Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The art of pottering about

Indecisivelurcher · 22/01/2022 16:54

Feel like I've had an epiphany, hear me out! I've got loads of jobs to do at home, it's making me feel a bit stressed to be honest. Decorating bits, clearing the loft, tidying the shed, gardening. I have been wondering how to get through it all, putting things into a mental list. Then I thought, why am I rushing to get through all these jobs? What am I rushing to do? Sit on my bum? Maybe for some people, the jobs are the point! So wise mumsnet, is pottering through jobs the point rather than the end?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cheekypeach · 22/01/2022 16:55

Yes I think so. Essentially all life is meaningless, and we will eventually be dust.

Please
or

Notmrsfitz · 22/01/2022 16:59

I work part time and have had/have issues regarding stress etc -I found pottering reduces my stress levels, things get done and there’s no great pressure - I’m a huge fan of pottering !
Today I put some stuff in the attic, hoovered the house, changed the bedding, put some bigger stuff away, baked a cake, swept and tidied the garden and did it all in my own time - had I written the list to do it, I’d have been totally overwhelmed.
Ps- I didn’t look at the ironing

Please
or

Indecisivelurcher · 22/01/2022 16:59

Well you're not wrong @Cheekypeach but I'm trying to be a bit more cheerful about the pottering! Brew

OP's posts:
Please
or

FriedTomatoe · 22/01/2022 17:03

Definitely a fan of pottering. I feel that for every hour of housework completed, I deserve an hour of rest. It's a perfect ratio for a lazy Saturday.

Please
or

Indecisivelurcher · 22/01/2022 17:06

Pottering fans, do you enjoy the actual pottering???

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cheekypeach · 22/01/2022 17:06

@Indecisivelurcher

Well you're not wrong *@Cheekypeach* but I'm trying to be a bit more cheerful about the pottering! Brew

Sorry Grin
Please
or

Indecisivelurcher · 22/01/2022 17:12

No worries, I'm down with being eaten by worms one day and returning to mother nature 😁 Although hopefully not before I've got more of these jobs done 😂

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ted27 · 22/01/2022 17:16

Yes I do like a good potter, today I took some stuff to the charity shop, posted a card, went to the greengrocers, home, cup of tea, sent an important email, did a bit of tidying. Went into town to see an art exhibition, came home via Wilkos - fat balls and a few gardening bits.
I'm just having a cup of tea, then I'll drop the stuff up at the allotment, fill the bird feeders. Tonight I'll have dinner with my son, watch a bit of TV, will probably get his Liverpool FC quiz book out and put him through his paces.
I feel like I've been reasonably productive.
I like pottering on my allotment even more - thats for tomorrow

Please
or

Woofwoofbarkbark · 22/01/2022 17:17

I love pottering. If I need to do a big rask then I'll just get in with it. But if I have a whole load of small jobs then I potter my way through them.
Big pottering fan!

Please
or

Woofwoofbarkbark · 22/01/2022 17:18

Oh i hate my new phone. Hopefully you get the jist!

Please
or

CherryAndAlmond · 22/01/2022 17:21

Yes! I love moving things around in my house - not heavy furniture, just lamps, ornaments etc. Changing things. Watering plants. Slowly clearing stuff out. Productive faffing. And all the time I'm muttering to myself and having imaginary conversations. It clears my head.

Please
or

WTF475878237NC · 22/01/2022 17:27

I love pottering aka productive faffing Grin

It is what lazy weekends are made for as PP said. I think a bit of pottering amongst the must dos of life is great. Thinking about it now, pottering is what I do when I don't have the energy for what really gives me joy and have no inclination to do chores.

Please
or

buckeejit · 22/01/2022 23:51

I like organising pottering which I feel takes precedence over housework. I sorted the hotpress the last couple of days & now have 3 empty baskets! I'm delighted!

Please
or

PizzaDays · 23/01/2022 12:03

I'm glad you started this thread. I have come to realise that I either work at 100% or 0%. I’ve been wondering whether pottering would be a better way to be, so I’m reading this with interest. I wonder whether it is possible to change.

Please
or

HaroldMeeker · 23/01/2022 12:10

Pottering is such a lovely thing. I love to have an unplanned day where I just dilly dally my way round and still somehow get things done.

Please
or

PizzaDays · 23/01/2022 15:48

I’m going to try to change my mindset! I like to have a list that I work through and then finish, but I actually think I might achieve more by pottering because there’s sudden end after which I sit on the sofa and start dozing…

Please
or

tootyfruitypickle · 23/01/2022 16:09

This is a really nice thread it's made me feel much less overwhelmed and as a result I have done some pottering today

Please
or

YorkieTheRabbit · 23/01/2022 16:39

Pottering is the point 😊 productive faffing as described by cherry is the spot on.

Please
or

CherryAndAlmond · 25/01/2022 13:10

Today as I've been pottering I've been pretending to be Dilly from Sort Your Life Out, only without the strictness Grin. Full on monologue going on over here. I've realised what I like is to have the time to do something spontaneously. As in, oh while I'm here making a cup of tea I'll just tidy out this cupboard. So satisfying!

Please
or

Indecisivelurcher · 25/01/2022 13:17

Yes I'm also adopting the term 'productive faffing' as my own!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SlidingInto2022sDMs · 25/01/2022 13:36

This thread has inspired me, although I'm not sure to what extent because I still don't want to do some of the chores that need doing.

I thought pottering about was just tinkering with unnecessary things, not doing actual chores. In that case, I've been pottering about most of my adult life.Grin

Seriously though, realising that I could potter about with real chores and errands has helped put things into perspective. Like someone wrote, I either function at 100% or 0%, so we'll see how it goes.

Please
or

BobbieT1999 · 25/01/2022 13:40

Oh I love a potter! Keeps me sane.

Please
or

BobbieT1999 · 25/01/2022 13:41

Am another one who lives life at 100mph or 0mph. Pottering is the answer

Please
or

DressingPafe · 25/01/2022 13:55

I absolutely love a good potter. It’s what I plan to spend my life doing in retirement! I try and get out in my garden most days for fresh air and will potter around with bits of weeding and so on. Then the pottering in the house is endless, a bit of cleaning, maybe sort a drawer or a cupboard out, do a bit of painting, a bit of time here and there on my hobbies or reading. When you give yourself big jobs to do, it’s so easy to put them off. Pottering works for me.

Please
or

toppkatz · 25/01/2022 13:59

I like pottering in the garden. Housework and other chores - not so much!

The only thing that I've found that works is to make a list. Not of things to do, but of things done. Then you haven't got a list full of things you haven't done yet, you have a list of things you have done. Much more satisfying. Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.