Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How do I get my DD assessed for ND traits?

Illstartexercisingtomorrow · 29/07/2022 12:16

Hi - not sure if this is the right topic to post under but need the traffic.

DD is 9. I have always thought she has some ND traits, but it’s never been obvious enough for anyone else to pick up on it. Teachers have never said anything. However recently DH also said something along the lines of wondering if there was more to her behaviour.

So I made a list of traits/behaviours that I find odd/unusual/inappropriate - I think she may have Asperger’s, or at least some traits of it.

So I want to get her assessed to see if there is something there. Mainly so I can support her better, as I think there are some communication and social issues that she could do with some help with.

How do I get her assessed? It needs to be with someone who is willing to look a little deeper under the surface, as I think she can hide these traits quite often and just come across as uninterested or rude.

Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Illstartexercisingtomorrow · 29/07/2022 17:23

Bumping

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lesina · 29/07/2022 17:31

Your first port of call should be with your GP to ask for a referral. This may take repeated attempts as it did with us. We also worked with school to get a FACT and a FACT plus completed that was sent along to the GP to press for a referral. This process took over a year. We had an initial assessment with CAMHS who referred to a paediatrics psychiatrist. This appointment is scheduled for end of August. In my experience it takes a huge amount of persistence along with the support of school and any other clubs etc the child is part of to get anywhere. I appreciate others may have had different experiences. There are private clinics that offer assessments should you want to go down that route but I understand their findings are not always accepted by the NHS/ LEA etc.

Please
or

thatsnotmynamec · 29/07/2022 20:24

It's different in different areas. Where we live it would be school senco first. School would observe for a term and decide whether to refer to asd pathway. Alternatively you could ask gp for a paediatrician appointment as they can refer. The term Asperger's isn't used any more. It's just autism. Asd Wait list again it varies but is typically around 2 years. Your final option if you can afford it is to go private.

Please
or

Illstartexercisingtomorrow · 30/07/2022 08:06

Thanks both.

School and GP will not take any action. Because her traits/behaviours are very subtle, and they are too overwhelmed and stretched to take any real notice.

How do I go about getting a private assessment?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pashazade · 30/07/2022 08:11

Hi OP, for a private assessment Google private autism assessments and your county and see what comes up. I'd double check that the clinical psychologist(s) are registered with a national body but there are lots to choose from. Expect to pay a minimum of £400 if you're in the south east.

Please
or

Pashazade · 30/07/2022 08:13

Sorry should add you just contact them direct and say that's what you want done.

Please
or

Illstartexercisingtomorrow · 02/08/2022 13:42

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

FirstAidKitNowPlease · 02/08/2022 13:45

I'm just doing this now with a private psychologist. Also look on National Autistic Society website for info

Please
or

Illstartexercisingtomorrow · 04/08/2022 21:30

@FirstAidKitNowPlease How did you find the right psychologist/one you thought would be good for your dc?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BadgerFace · 04/08/2022 21:43

We have just booked a private assessment for our 9 year old DD and used the National Autustic Society website and personal recommendations to draw up a short list. Enquired about timelines and cost and then chose on the basis of reviewing the website content, reviews, ease of access and soonest available (September when we enquired early July).

We filled in a fairly comprehensive questionnaire and have an hour’s parental telephone interview booked followed by an in person assessment for our daughter the following week.

Our school SENCO said she hadn’t ruled out ASD (our daughter self-referred to the SENCO after a talk she gave in Neurodiversity week in March about autism) and suggested we get her on the NHS waiting list in case she needed a diagnosis in the future to access help or adjustments but we didn’t want to wait two years.

Please
or

BadgerFace · 23/09/2022 18:10

Hi @Illstartexercisingtomorrow I just wanted to update that we had my daughter’s assessment last night and she was diagnosed as autistic. I wasn’t sure which way it would go as hers also seems subtle as your post said but the speech and language therapist picked up through their session what I had felt was there. If you are near south east London then I’d highly recommend the clinic we used.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?