Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chat

Please talk to me about Air Fryers.

84 replies

PriamFarrl · 26/08/2022 12:12

Hello. Please talk to me about air fryers, I know I’m late to the game here.

We are vegi so no need to cook meat or fish. However I’m aware that I heat the oven to just cook a small amount as there is only two of us.

Are they worth it? How do they work? Is it better than the oven or just cheaper? Can I cook things that I might have in the freezer, like a pie, for example?

Thank you all.

OP posts:
Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 26/08/2022 16:18

I like mine, but a microwave convection oven hybrid is bigger and thus more flexible although not much quicker than a normal oven. I’d go for that first. Either will save you on bills.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 26/08/2022 16:31

PriamFarrl · 26/08/2022 16:14

See now this is where I get confused. I could do that in my oven in that time so why is the air fryer better?

It depends what else you are cooking at the same time. The air fryer is smaller and therefore (I assume!) more energy efficient than a big oven.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 26/08/2022 16:35

Also, no preheating an air fryer as you would an oven.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 26/08/2022 16:36

Yes, that is a huge bonus.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 26/08/2022 16:39

It's also popular with the young adult when they are home, (for reheating things especially)and it just seems less effort than switching the oven on for them.

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 26/08/2022 16:56

SoupDragon · 26/08/2022 16:31

It depends what else you are cooking at the same time. The air fryer is smaller and therefore (I assume!) more energy efficient than a big oven.

Now this is the thing. As there is only two of us I’m sometimes putting the oven on for a small amount of things, say one pie, so I’m heating the whole oven for just that. But the ninja air fryer I’m looking at is 1550 w which is 1.55 kWh, and my oven is 0.95 kWh. So the air fryer costs more to run.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cynderella · 26/08/2022 17:08

PriamFarrl · 26/08/2022 16:14

See now this is where I get confused. I could do that in my oven in that time so why is the air fryer better?

I'm new to air fryers, but I made roasted veg with halloumi a couple of nights ago. It took 25 mins which is probably half the time it would take in my oven if you factor in preheating. If I'm reheating a lasagne I batch-cooked, it can take an hour in my oven including pre heating. Have yet to try in air fryer, but it promises to do it in half the time.

There are other conveniences, so far, I've found: warming croissants in a couple of mins, reheating leftover pizza in less than ten.

Please
or

Lastqueenofscotland2 · 26/08/2022 17:11

I’m veggie, it’s great for crispy tofu and does hallumi nice too

Please
or

Hugasauras · 26/08/2022 17:32

The air fryer cooks stuff in half to a third of the time though and no preheating, so energy costs are most likely less than an electric oven.

Please
or

Madhairday · 26/08/2022 17:38

Thinkle · 26/08/2022 12:35

The basic ones without the bells and whistles are mini ovens that heat up much faster and cook things much faster and crispier. We have a ninja one with a family sized basket but I would still recommend that size for two people because you get more space to cook odd shaped things.

I make a lot of cheese toasties in mine and then use it for a lot of easy foods like quorn products and French fries. I know I don’t use it to its full potential so hopefully others will suggest better ideas.

Yes you could cook a pie

Wait you can make toasties in an air fryer? How do you do that? Excited now 😄

Please
or

Abraxan · 26/08/2022 17:40

Can anyone recommend a smaller, less expensive version?
Are the cheaper models as efficient or good to use?

DD is a student. She has mentioned that she wants to get one and may ask grandparents for one at Christmas. As its her final year she would be able to use it when she moved into her first home too.

Please
or

LubaLuca · 26/08/2022 17:49

I've had a Ninja one for about a year now, and it's used daily (more or less).

Things I've done in it this week:
roast vegetables for a lasagne
reheated lasagne
cheese toastie
part baked rolls
frozen croissants
whole chicken

Maybe other things too, but I can't remember. Obviously if I'd wanted to cook roast potatoes, stuffing etc with the chicken I'd have done it all in the oven, but we had new potatoes and salad so it was better to just use the air fryer.

Please
or

PeloAddict · 26/08/2022 17:52

This is mine, everyone seems to have the basket type ones but mine is shelves!

https://www.very.co.uk/swan-11l-digital-air-fryer-oven/1600632774.prd

Please
or

Ballsaque · 26/08/2022 17:54

I bought a bells an whistles one recently (the ninja 15-in 1) and it’s great.
it’s a beast,huge and cumbersome but it does everything…. Pressure cooker,yogurt maker,makes bread,dehydrates,slow cooks etc etc.

I have used my oven once in 2 months (to do a pizza)
I think it’s probably more efficient than the oven.

Please
or

KittyCatsby · 26/08/2022 17:58

Dh and I are veggie . We've just bought the Ninja 15 in 1 about a week ago . I started off with wedges , then made a chocolate cake . Have made a chickpea & quorn curry in it. Yesterday did a whole meal ( sausages , saute potatoes , and a mix of baby sweetcorn and mange tout. Currently have a loaf of bread cooking in it.
It , airfry / steamfry/ roast / slowcook, pressure cook. rtf , I guess 15 things ! Lol

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 26/08/2022 18:25

I have not mastered doing pizza in it. We do use the normal oven for that still.

Please
or

Madhairday · 26/08/2022 18:31

This is probably a stupid question but can you cook things like macaroni cheese, lasagne directly in the baskets? I know you can cook them in dishes that go in the baskets but they are that bit smaller and wouldnt be enough for the family but using the whole basket would be. Obviously taking the trivet out 🤣

Please
or

savehannah · 26/08/2022 18:38

We got a shelf type one, DH thinks it's great and now gets cross when I use the oven... I'm yet to be convinced. It works ok but it seems to take much much longer than it says in recipes and I end up standing around putting it back on for another 10 minutes rather than just leaving it in the oven and coming back to it done.
Maybe I just haven't got the hang of it yet. It's good for cheese toasties and bacon....

Please
or

Cynderella · 26/08/2022 18:55

Madhairday · 26/08/2022 18:31

This is probably a stupid question but can you cook things like macaroni cheese, lasagne directly in the baskets? I know you can cook them in dishes that go in the baskets but they are that bit smaller and wouldnt be enough for the family but using the whole basket would be. Obviously taking the trivet out 🤣

Yes, you can in mine. Not that I have yet, but have seen pictures of crumbles, lasagnes etc made in the baskets.

Please
or

QforCucumber · 26/08/2022 18:59

We’ve had a Philips one for around 8 years now, it’s still amazing and used at least 3/4 times a week: I do find it much quicker than the oven and it’s definitely cheaper to run

Fajhitas take 15 mins with a shake or 2
mac and cheese 12 mins to bubble and brown
pitta pizzas around 7 mins

Please
or

Mangledrake · 26/08/2022 19:05

I have a cheap one. It's brilliant. Just experiment with timings - it's only a matter of pulling the drawer out to look. But mine takes less than half the time on the packet to do frozen veggie burgers, Quorn things, anything battered etc.

Please
or

user1471518104 · 26/08/2022 19:07

I have the foodi and I love it. My cooker has never been on for months

I have a probe with mine so it cooks the meat perfectly. I can cook roasted veg in 30 mins and they are the best potatoes I have ever had

Please
or

HidingFromDD · 26/08/2022 19:17

Question for those who do roasted veg in the ninja foodi (I’ve got the 11 in 1). How do you do them? I’ve tried just putting them in the main pan but they come out a bit soggy. Any tips?

aside from that I love it and oven hasn’t been on for two months and probably only use the hob 3 times a week max (mainly for pasta, can’t get my head around how you’d cook it in the pasta sauce)

Please
or

AdaColeman · 26/08/2022 19:38

I've got a Philips basket style AF, I do all sorts of things in it. Pizza, cauliflower cheese, mozzarella fingers, vegetable patties, part baked bread, sausages, pies, samosas, falafel, Chinese snacks, all work well in it.
Cheese toasties I do in the toaster with a toaster bag.

They do take up a lot of space as they need space around them so you can pull out the basket safely. I think they would be good for teenagers to cook snacks, chips etc.

Please
or

Eeksteek · 26/08/2022 20:11

Cynderella · 26/08/2022 18:55

Yes, you can in mine. Not that I have yet, but have seen pictures of crumbles, lasagnes etc made in the baskets.

More importantly, can you then put the basket in the dishwasher……

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?