My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Whether to get small or big soft toy for baby? And where to get it?

39 replies

Applecakes987 · 09/02/2022 13:02

Very excitingly, my sister is expecting a baby very soon. I would like to get a soft toy for the baby. (I checked with my sister whether this would be a good gift, and she said it would.) I don't have children, and this is her first child, so neither of us knows - do babies prefer small toys - which might be easier for tiny hands to hold? - or big toys - is it easier for them to put their arms around a big toy than grasp a small one?!

What do you think?!

Also, where's a good place to buy soft toys?!

She said she's heard that babies are not likely to be interested in toys to begin with, but the toy will be there for the baby to express interest in at some point!

Thanks very much for any thoughts on this!

OP posts:
Needcoffeecoffeecoffee · 09/02/2022 13:44

As everyone else jellycat are lovely and they do books to match now too.
Just check the age on them because of the eyes or embellishments to make sure it's from newborn for anything you buy
When dd was born an aunt got a massive bear and it just sat in the corner of the nursery making me jump everytime I went in and gathering dust so please dont go for the bigger the better

DedalusBloom · 09/02/2022 13:45

My vote is for this guy. He's adorable.

www.jellycat.com/crumble-fox-crum6f/

Whether to get small or big soft toy for baby? And where to get it?
GiantKitten · 09/02/2022 13:51

You could also consider a medium-sized jellycat zebra. Tiny babies can see black and white patterns more clearly than anything else afaik (except faces)

(You could get one of these pram books too Smile)

www.amazon.co.uk/Gallery-Infant-Development-Puzzle-Animal/dp/B0772RL4GV/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Somethingsnappy · 09/02/2022 14:38

None of my four children became interested in soft toys until about 2 years old, but I agree... Jellycat are lovely. Some of their toys, given as birth presents, eventually became firm favourites.

Applecakes987 · 09/02/2022 15:17

Thank you so much for the replies - super helpful! And a great tip about getting a spare - I’d not thought of that!

OP posts:
SartresSoul · 09/02/2022 15:21

My DS has a liewood bear which he calls brown bear, he also has a crochet Miffy toy I bought in Tate gallery when I was pregnant. Other teddies are largely ignored but he loves those two.

This is the bear:
www.folkinteriors.co.uk/products/barty-the-bear-beige?gclid=CjwKCAiA6Y2QBhAtEiwAGHybPTX6gK9CYF2qEYRj2TkOb7YxPLrtxJY-HUwxTBLoLzQzvBYXrcWTkxoCW6sQAvD_BwE&variant=31587905830969

MouseholeCat · 09/02/2022 16:00

I've got a 3-month-old. One of the first toys she interacted with (cooing at and stroking) was her medium-sized Jellycat cat.

Another option is to get one of those stuffed toys which you can heat in the microwave. It's great for warming the cot/moses basket before putting baby down in it- many babies will wake up and cry when they are put down and a warmed mattress can prevent this from happening. DD has a dragon one of these which we use for warming, but when it's cool she also likes looking at it/grabbing it.

Fupoffyagrasshole · 09/02/2022 16:04

Yeah I’ve a few jelly cat bunnies

One lives at my mums so whenever we visit she has one in her cot there

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 09/02/2022 16:04

Choose something with a narrowish neck. Perfect for a little arm to get around.

(Nearly every picture we have with DD2 has her Giraffe in it, being dragged around by its neck)

Repetitivebeats · 09/02/2022 16:05

Definitely not a big one! Ex PILs got DS a massive (like toddler size) cuddly dog when he was born and I spent years tripping over the fucker until he went to the charity shop.

He was also given a soft Mothercare bear that was suitable for a newborn. It became his comfort bear and used to go to nursery with him so I lived in terror of it getting lost! It never did though and still shares his bed now he's a stinky teenager Grin

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 09/02/2022 16:06

Another good gift is giant muslin squares. We had a set of Aden and Anais ones, we used them for swaddling in the early days but they soon became a comforter of their own. Ds was always dragging one around with him.

edwinbear · 09/02/2022 17:22

Jellycat, definitely with spares. DS has two monkeys that still sleep with him, he's 12. We thought we'd lost one on a bus once, thankfully not, but the stress before we actually found him. When DD was born I bought 4 identical rabbits rather than face the stress of losing one Grin

londonmummy1966 · 09/02/2022 17:46

Embarassingly DC1 picked out a polar bear DH got at a trade show as THE ONE. DH ended up having to email the sales rep to ask for another. (They sent it along with a bigger version)

Petit Bateau do a stripy bunny which is good as a first toy as young babies are drawn to black and white contrast. www.childrensalon.com/petit-bateau-rabbit-soft-toy-26cm-388692.html

Applecakes987 · 10/02/2022 07:18

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I've been looking at the jellycat site and other links people provided - so cute!!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.