Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

North London/South London divide

DedalusBloom · 23/01/2022 09:09

I've lived in both. I currently live in South London and have for the last 15 years. Personally I prefer South to North London but the majority of friends live North of the river.

It always ends up being me that does the lion's share of travel to get to get togethers with friends and family. People pull faces and say "Oh but it's so far away!" without thinking for a second that it's the exact same amount of time for me to get to them as the other way round.

We do try and meet in the middle to make it fair but suggestions for bars and restaurants are always in North London. At the very best it's the South Bank ( which is just honorary North really).
Suggestions of anywhere in the southern outposts of the tube just get shot down.

So (lighthearted!) why do people dislike south London so much?

OP's posts:
Please
or

twilightcafe · 23/01/2022 09:11

Fewer tube lines.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 23/01/2022 09:18

Your friends need to live a little Grin

Lots happy to travel to Peckham and Brixton as an alternative to Shoreditch/Dalston.

Borough Market/Bankside/Southbank, etc too.

Please
or

dreamingbohemian · 23/01/2022 09:23

People are lazy. And there are a lot of unfair stereotypes about South London.

Please
or

KaptainKaveman · 23/01/2022 09:24

Why do people dislike south London so much?

Because it isn't North London Wink

N. Londoner here, born and bred. I can't imagine moving to the South.

Please
or

Yumperwumpee · 23/01/2022 09:25

I used to live north of the river and then moved south. Christ it was so much easier and nicer to get into central London from South London. Ten minutes direct to London Bridge. 20 to charing Cross.

Please
or

Keke94LND · 23/01/2022 09:26

Yeah I get this, although I have a lot of friends south thankfully but I think it's because the south is poorly connected compared with the north (it's crazy when you look at a pic of the tube lines)

Please
or

Haus1234 · 23/01/2022 09:26

People are lazy and don’t like to travel far if they can get away with it - most of my friends live south so we can meet in Clapham/Brixton easily which is great. When we have to go all the way to North London to visit people I do complain!

Please
or

SimonedeBeauvoirscat · 23/01/2022 09:27

South Londoners and North Londoners are fundamentally incompatible. But - and I think we can all agree that this is the most important thing - both are wildly better than West Londoners, who are completely beyond the pale.

Please
or

Yazoop · 23/01/2022 09:27

Isn’t it just that north of the river is the most convenient for the vast majority of people in your circle? Particularly given tube links in South London are sparse. I’d say it is more about that than being anti-south London! (Saying that, I’m definitely more of a north Londoner…)

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 23/01/2022 09:28

We always meet over the river but easy for all.

I think that’s fine

I like living in SE but not so much meeting has to be here if people are west London etv

Please
or

Thighdentitycrisis · 23/01/2022 09:34

I think it’s because most of. the centre of the city is north of the river. City of London, west end, theatre land, Covent Garden, etc. we rarely have to go South for anything really except Borough Market and the South Bank as you mentioned are ‘honorary north’

I’m sure there are loads of lovely places south, just as in the north in the south but we never need to go there.

I would stick to turn taking with the visiting friends

Please
or

IDidntKnowItWasAParty · 23/01/2022 09:41

I'm a north Londoner. I have the opposite problem - most of my friends live in south London and they simply will not contemplate going north of the river! They'll go to Southbank at a push, and always complain about the effort. So it's always me trekking down and back. As your friends, they don't acknowledge that the journey they refuse to do, is the one I am always forced to do if I ever want to see them!

Please
or

Classicblunder · 23/01/2022 09:55

My problem is East Londoner friends who think being in Hackney 15 mins walk from the rubbish frequency Overground is the centre of everything!

Please
or

DedalusBloom · 23/01/2022 10:47

@SimonedeBeauvoirscat

South Londoners and North Londoners are fundamentally incompatible. But - and I think we can all agree that this is the most important thing - both are wildly better than West Londoners, who are completely beyond the pale.

I'm a West Londoner by birth (Hammersmith) so I do feel a bit guilty about agreeing with you but it's the side of London I find most dispiriting too.
OP's posts:
Please
or

DedalusBloom · 23/01/2022 10:55

I agree that tube links south aren't amazing but the overground links up pretty much anywhere else- it's 20 minutes max into Victoria for me and Brixton and Clapham are just up the road and on the tube, full of great places to go for even the most timid of North Londoners.
Mind you, I lived in Tottenham for a long time - it's only just occurred to me that maybe I just like living near chicken shops.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SimonedeBeauvoirscat · 23/01/2022 12:25

I’m beginning to suspect that West London is actually a figment of the Evening Standard property section’s imagination. I never seem to meet anyone who actually lives there. It’s as though once you get west of Hyde Park the A-Z just contains question marks and ‘here be dragons’.

Please
or

RedCandyApple · 23/01/2022 12:29

My ex lives in west London and always use to make horrible comments about my area because I live in south London, use to laugh at me and say my area was horrible and that he would never live here and didn’t like visiting.

Please
or

BennysBingoBonanza · 23/01/2022 12:30

To be fair, there’s one thing south London has that north London doesn’t. A nice view across the river.

Most of our friends are south and we’re north. We meet up centrally all the time by which I mean Covent Garden, Soho etc. Central London is north or the river, largely.

Please
or

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool · 23/01/2022 12:31

There’s no there there when it comes to alleged West London. South London’s very nice but it’s just not quite right.

Please
or

nordica · 23/01/2022 12:32

I've had the same experience. I did a training course in North London and when someone found out I was commuting in from near Lewisham she was shocked about the long journey like I'd said I was coming from Inverness 😂

I think people are sometimes intimidated by the trains too, somehow it doesn't seem as easy to change to a train at London Bridge as it does to just change tube lines.

Please
or

KittenKong · 23/01/2022 12:34

Takes longer to drive through south London. We are central and have people north and south, and going south the traffic is generally heavier and slower.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 23/01/2022 12:34

Ha at West comments. I know many as the two sectors I did study for tends to lead to living in WL or SE (I chose latter, friends other)

I don’t know anyone really in N or E

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 23/01/2022 12:40

I live in north London but just hate it all now

But it seems to me that people divide into "fine with trekking about" and "not fine with trekking about". I'd be surprised if your friends are just thinking "I won't go sarf of the river".

In my 20s I lived in both areas. I drove back then, south London traffic was worse. Probably all much of a muchness now?

Please
or

OhWhyNot · 23/01/2022 12:40

Maybe you are just that friend that is expected to travel

I used to be that friend I had to point it out to make changes

As for north/south I was raised and live in south London I feel I’m home it’s a nice cosy feeling once I’ve crossed one of the bridges when I have been abroad I don’t feel quite as home in north London (and lived there for a while)

Please
or

dreamingbohemian · 23/01/2022 13:54

@RedCandyApple

My ex lives in west London and always use to make horrible comments about my area because I live in south London, use to laugh at me and say my area was horrible and that he would never live here and didn’t like visiting.

I had a friend from West London who refused to come see me in Brixton because "she didn't want to get stabbed"

We didn't stay friends very long after that!
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.