitsaladsweets · 22/11/2022 13:42

I have some slippers with microwaveable inserts which are a godsend. Warming up your feet really helps the rest of you feel warm. Heated throws are good too, they are very cheap to run and you can have it on your lap/ wrapped around you whilst working.

AuntieMarys · 22/11/2022 13:47

I've put my electric throw on for the first time and it's lovely. 3 layers on and scarf.

SchrodingersKettle · 22/11/2022 13:50

I have socks on + slippers with a hard sole. Leggings under jeans. Vest, long sleeved top, woollen jumper and a hoodie. Scarf for when im not on calls. And a sleeping bag wrapped around my lower half and under my feet.

Im cool but not cold. House is 15 degrees though so I'm not quite down to your level yet.

Make sure you have curtains open when the sun is on the windows to benefit from what little solar warmth you can harvest. Then close the curtains once it gets dark.

IDidntKnowItWasAParty · 22/11/2022 13:53

Same here OP - freezing, but can't afford to heat.
I wear layers - vest; long-sleeved top; sweater or sweatshirt (ideally turtleneck); and if I'm still cold, my wearable blanket: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09CKM1964/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp%3Bth=1&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21
Plus: socks & slippers/shoes; thermal leggings; scarf or snood; fingerless gloves.
Other options: thermal headband; hat.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.