My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Dehumidifiers - talk to me.

40 replies

Butterfly211 · 12/03/2022 19:44

Do I ned to measure my rooms etc before choosing a size??

I want it to dry clothes as I'm tired of turning in the heating to do it because the weather sucks. We also get condensation on the windows in the mornings, so I think it would be an investment.

All bedrooms (3) are upstairs, so would the dehumidifier need to be upstairs?
What about my living room window downstairs?
Do I have to have it right beside my laundry when I use it for drying clothes?

I'm looking at a Swan 10 litre one and hoping it's more than enough 😂

---

This thread is a bit old now, but if you've landed here looking for recommendations, we've recently updated our best dehumidifiers round-up, full of products tried, tested and recommended by Mumsnet users.
We hope you will find this useful.
MNHQ Flowers

OP posts:
MegaClutterSlut · 12/03/2022 21:46

I have a swan one for upstairs which cost about £250. Its brilliant, collects loads of water and dries clothes quickly. I have another dehumifier for downstairs, can't remember the make. It cost £100 and its a load of crap. Collects barely anything as its not powerful enough

Mrsdoubtfireswig · 12/03/2022 21:52

I wish I’d got one years ago. I’ve got a Meaco one - 10l I think? And it can dry a maiden full of clothes overnight. No more condensation on the windows, upstairs and downstairs. Had to empty loads in first few weeks presumably as was drying the house out but now just once a day, and it clicks off when reaches optimum humidity levels and don’t use tumble drier at all now

gillybean2 · 12/03/2022 22:34

I’ve got the ebac eco one with laundry mode. It ‘learns’ when the peek times are and switches itself on and off so it’s not running constantly. I notice it clicking on when someone has a shower or I’m cooking.

I switch the laundry mode on and put it next to the clothes horse and it does a very good job of drying.

I used to empty it 2 or 3 times a day at first but now it’s once a day, maybe a bit more if I’m drying laundry. Definitely get the biggest capacity you can afford. You can also get a tube to drain into a sink etc if you’ve got it in the kitchen.

Check out the ebac website and then check on Amazon etc for offers. I got mine in the black Friday sales a few years and it was half the usual price so worth looking around.

Poppyliveshere · 12/03/2022 23:03

We’ve had a Meaco for years (very good) and a rubbish DeLongi before that. Great for drying washing

MarmiteCoriander · 12/03/2022 23:37

Op- Yes, I certainly would measure your room and IMO double the size of dehumidifier you need. Worse case you turn it off sooner- but you likely wont. Depending on how sealed the room is? How sealed your windows are etc
I bought this a year ago, but not a reconditioned one:
www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/78129611%2f1%2fpd45e/electriq-781296111pd45e--dehumidifier

In a tightly sealed, small room it worked very well and you see the water filling in the tank. They don't work below I think 10', so no idea why/how someone would have them working in a garden shed/unheated garage? I'm now renovating and living in a tiny static van. I've put it in the very small bedroom, but when its too cold- it extracts absolutely nothing- even when there its dripping moisture on walls, inside cupboards and on the windows.

I'd keep it in a tightly sealed room with your washing, well above 10' and see how it goes.

MintLampShade · 13/03/2022 00:12

www.onbuy.com/gb/electriq-20l-low-energy-antibacterial-dehumidifier-and-air-purifier~c4740~p51869762/?exta=gshp&stat=eyJpcCI6IjE3My45NzAwIiwiZHAiOm51bGwsImxpZCI6NzA0NzcyNzEsInMiOm51bGwsInQiOjE2NDcwMzEwOTUsImJtYyI6MH0=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh7nAl-TB9gIVeY9oCR0rVgweEAQYByABEgIezvD_BwE

This is what we have. As PPs have said, the bigger the better! We have this in our average 3 bed semi.
I put it in our smallest bedroom when drying clothes, I usually do it overnight / evening. When dehumidifying the house, it's downstairs near the stairs with all doors open upstairs so it can reach all the rooms.
As I said, ours isn't a huge house but the dehumidifier is supposed to be for a 5 bed house and it works perfectly so the "double up" comment seem to be true for us. We also put it in individual rooms when condensation is exceptionally bad with the door shut and works absolute wonders!

Also love the air purifier function on ours, helps a lot in hay-fever season!!

Chouetted · 13/03/2022 01:15

Don't make the mistake of putting one in your bedroom - I did this and have never felt so dry on waking up!

Like PP said, if you're canny with placement, one can do the entire house. Mine lives in my kitchen, which is central - humidity monitors in the rest of the house all clearly show it working.

etulosba · 13/03/2022 01:29

Desiccant dehumidifiers warm the air, whereas the other type (compressor?) cool the air so also take this into account as you could end up making a costly mistake depending on the time of year.

They work like fridges, so they warm the air as much as they cool it.

silentpool · 13/03/2022 05:42

Mine is a 12 litre one I bought in Asia - so can't recommend on brand but can confirm that that size stood up to the damp of the tropics. I use it to prevent damp and dry laundry.

What works well is to shut it in a small room with the drying rack and by morning, the washing will be dry.

CMOTDibbler · 13/03/2022 06:25

I have a Mitsubishi one which was pricey but is going strong after 15, nearly 16, years of use. I have a big x wing drying rack and put as much as possible on hangers and then I can do 4 loads overnight in a shut room. This house isn't damp, but our previous one was and we'd put it on the landing and after a few weeks the difference was incredible

thecatneuterer · 13/03/2022 09:07

@MarmiteCoriander Mine works amazingly in my unheated outbuilding. (Which as I said, has animals in it, all causing condensation). I only need to run it for two hours a night. The tank fills in four nights usually. With it the building stays dry and mould free. Without it there is water running down the walls and windows and mould starts to grow in a matter of days. I have no idea how often the temperature goes below 10C, but I imagine it must do sometimes (although I do also often leave an electric heater on a low thermostat in very bad weather).

caringcarer · 13/03/2022 09:59

I got one when washing machine flooded on to kitchen floor and water got under tiles. I would not be without it now. I put it on for 2 hours overnight and in morning a tub of water collected. Every morning. I was shocked and don't really know where water is coming from.

MarmiteCoriander · 13/03/2022 14:08

@thecatneuterer- I must have the compressor type because as soon as mine is below 10', it will remain working, but not a drip of water will come out- even in a steamy, wet room.

Someone explained up thread that there are 2 types, so you must have a desiccant one in your outbuilding.

thecatneuterer · 13/03/2022 14:22

@MarmiteCoriander I have no idea. All I know is that it's around 20 years old.

Alwayswonderedwhy · 13/03/2022 14:29

We've got a 10L in a three bed house. Mainly used in one of the bedrooms but I do use it next to my clothes airer to help dry clothes

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.