Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Possible induction can I get epidural before drip?

Melvin2021 · 22/01/2022 11:49

I've always been under the impression if the hormone drip is needed then I can request epidural to be administered first but someone has just told me I can't. Can someone clarify this for me please?

Being induced on Wednesday if nothing happens before then and I'm not looking forward to it because all you get is horror stories. (None of them please) FTM. TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

GinIronic · 22/01/2022 12:05

Who told you that?

Please
or

Melvin2021 · 22/01/2022 12:23

One of my neighbours

OP's posts:
Please
or

MajesticElephant · 22/01/2022 12:27

When I was told I needed to be induced my no-nonsense consultant strongly recommended that I have the epidural before the drip and told me not take no for an answer. She wrote it in my notes and happened to be in the delivery ward when I was up there so I had no issues. Your neighbour is talking shit.

Please
or

Dubgirl1212 · 22/01/2022 12:31

I was induced on my first dd, she is 14 this year. At my ante natal class the midwife advised us to ask for the epidural before the drip was administered.

My induction was long and slow.When my waters did eventually go the contractions came fast and strong but I was not dilating. Midwives advised me to wait until I was at least 3cms before getting the epidural as it could slow things down. Got to 3cms after 8 hours, got the epidural and didn't progress anymore. Ended up with an emergency c section as my DD had the cord around her neck and was losing oxygen everytine I contracted.

Please
or

Sixtonskip · 22/01/2022 12:32

I was induced and was strongly advised to have epidural before the drip was started, so I did. I would probably have asked for it anyway if it hadn’t been suggested by them.

Please
or

Muststopeating · 22/01/2022 12:33

I remember hearing on the radio (after I had mine and went hours before the epidural) that it should be standard practice to give the epidural FIRST. It isn't, but it should.

Ultimately, it is your body, your choice. I'm sure they'll tell you you'll have to wait around longer, blah blah. If you are happy to wait then insist!

For me, the worst thing was the continuous monitoring which massively/entirely restricts your movements. Makes the pain so much worse when you can't even attempt to get yourself comfortable. If I had to go down that route again I would definitely insist. And I say this as someone who's had 2 more babies since with no pain relief.

Please
or

GinIronic · 22/01/2022 12:36

Yes - your neighbour is talking shit. You insist on the epidural before the drip - it is your choice. It’s about your body and you give consent for any procedures. Do not be bullied by any MW that say otherwise. I refused to have the drip before an epidural was in place and it was not a problem - the anaesthetist was aware as I made it very clear what I wanted.

Please
or

FudgeSundae · 22/01/2022 12:38

Two drip inductions here, first one the epidural failed, second I didn’t bother. They were both fine, quick (8 hours and 3 hours) and not too painful. So don’t worry too much if you can’t for whatever reason - inductions are not universally bad!

Please
or

ClearButtons · 22/01/2022 12:38

I had a baby 16 days ago and asked for my epidural before my drip was started - was given no problem.

Please
or

CovidCorvid · 22/01/2022 12:39

Some anaesthetists ime don’t like doing it because they reckon it’s impossible to tell if it’s working correctly. I get that point. But surely if it becomes apparent later on it’s not working properly then you top up/resite as required then. 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername · 22/01/2022 12:39

I was induced twice. I'm obese and both times, they asked me to have the epidural put in before the drip, because they were afraid I'd have complications and it would be handy to have the line in already if they needed to do an emergency section, because it's difficult to get an epidural line into an obese person.

In short, yes, you definitely can, and I'd highly recommend it - I had lovely relaxed labours both times!

Please
or

BurningBenches · 22/01/2022 12:43

I had my 4th baby in 2019, initially they broke my waters but when nothing happened they wanted to put me on the drip. I was clear from the outset that I was having an epidural in first and that was absolutely fine.

I did have a long wait for the epidural due to there only being one anaesthetist available. So requested about 6pm, not available until 11pm but I wasn't in pain or contracting so it wasn't a problem.

Please
or

NotVictorianHonestly · 22/01/2022 12:44

Don't forget that you don't have to consent to the drip at all if it doesn't feel right for you. I was always clear that I would try induction, do the gels, the pessary and the balloon, but I would not consent to the drip or breaking of my waters unless I was well dilated. Baby just wasn't having it, none of the early stuff did much at all. Four days in I was less than one cm dilated, perfectly comfortable as basically just nothing happened. I really felt that the drip wasn't for me so declined at that point and had a c-section. I'm very glad I did, and would definitely do the same again.

Please
or

Melvin2021 · 22/01/2022 13:03

Thankyou for all the replies! I did think she was talking nonsense but just panicked abit and thought I'd ask! Feel much better now!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greybeardy · 22/01/2022 13:19

It’s not at all uncommon to have the epidural sited before the synto starts, but as a couple of PPs have alluded to, there is a failure rate with epidurals and the only way you’ll know if it’s a good one is once the contractions start properly.

Please
or

Melvin2021 · 22/01/2022 14:33

Ah OK. So do alot of them fail? Any other suggestions of pain relief if it does?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BobstarSunny · 22/01/2022 14:43

I had my first baby by induction 2 weeks ago and I was nervous before having it. I'd been told a lot of horror stories and convinced myself it was going to be awful. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The staff were fabulous and discussed all pain relief options at the time. I started out with gas and air whilst the contractions were manageable and I was on a low dose of the drip. When they said that they planned to increase the drip I asked for an epidural and had no problems getting the dr in to insert it. My problem was that it worked a bit too well and we ended up switching it off for 5 hours to get a bit of feeling back as it had numbed me up to my chest. It worked out well because by time it came to active labour I could feel the contraction to know when to push, but didn't have the pain. It was a long labour and the epidural got me through it and gave me the chance to get some sleep and rest during the night. Discuss the options with the midwife and tell them what you want early on. I don't think you'd have any objections from them as most recognise that contractions on the drip can be more painful. All the best for your labour, stay positive and you'll smash it!

Please
or

Melvin2021 · 22/01/2022 14:48

Thankyou!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 22/01/2022 14:49

Yes you can ask for this, I did on advice from friends

Please
or

Adatwistscientist · 22/01/2022 14:52

I've had two inductions, had an epidural both times but only once I'd gone past hours if contractions with only 10 second break in between and was exhausted. On the second time the consultant said that it's criminal that women aren't advised to get an epidural when the drip is mentioned.

Please
or

Bunnycat101 · 22/01/2022 14:52

I had it in my birth plan for my second that I wouldn’t consent to the drip unless I had an epidural first. With my first I distinctly remember the consultant asking if I had pain relief sorted and the midwife said we’ve discussed gas and air. The consultant turned to me and said I wanted to know if you’ve got proper pain relief sorted, let’s talk about epidurals. I wish I’d listened to the dr to be honest. I tried with gas and air but couldn’t manage. By the time the anaesthetist was called it was tricky to put it in as I was squirming around too much (they couldn’t control the drip very well). My husband said that the process of putting in the epidural was the worst bit of the labour for me as he was terrified it would go wrong as I couldn’t stay still.

I had a very easy second labour with no pain relief needed. It was a very different experience.

Please
or

Goldenphoenix · 22/01/2022 15:03

Just to give you a balanced view - I was induced on the drip with my first, yes it hurt but I managed with gas and air. So if it fails or you can't get the epidural for some reason it might not be as bad as you think! It was less painful then my second natural (but very fast) labour.

Please
or

lololololollll · 22/01/2022 16:52

I had my epidural first. Didn't feel a contraction for the whole thing. Amazeballs

Please
or

lololololollll · 22/01/2022 16:53

Well that was the first fine, second baby wasn't so easy but it is def possible

Please
or

JustcameoutGC · 22/01/2022 16:55

I have been induced twice. First time, determined didn't want an epidural. But contractions came continuously, and the pain made me totally delerious and incoherent, even with morphine. Then the lovely epidural lady came and made it all stop. I got some sleep, they woke me up when i was ready to push, and i could feel enough to push her out myself. No further intervention needed.
2nd time round was told i wasn't progressing and needed the drip. I refused until epi was in, but the anaesthetist went awol. In the meantime, i went into full labour and she came out with no pushing, just 3 almighty contractions and a wee bit of gas and air at the end. It was ace.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.