Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wwyd? Obstructed bowel

SillyFood · 23/09/2022 18:58

I’ve had gastric problems for several years and had several stomach ulcers. For the last few months I keep getting intermittent cramping, stomach bloating and diarrhoea. This has been really bad for the last week but I’ve also had vomiting and watery diarrhoea and unable to keep any food down.

I went to my consultant today and a ct scan showed I have a bowel obstruction. She gave me some laxatives and said 72 hour liquid only diet and to call again on Monday if not shifted. I got home 3 hours ago and have been almost nonstop vomiting to the point I’m setting myself 😭. I’m in so much pain I can’t stand up straight, I have a fever and the cramps are getting so bad it feels like labour.

I’ve called 111 to see if I could get advice but they just said as I’d seen the consultant today I just need to stick out the 72 hours liquid diet before going to hospital. Should I go to hospital? She didn’t mention what to do if symptoms got worse/ I got a fever as she seemed really confident the laxatives would do it. I’m guessing I’ve thrown those up along with everything else though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OzricTentacles · 23/09/2022 19:00

I think you need to go to A&E with those symptoms.

Please
or

elevenplusdilemma · 23/09/2022 19:00

I would go to hospital, yes. An obstructed bowel is not to be messed with and it sounds like you're getting worse rather than better. I hope you get the care that you need and deserve.

Please
or

BrendaDraper · 23/09/2022 19:00

A&E, my dad had this, no one realised what it was and it was very serious indeed, it let to a perforated bowel. Go now.

Please
or

BroomHandledMouser · 23/09/2022 19:01

Bless you OP, I think hospital too x

Please
or

Inmy40 · 23/09/2022 19:01

A&E definitely. Immediately x

Please
or

SpellitwithaY · 23/09/2022 20:42

Go to a and e my mum had a bowel tumor and lost 99 percent of her large bowel its.a bloody nightmare even 20 years on....

Please
or

FannyFifer · 23/09/2022 20:46

Bowel obstruction, vomiting, yes you should go to hospital.

Please
or

AnnaMagnani · 23/09/2022 20:47

Go to A+E now.

Please
or

ThelmaDinkley · 23/09/2022 20:50

God I’d go straight to a and e. Good luck and hope you get looked after

Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 23/09/2022 20:51

A and e.

Please
or

xigris · 23/09/2022 20:52

Definitely A&E. Best of luck

Please
or

Ukholidaysaregreat · 23/09/2022 20:54

I would go to A and E. I hope you are OK.

Please
or

MinnyMous · 23/09/2022 20:54

A&E.

Please
or

Chocolateismyfavourite · 23/09/2022 20:55

Yes go to A and E.

Please
or

NighghtmareNeighbour · 23/09/2022 20:56

Straight back to A&E op, please.

Please
or

inheritanceshiteagain · 23/09/2022 20:59

A&E nurse here. Go to a&e it could be serious

Please
or

willowstar · 23/09/2022 20:59

You will need to give your bowel complete rest so will need IV fluids, especially since you are vomiting. I would go to a and e.

Please
or

Kezzie200 · 23/09/2022 21:02

A and e.

Please
or

torthecatlady · 23/09/2022 21:03

I relate to your post so must. I had this and was diagnosed with fecal impaction and gallstones, unrelated though apparently.

I went to a&e and had an X-ray that showed my bowels were completely full. Because the bowels were so full nothing more could go down and that why I was vomiting.

I had so many laxatives and eventually (and painfully) it began clearing. I was told if it didn't start moving I'd have to have a colonoscopy.

Please
or

Soontobe60 · 23/09/2022 21:07

Did the consultant say you have an impacted bowel? My DF had a bowel obstruction, but it was caused by adhesions, not impacted faeces. You need to stop all food consumption until the impactation has cleared - thats whats making you sick. If you’re in agony, then a trip to A+E isn't going to do you any harm - be prepared for a very long wait though!

Please
or

StJeanDeVence · 23/09/2022 21:12

Please go to A&E.

My mum died due to an untreated obstructed bowel. It perforated and she died of sepsis within a few hours.

Please
or

Bbq1 · 23/09/2022 21:32

Op, I've had a perforated bowel. I was very lucky because when they operated on me the surgeon said another 24 hours and I wouldn't have mafe it. Go to A&E NOW

Please
or

Dottydoodoo · 23/09/2022 21:58

I am a surgical nurse and deal with bowel obstructions on a daily basis at work. Please go to A&E as soon as you can. Good luck, I hope you are feeling better soon Flowers

Please
or

TisnotI · 23/09/2022 23:19

H, sorry a little late to this but my DC was in excruciating pain yesterday. Suffers from Ulcerative colitis but thought it was appendix. Phoned 999 but didn't qualify for emergency ambulance, said call 111. Called 111, went through 120 questions, told to take paracetamol and call GP.

I drove DC to A&E, seen within 1 hour and admitted. There was an obstruction in the small intestine that could have led to either perforation of the bowel or obstruction of the blood supply to the colon leading to necrosis.

Sorted now but could have been far, far worse if we had listened to 111.

Please go to A&E f you haven't already.

Please
or

LeavesOnTrees · 23/09/2022 23:22

I hope you've gone to a&e and are being treated.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?