Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Really helpful (not helpful) advice

FurbleSocks · 22/01/2022 23:41

Obviously the cost of living is rising at the moment and I've seen a few month saving articles including that ridiculous Times article about swapping a nanny for an au pair

One I've just seen is 'blowing 10 grand a year on partying and now saving thousands'. I don't have £10k to blow on partying in the first place! I wish I drank Starbucks coffee, or smoked so I could give it up and save ££££. But I can't afford them in the first place and smoking is a filthy habit. And I already wear thermal socks and thick jumpers when I work from home. What not helpful 'helpful' advice have you seen?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Theflamingnerd · 23/01/2022 00:58

This sort of advice reminds me of the MN classic response to earning a few extra Bob "just take in some ironing" Hmm

Please
or

Wiglio · 23/01/2022 06:51

Reminds me of the Tracey Ullman sketch
‘In Claam (Clapham) we share things, like…. the chauffeur’

Please
or

truthfullylying · 23/01/2022 06:58

Most of the advice rich people give to poor people is bullshit because it ignores the fact that poor people have limited access to the solutions rich people have, because they are POOR.

Problem: 'I have been housed in a bedsit in central London with only a kettle'
Answer from rich twat: 'Grow vegetables in your non-existent garden and cook lentils on your non-existent cooker'

Angry

Please
or

TeaStory · 23/01/2022 07:20

The trouble is that when a poorer person says, “I can’t afford it”, the richer person assumes they mean “I have the money but prefer to spend it on other things”. I remember getting so irate with someone like that because they just didn’t get it that I did not physically have the money, at all.

I agree it’s frustrating to see tips like “don’t buy coffee every day” or “make lunch at home to take to work” when you already do those. So patronising.

Please
or

mbosco · 23/01/2022 07:48

I used to work in a charity supporting homeless young people. We had a student who was unbelievably confident in his own experience and skill, and just outrageously out of touch with the reality of life for our young people.

As part of his uni course, he had to plan, deliver, and evaluate a groupwork course, and - after consultation with some of our young people - he chose to have an 'affordable cooking' theme.

On the first week, he gathered his little group of 18 year old care-leavers together and taught them how to make...
... a homemade piccalilli.

Please
or

Loopytiles · 23/01/2022 07:49

Grin
Please
or

00100001 · 23/01/2022 07:50

There's a news article that keeps popping up "we're having to hire a 10k Au Pair and get rid if our £40k Nanny, as we prepare for the financial squeeze"

Or some such bullshit

Please
or

FindingMeno · 23/01/2022 07:57

Keep your heating low to save energy bills.
Great if you don't live in a damp house

Get a prescription pre-payment.
Fine if you can afford it, but it's cheaper not to get your prescriptions.

There's help for low income families.
But fuck all if you're just above the threshold.

It's sensible to pay into a pension.
Not if it means you can't pay the bills.

Shop local and organic to save the planet.
Great unless you're on an Asda budget.

Please
or

Survivingmy3yearold · 23/01/2022 09:00

When people say "just buy in bulk, it's much cheaper" Hmm Yes, because when you're down to your last £40 to feed a family of 4 for a month, you're going to spend a quarter of that on a sack of rice Confused And it's usually followed by "just get a slow cooker, they're only £20 and they're much cheaper to run." Again, when you don't have £20 spare it's not an option

Please
or

MoiraNotRuby · 23/01/2022 09:04

It is so depressing when you have been following the advice for years. The problem is there is no new money saving advice. I have a tiny freezer and nowhere to put a 2nd freezer. So I'm particularly sick of batch cooking tips!

Please
or

floridana · 23/01/2022 10:00

I find the free Tesco magazine full of useless hints and tips like this.

'Take advantage of buy one get one free offers!'

'Look around for reduced items, they taste just as fresh and cost less!'

So basically, common sense things that we are already doing then.

Please
or

Theflamingnerd · 23/01/2022 14:31

@Survivingmy3yearold

When people say "just buy in bulk, it's much cheaper" Hmm Yes, because when you're down to your last £40 to feed a family of 4 for a month, you're going to spend a quarter of that on a sack of rice Confused And it's usually followed by "just get a slow cooker, they're only £20 and they're much cheaper to run." Again, when you don't have £20 spare it's not an option

I hate this advice because it also assumes you have the space to store 20 kilos of rice, odds are if you're struggling financially you won't have a pantry for bulk shopping.
Please
or

FurbleSocks · 23/01/2022 17:38

@MoiraNotRuby

It is so depressing when you have been following the advice for years. The problem is there is no new money saving advice. I have a tiny freezer and nowhere to put a 2nd freezer. So I'm particularly sick of batch cooking tips!

This is exactly it. No new money saving advice. I did all the original ones back in 2008 with the credit crunch and my finances haven't recovered since.

My main Christmas present this year was a heated throw for when I work from home. I'm not saving petrol money because my office was only 2 miles away. I am spending money on heating and lighting though!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Survivingmy3yearold · 24/01/2022 18:48

@Theflamingnerd yes, exactly!

Please
or

CorrBlimeyGG · 24/01/2022 18:55

"Why don't you shop in Aldi?"

Said to someone with no Aldi in walking distance and no car.

"Lots of bargains at your local market!"

My market is four stalls of dog treats and MLM sellers.

Please
or

BlusteryLake · 24/01/2022 18:58

Another one is "sell some of your unwanted items on eBay". Utterly useless if you need all your clothes etc, and use them until they are worn out so nobody would buy them anyway.

Please
or

Returnoftheowl · 24/01/2022 19:03

The "save money by giving up smoking" always annoys me as it seem to feature in every money saving tips column. What about those of us who never started? Surely non-smokes massively outnumber smokers these days? And I'd assume anyone who does smoke isn't blind to the price of cigarettes.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.