Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Fairy lights in bedroom

BlackAlys · 22/01/2022 07:30

Has anyone successfully managed to decorate with fairy lights, like is seen on Pinterest and other Magazines? Lovely ambient glows that cover whole walls?

I'm meeting an electrician in an hour to discuss power supply in my build. DD's room is in the attic so his suggestion of spotlights is ok, but we don't want an explosion of LED to be her only option. I've been advised to maximise on wall sockets too for lamps, but DD loves the soft fairy light look. I'm wondering how to do this as a fixture that can be switched on by her phone/switch on the wall, instead of having to go around her room manually turning on each plug/battery powered unit.

Does any of this make sense?! Been overthinking since 3:30 🤦‍♀️

OP's posts:
Please
or

BookGinnyisbetter · 22/01/2022 07:34

You can get soft fairy lights that you can control from your phone. You can also put a flash over leds so you don't get the in your face led look, it's more a soft glow

Please
or

Alwaystimefor · 22/01/2022 07:38

If she has an Alexa or similar then you can get plugs that are voice controlled for the fairy lights - that way she can ask for her lights to go on / off.

My daughter has a bulb that colour changes etc and that is all controlled by Alexa.

It’s usually great, although she did have to dress in the dark yesterday when the Alexa network went down.

Please
or

Callmecordelia · 22/01/2022 07:40

My daughter has a couple of good strong desk lamps, one by her bed and another on her desk so there's good task lighting. I would prioritise that.

She then has fairy lights up. Lots now come with a USB plug, so you could buy a multi adapter and use that, maybe plugged into a smart plug, along with usb extension leads. I have got her a birthday present (and I'm excited about this) an led clip light string where the lights are clips for photos. I think she will love it, and I'll hang it with invisible command hooks.

Please
or

BlackAlys · 22/01/2022 08:07

This all sounds lovely! Thanks!

I'm also wondering how to create that fixed in place look on walls? Are small hooks strategically placed so that lights can be woven up and down? DD's walls will be vaulted as she's in the attic so the lights won't be able to just 'hang' naturally.

Good call re desk lamp - I'm getting a desk custom made - long and narrow - so she can sit under one of the eaves.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HappyBackHome · 22/01/2022 08:22

You can have 3 (round) pin 5 amp lighting sockets hardwired into to the lighting circuit so wall switches control lamps plugged into them, presumably these would work with plug-in fairy lights too Smile?

Please
or

HappyBackHome · 22/01/2022 08:24

You could use the clear Command hooks to hang the fairy lights to the ceilings?

Please
or

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely · 22/01/2022 08:35

We used the tiny clear command hooks and a long string of plug in led lights from Amazon in dd’s room. The lights have a remote control but as others have said you can buy plugs which work with Alexa. They look really pretty - we did a snaky grid sort of shape and got her a pack of tiny clips so she has fastened photos to hers as well.

Just make sure you get enough plug sockets installed.

Please
or

Socialcarenope · 22/01/2022 10:20

This is what smart plugs were invented for!

Please
or

ParisNext · 22/01/2022 10:24

You don’t buy a string of lights you buy a curtain of them and they hang from a single line which is at the ceiling height. Then run off a smart plug. You can put fake vines etc down them too. Search curtain fairy lights on Amazon.

Please
or

Psmith83 · 22/01/2022 10:30

You can also get fairy lights in a e27 bulb. Did this for this for bathroom and was very simple, pretty solution.

https://www.creative-cables.co.uk/led-light-bulbs/17938-led-globe-g125-light-bulb-a-thousand-lights-gold-2w-e27-2000k-8055681814950.html

Please
or

LER83 · 22/01/2022 10:36

My daughters got a curtain of fairy lights that covers an entire wall. We hung it up with command hooks, it plugs in and has a remote control with various different functions, including being able to dim it. Looks lovely when its on. Cost £20 off amazon. She usually puts that and a lamp on instead of the main light.

Please
or

Abraxan · 22/01/2022 10:40

A cheap Alexa and smart plug and/or bulbs.

Can be voice controlled and the bulbs can be dimmed too.

Please
or

BlackAlys · 22/01/2022 15:57

@ParisNext

You don’t buy a string of lights you buy a curtain of them and they hang from a single line which is at the ceiling height. Then run off a smart plug. You can put fake vines etc down them too. Search curtain fairy lights on Amazon.

She doesn't have straight walls (only behind her bed) - the rest are sloping so they'll need to be anchored somehow.
OP's posts:
Please
or

forrestgreen · 22/01/2022 16:00

What about a dropped 'ceiling' and hiding a led strip behind it. Giving an uplighter look. You plug them in and control with an app.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 22/01/2022 16:06

Held up by drawing pins😁
Controlled by remote

Fairy lights in bedroom
Please
or

Scottishnewbie2022 · 22/01/2022 16:11

Are you envisioning then on the vertical part of the walls or the vaulted part?

I also think a smart plug or plugs would be your best bet it’s just trying to work it all out so that the bare wire part of the lights is sort of camouflaged with the lit parts.

Rather you than me trying to work this out OP!

Please
or

User574773662 · 22/01/2022 16:34

Please could you explain how you did this? DD wants similar and I’m stumped! Thanks

Please
or

User574773662 · 22/01/2022 17:28

Sorry that post was meant for @ArseInTheCoOpWindow !

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 22/01/2022 17:34

Umm DH did it. Like this apparently:

Dd layer on bed and instructed (!) Dh in location of vines and lights. There were 6 vines and one very long set of lights. He HATES themGrin.

He used drawing pins( he is 6ft 2) so can reach the ceiling easily. The lights had white wires, and the drawing pins were inserted in between where the 2 cables on fairy lights twist together. The lights have stayed up fine, the vines come down.

She wants more lights. He’s not keen!

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 22/01/2022 17:35

I can put a picture of the floor on if you like….. that is not pretty and twinklyHmm

Please
or

iklboo · 22/01/2022 17:44

Yes, we've got warm white ones over the bed, linked to Alexa. They're held in place with small tacks between the wire twists. Much more relaxing light than a lamp.

Please
or

BlackAlys · 22/01/2022 23:17

Great. Thanks loads everyone.

Do you all use wire fairy lights?

OP's posts:
Please
or

iklboo · 23/01/2022 11:18

The plug in wire ones are best if she's going to link to Alexa.

Please
or

Callmecordelia · 23/01/2022 12:28

Do you mean lights on a copper wire? I'd get clear plastic flex, it's wound together in a spiral so you can pull it apart slightly to put it on a hook.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.