Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Short-haul winter sun ideas for February half-term please!

30 replies

harriedmum · 08/01/2022 10:31

We've had a horrendous Christmas, everybody's blue, and poor DD is on the CAMHS waitlisr for an ASD/ADHD diagnosis, and having a very hard time with school. So we're going to run away to somewhere sunny for Feb. half-term.

I'm too exhausted to do proper research, so I'm putting my faith in Mumsnet: your suggestions for where to go and where to stay most welcome. 8 year old DD likes the beach and animals, we all hate camping, and our nearest airport is London. DH likes old ruins (luckily for me), and city cycling, but neither of us would be confident driving.

Tell us where to go!

OP posts:
Please
or

PhoboPhobia · 08/01/2022 10:35

Cyprus would fit your DDs interests of beach and DHs of old ruins. From memory it is about 18 degrees in Feb. We managed using buses and didn’t hire a car. The only draw back is if you go somewhere very touristy, it is out of season so lots of burger and chips but not much lovely Greek food.

Please
or

HepzibahGreen · 08/01/2022 10:38

Crete! Near Chania. It will be warm, loads of history, loads of beaches, plenty to do, and it’s usually one of the cheaper Greek islands to get to.

Please
or

harriedmum · 08/01/2022 11:05

Thanks both: DH is a classicist, so Greece is a particularly nice idea. if you have recommendations for specific places to stay, let us know!

OP posts:
Please
or

JanuaryBluehoo · 08/01/2022 11:38

Op is it OK tk go anywhere at the moment in the eu?
They have very strict entry requirements now, and keep moving vaccine requirements.

I'm thinking about cancelling an eu trip at Easter.

Please
or

IGotHam · 08/01/2022 11:48

Greece will be about 12 degrees in February; not my idea of warm! Morocco would be warm but they have a ban on uk visitors until end jan so you'd need to watch and wait.

Please
or

IGotHam · 08/01/2022 11:49

Cyprus as I understand it has some very strict covid testing requirements.

Please
or

harriedmum · 08/01/2022 11:55

Yes, we're worried about testing requirements too, but needs must: we're desperately in need of good weather (looks glumly out of the window).

Spain currently looks like its open to double vaccinated travelers, so we're currently considering Va!encia too.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 08/01/2022 11:58

I’d aim for the Canary Islands if you want some warmth, and for your daughters I’d definitely recommend Hotel Club Jandia Princess because it has a petting zoo! The main pool is huge and gets great sea views. It’s heated in winter, as is the nearby whirlpool bath and children’s pool.

Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 08/01/2022 12:00

If you want guaranteed good weather - good enough for outdoor swimming etc then you’ll have to go long haul. Even the Canary Islands aren’t guaranteed in Feb - we’ve had days it was cool in early April!

Please
or

harriedmum · 08/01/2022 12:02

@Fivemoreminutes1

I’d aim for the Canary Islands if you want some warmth, and for your daughters I’d definitely recommend Hotel Club Jandia Princess because it has a petting zoo! The main pool is huge and gets great sea views. It’s heated in winter, as is the nearby whirlpool bath and children’s pool.

(makes notes)
OP posts:
Please
or

LondonWolf · 08/01/2022 12:03

Cyprus apparently has nightmare restrictions around covid right now.

Malaga fits the bill imo. Lovely city, castles, museums etc and overlooked as a destination in its own right I always think because it’s “Costa Del Sol”…

It’s 20 degrees and sunny there on some days at the moment probably higher by mid Feb.

Please
or

LondonWolf · 08/01/2022 12:05

Malaga weather right now…

Short-haul winter sun ideas for February half-term please!
Please
or

ItsFuckingJuneDadQuickHide · 08/01/2022 12:06

I think it’s good to make plans . It’s something to look forward to if it’s cancelled it’s cancelled
I’d look at the Canary Islands too . Lovely weather in February

Please
or

harriedmum · 08/01/2022 13:53

That Malaga weather report is making me cry

OP posts:
Please
or

EileenGC · 08/01/2022 14:08

It was 24º in Valencia last week. February is a pretty predictable month there, much more than March/April. Unless you’re very, very unlucky, it should be warm and sunny for half term. Hope I didn’t jinx it Wink

Please
or

Fallagain · 08/01/2022 14:39

How old is your DD? Is she/when will she be 2 weeks post vaccine?

Please
or

Jenjenn · 08/01/2022 14:55

We are heading to Canaries in Feb midterm. We go almost every year :) It will be low-mid 20s during the day but cool at might so for us a heated pool is an absolute must. We are all fully vaccinated incl 7 yo dc and don't mind paying for tests...or getting stuck.

Please
or

JanuaryBluehoo · 08/01/2022 14:58

The Netherlands has just introduced some of incredibly complex sounding vaccine stuff based on when you last had them?
Italy also requires complicated stuff... Super passport or something

Please
or

zafferana · 08/01/2022 14:58

We're going to Malaga in Feb half-term, but have also been to Valencia (sunny and mild) and Rome (ditto).

For warmer weather the Canaries are nice. Mogan in Gran Canaria has some ruins and plenty of lizards and was warm and sunny. Playa Blanca in Lanzarote has lots of nice, family-friendly hotels, but no ruins. It has a volcanic national park though and camel rides - would that work?

Please
or

JanuaryBluehoo · 08/01/2022 14:59

They want to know when had last vaccines.
We are triple jabbed and dd wouid be double but by the time we have were due to go at Easter I fear it may all be out of date for us.

Please
or

JanuaryBluehoo · 08/01/2022 15:00

Has Spain got looser restrictions??

Please
or

LondonWolf · 08/01/2022 15:01

I believe to enter Spain, you don’t have to test if you’re fully vaccinated.

Please
or

zafferana · 08/01/2022 15:03

Spain requires all visitors over the age of 12 to be fully vaccinated (x 2 vaccines), under 11s are exempt.

Please
or

canary1 · 08/01/2022 15:07

Canaries only place hot enough short haul. Enjoy it!

Please
or

Ilovechoc12 · 08/01/2022 15:08

I’ve got a completed 8 yr boy with ASD / adhd and lots more letters. However you need to go long haul for the weather if you want to swim in the sea / pool ? ….. he loves going on holiday and can play computer games / kindle for 8 hrs constant on a plane so no issue 🤪🤪🤪

Cyprus too cold in feb but at least they drive on the same side as uk but best waiting May- sept for Cyprus

Dubai ?!?!? They heat their swimming pools. We go there often as it’s easy from London

Hope you have a lovely time where you go!

Please
or