Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Possible redundancy

Intheshit1 · 22/01/2022 16:30

I started a job last summer that I thought was perfect. Great pay! Absolutely perfection when it comes to work life balance.

Fast forward it turns out they hired me when they knew the business was not performing well (hitting targets etc) I was the last one through the door.

They have just started making people in my team redundant. Somehow I was not selected. I guess because I’m “cheap” as I’m new.

Before this I worked for a company that I bloody hated but I had been there for nearly 20 years and I was totally safe. I’m my whole time there hadn’t been a single redundancy.

I took a gamble and now I feel really scared that I’ll be next.

I took the new job to make life better… pay off debt, maybe move house etc. And for a few months I felt so happy. We absolutely depend on my salary. Now I’m worried they will just cut me and I’ll not even qualify for any payout.

I am scared to spend any money now and I’m saving it all just in case the worst happens.

The whole thing has left a really bad taste for me. They way they just cut people like they meant nothing. And knowingly taking me on when it was obvious they were not performing.

I could leave but… i won’t go back to my old job, any similar jobs do not pay as much. I need to work at home OR earn a decent amount. I have young children so I can’t afford tonnes of childcare AND a commute. At the moment I drop my kids to school and use wraparound care. If I need to commute, I’ll need even more care.

It’s honestly a nightmare. I was unhappy before because I had zero work life balance. And now I’m really scared I’m going to be made redundant which isn’t great either.

Ironically, I want to get the fuck out of this stupid sector and do something more rewarding and a job that actually makes a difference. BUT any jobs like that I’m either not qualified for or they don’t pay enough for me to put my kids in childcare and pay My bills. I feel I have missed the boat as I’m approaching mid 40s.

Anyone been here? Will it get better? What would you do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Intheshit1 · 23/01/2022 12:29

Bumping for myself!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.