Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Urgent questions re mirgraine before I take myself to a&e

bookworm1982 · 22/09/2022 18:46

Messaging in chat for more responses as I know mirgraine are very common.

I don't know what to do and can't stop crying. I've had a headache since Sunday, not getting any better. Right side of face, throbbing, like when you wake up hungover. Light hurts but not all the time and the pain of the headache isn't always bad - sometimes 3/4 out of 10, other times, like now, it's about 8/9 out of ten. Throbs a lot when I suddenly stand up. No other symptoms except for one dizzy spell on Wednesday. Doctor did a physical examination today, checked my vision, did all that touching the nose and stuff, all ok. Unrelated, I had bloods done a few weeks ago and they were all normal. Doctor believes it's a mirgraine, but agrees it's unusual to suddenly get one when I've never had one before. (I just turned 40)

My questions are:

Does this sound like a mirgraine?
Is it unusual to last this long? When I've googled it it says they last around 72 hours, I'm well over that.
Is it normal to go from bad to ok to back to bad again?

I'm so sure it's something terrible, like a tumour. I'm beside myself with worry. Pleas help xxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

JS87 · 22/09/2022 18:52

Have you done a covid lateral flow test? Covid can cause migraine like symptoms in people who don't normally have migraines.

Please
or

JS87 · 22/09/2022 18:55

Mine usually last 72-96 hours but would be getting better by now. Depends how many painkillers you are throwing at it though. Mine come and go in intensity during the migraine but often its because the painkillers wear off.
I'd have thought migraine (or covid) far more likely than a brain tumour. You might find they are starting as you get nearer to peri/menopause? Whereabouts in your menstrual cycle are you?

Please
or

CamdenLurker · 22/09/2022 18:56

To be honest - I'm not being mean - I suffer from migraines and there's no way I could write a internet post like that if I had one, I can't even look at a screen, or any kind of light.

Maybe it is a migraine, but pain coming and going doesn't sound like anything I've ever had, I could be wrong though and this might be common, I can only talk of my own experience.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Please
or

Shlomping1234 · 22/09/2022 18:59

Sinusitis maybe? Try a nasal spray and sudafed.

Please
or

GetOffTheRoof · 22/09/2022 19:01

CamdenLurker · 22/09/2022 18:56

To be honest - I'm not being mean - I suffer from migraines and there's no way I could write a internet post like that if I had one, I can't even look at a screen, or any kind of light.

Maybe it is a migraine, but pain coming and going doesn't sound like anything I've ever had, I could be wrong though and this might be common, I can only talk of my own experience.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

That's your migraine presentation - plenty of other people can and do work with screens through attacks. I have chronic migraine and have to work with multiple computer screens even if I'm struggling with light. Sometimes its non-negotiable.

OP, no its not unusual to develop migraine as a woman in her 40s - it's quite common with perimenopause. Is there any family member that also has it? Familial links are common.

My attacks do tend to rise and fall in severity as each phase moves on and at my worst I had an attack that lasted about 4 weeks.

Did the GP not prescribe you a triptan like sumatriptan?

What medication have you tried so far?

Please
or

ElizabethinherGermanGarden · 22/09/2022 19:02

Is it the worst headache you've had in your life? If it is, go to A&E.

Please
or

WeAreTheHeroes · 22/09/2022 19:04

I have migraines and I can and do post here when I have them - everyone is different. I need distraction.

If you've never had one before and the headache has lasted more than 72 hours I think it is probably something else. It's unlikely to be a brain tumour. You would have other symptoms long before any kind of headache.

What have you been given for the pain? Have you taken anything yourself? I'm wondering whether you have an infection of some sort. It could be something swollen pressing on a nerve. I once had an ear infection that had me convinced I had a brain tumour. When I finally went to the doctor after a week of terrible pain up the back of my head the infection came out in the form of a swelling behind my ear. Antibiotics sorted it out.

Please
or

Ilikewinter · 22/09/2022 19:04

What medication have you tried already - did the doctor prescribe you anything?.

Please
or

Soapboxqueen · 22/09/2022 19:05

My first migraine happened in my mid-thirties. No prior incidents.

My longest one so far was a week. Literally ugly cried down the phone at the doctor by day 4.

Please
or

2anddone · 22/09/2022 19:06

I currently have Covid and have had a migraine/headache almost non stop for the last 4 days. It goes with painkillers but then comes back I have also been really dizzy.
Went to the dr a couple weeks ago and have been told I am peri menopausal so hoping the headaches/dizziness don't stick around once Covid has gone

Please
or

Popaholic · 22/09/2022 19:07

That sounds awful OP. Did the GP rule out sinus infection, and dental/jaw/gum infection?

People suffer various symptoms with migraine but like @CamdenLurker I also literally cannot bear to look at screens when I have a migraine - it makes the pain unbearable and if I try to, I will vomit.

Same with movement - I definitely can't drive with a migraine. It is like I cannot handle most inputs to my brain including light, noise, motion.

For me the pain is usually located in my head although I wouldnt describe it as my face as such. Applying pressure to my temples can provide a little pain relief. After I have vomited I feel much better and usually sleep in a very deep, seamless sleep and wake a few hours later with a weird sensation I've been asleep for about 12 hours.

Hormonal changes can trigger migraine so they can onset in adulthood even if you never had them before.

How are your symptoms responding to painkillers - what are you taking?

Please
or

Pumpkinsnearlyready · 22/09/2022 19:11

Ime if meds aren't working it's time to try alternatives.
My go to ideas include. :
Cream crackers and real butter.
Bar of milk chocolate.
Ice pack from a first aid kit against the worst area affected.
Cook shower them lie wet on a towel on the bed and get your body temp right down.
Wash your hair and alternate hot /cold water close to your head. Let hair dry naturally.
If you feel actually sick being sick helps also!
Not all together - select a few to try. Took me nearly 40 years to gather my list!

Please
or

lannistunut · 22/09/2022 19:11

It is quite common to get first migraines in middle age, don't understand why your GP said that.

Please
or

properdoughnut · 22/09/2022 19:13

ElizabethinherGermanGarden · 22/09/2022 19:02

Is it the worst headache you've had in your life? If it is, go to A&E.

Agreed. It's perfectly possible it is "just" a migraine but you need to get it looked at if this is the worst you've ever had.

Please
or

britespark1 · 22/09/2022 19:15

Mine started when I was 40 and the neurologist said it’s a very common age for woman to start having them.

Please
or

WeAreTheHeroes · 22/09/2022 19:15

When I had Covid my first symptom was a terrible headache I thought was a migraine, but sumatriptan did nothing. Luckily it only last a couple of days for me.

Please
or

JS87 · 22/09/2022 19:15

Other things that help me other than triptans such as sumatriptan are painkillers containing caffeine and full sugar coca-cola

Please
or

SummerHouse · 22/09/2022 19:15

My friend had terrible headaches and the cause was very much hormonal. Menopause or time of month could be a factor? My DS is very sensitive to smell and (randomly) wind on his eyes during what we think are migraine. But he doesn't actually even get a headache. Just pain in one eye followed by vomiting. It can present so differently in different people. Hang in there OP. Must be horrible for you.

Please
or

doobedooboom · 22/09/2022 19:18

Get some sumatriptan from boots to see if it works - not a painkiller - painkillers don't work on my migraines which can last a long time

Please
or

Chevyimpala67 · 22/09/2022 19:20

Veteran migraine sufferer here

3 x 300mg dispersible aspirin in full sugar coke 3 x per day

It's the ONLY thing tha lt works for me

If you feel nauseous take buccastem M

Please
or

LemonMuffins · 22/09/2022 19:24

Is there any chance it could be tooth related? Tooth problems can cause migraine symptoms.

If it hasn't improved in that many days then maybe call 111 and see what they say.

I get horrendous headaches a few days before my period starts. This only started for me in the last year or so, so maybe menopausal stirrings? Mine don't last more than 2 days though.

Please
or

Fixyourself · 22/09/2022 19:28

I have migraines that last that long.
I would highly recommend acupuncture, my migraines completely disappeared after having it.

Please
or

Villagetoraiseachild · 22/09/2022 19:34

Could be peri menopausal onset migraine as mentioned above. You could get relief from acupuncture or community acupuncture, more affordable. My biggest advice would be to get yourself allergy tested. My breakthrough came when I stopped all caffeine. I was down to tea by this point and loathe to give it up but I did and it was a gamechanger, for me. They are multifactoral, but it could boil down to identifying your particular trigger/s.
Usually warmth helps, bath or shower, deep rest, darkness, tiger balm or Vick on temples and sinus areas plus herbal tea that soothe digestion, i.e camomile, ginger, peppermint. Also soda water helps settle stomach and balance acid. Good luck, you are not alone OP.

Please
or

Beachsidesunset · 22/09/2022 19:46

Are you still taking paracetamol every 4 hours? Why have you started another thread, rather than continue your last?

Please
or

YellowHpok · 22/09/2022 19:52

You need to take 900mg of aspirin, wait an hour, then if no improvement head to A&E. Do not bother them without trying pain relief first. Paracetamol is crap for some migraine sufferers.

Worst migraine of my life lasted 6 days. Took 900mg aspirin on medical advice and it sorted it right out.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?