Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

If your child has a plain table as a desk, what are your storage solutions?

AddingMustard · 23/01/2022 11:06

DD has a desk in her room, it's not integrated with anything so basically just a table. No shelves, drawers etc to store stuff in so she dumps everything on top and then works at the dining room table. What are good solutions going forwards? She is 9 so will need to use it as a desk soon. What works for your DC and is easy to keep organised?

Will she need space to store folders, papers, text books? Do kids do work on paper at secondary or is it all computer based?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Whatwouldnanado · 23/01/2022 11:20

DD 17 is doing A levels, has a square pine table in her room and thinks it's great. Most modern desks are very narrow with little space to open folders, books etc alongside a laptop. She has pots for pens, stand up box files, and a double layer tray thing. On the wall in front of it she has a couple of shelves and a pinboard. Look on Pinterest for ideas and make it a fun project for her.

Please
or

AddingMustard · 23/01/2022 14:48

Look on Pinterest for ideas
I think everyone on Pinterest has a bedroom the size of our living room Shock It's a large desk, space for laptop and books.
Hadn't thought of a pinboard. That might work.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Icantremembermyusername · 23/01/2022 15:16

DC had a plastic 3 drawer unit which fitted under the table. You can pick them up quite cheaply in asda, b and m, argos, etc.

Please
or

WeAllHaveWings · 23/01/2022 15:17

ds(17) has had a tall thin Ikea Billy bookcase next to his desk for the last few years and it works well.

Ikea sell extra shelves for it separately and we have used them so he has slots each around 6-7" high and it is the perfect size for putting A4 notes/folders/revision books for each subject in horizontally.

If your dd's desk is large enough (and in a corner) the half height slim book case can also work well sitting in the corner on the desk (I have that setup on the large desk where I WFH.

Notice board is also good for timetables, study plans etc. We also have a couple of these basic lightweight clipboards which hang off the pins on the notice board.

Please
or

LunchWithAGruffalo · 23/01/2022 15:31

Mine both have a set of IKEA drawers. Alex? DSs desk is set up with the draws being the support on one side, DDs just stand next to her table. These hold all thier paper, pens, art stuff and each has a draw for the various charging cables.

DD had a really useful box, one of the ones which holds hanging files, for her school books and papers. Most stuff comes through Google classroom now so it's not used much.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.