My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

National Trust membership - what’s accessible by public transport?

11 replies

MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 01/08/2022 19:40

I have tbe extreme good fortune to have been gifted a year’s National Trust membership.

I’m currently trying to work out which properties I can access via public transport - ie train & bus and which don’t require a car to access.

So far I have been doing this on a property by property basis - but is there an alternative way of identifying g properties accessible by public transport?

OP posts:
MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 01/08/2022 19:41

PS I’m London based - so giving me swathes of the UK to access by train

OP posts:
LIZS · 01/08/2022 19:46

Box Hill, Sheffield Park (train to East Grinstead then Bluebell line), maybe Wakehurst Place by train/bus

MenaiMna · 01/08/2022 20:10

The app will tell you for each property. And they are very keen for you to use public transport. Another bonus is if you arectaking kids yo can take child guests for free.

fyn · 01/08/2022 20:16

They have pretty good lists - www.nationaltrust.org.uk/days-out/south-east-places-to-visit-near-public-transport

I’d also suggest places like Ascott (ten minutes from Leighton Buzzard station), Waddesdon (twenty minutes from Aylesbury) and Stowe (Bicester/Milton Keynes) would be pretty accessible.

MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 01/08/2022 21:00

fyn · 01/08/2022 20:16

They have pretty good lists - www.nationaltrust.org.uk/days-out/south-east-places-to-visit-near-public-transport

I’d also suggest places like Ascott (ten minutes from Leighton Buzzard station), Waddesdon (twenty minutes from Aylesbury) and Stowe (Bicester/Milton Keynes) would be pretty accessible.

Ha - that’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for (unsuccessfully!). Going through the website on a property by property basis was tedious and not particularly productive.

I’ve been v impressed the quality of the guided tours for the smaller (relatively speaking) properties in London.

The furthest I’ve ventured afield so far has been to the stunning Bodnant Gardens in Wales (a few trains and a bus) - a somewhat random choice drive. By the home page of the National Trust website flagging the seasonal wi Dow for seeing the laburnum arch!

OP posts:
FulhamPalaceGardens · 01/08/2022 21:29

If you are London based, go to Osterley Park on the Piccadilly line. Huge Georgian house and lovely gardens / nature trail.

Or Ham House, tube to Richmond then 65 bus or walk along the Riverside for 20 mins along one of the loveliest stretches on the Thames.

fyn · 01/08/2022 21:35

You can get to a pretty good amount of properties in the Lake District by public transport too. If you get the fast train from Euston it’s 2 and a half hours to Oxenholme and then there is a decent bus service to the main villages.

PattyMelt · 01/08/2022 21:35

I was going to suggest Bodnant gardens till you said London, but you have been. The bus runs past regularly.

MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 01/08/2022 23:23

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions

OP posts:
RoseMartha · 02/08/2022 07:53

Lanhydrock, 1.45 mile walk from station
Petworth, Train then bus.
Knole, Train then 35 min walk.
Claremont garden, train then bus

dubyalass · 02/08/2022 08:55

Trelissick in south-west Cornwall is doable by bus from Truro, I can't remember if the bus goes to the car park but it's not a huge walk if not. You can walk round the coast path from Falmouth to Glendurgan but I don't know if there's a bus to anywhere near. Some of the Devon ones likely are too, but I've not tried it, I've always driven.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.