My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

I have £250 to £300 and want a cordless vacuum, which one do I buy?

27 replies

Swifey40 · 10/07/2021 22:42

I have a few caveats......I have mostly carpets in a very old house, therefore the carpets are very old! Also two sets of stairs to hoover. High ceilings I would need to reach, and 3 metre long curtains to keep free of dust. The kitchen is hard floor, and unfortunately is a step down from the back door/utility room, so easily gets lots of 'garden' in it! I also have two dogs, and three of us have long hair! Which do I choose?? (I also have some JL vouchers so preferably from there, but not a deal breaker if not). Thanks in advance 😊

OP posts:
Smallkeys · 10/07/2021 22:46

I would say you will be frustrated by the battery life . I don’t have the most up to date Dyson bit in full power which I need I get about 15minutes and then has to charge for something ridiculous like 5 hours . So pay attention to both those things when choosing

Sleepinghyena · 10/07/2021 22:49

None of them are brilliant on carpet, or with actual debris (mud/leaf/tiny stone). Dyson are outside the budget (and aren't brilliant on carpet and clog with long pet hair)
Shark cordless aren't good on carpet - better on higher setting but then that drains the battery quicker and also block with pet hair/ small debris.
GTech - useless, don't bother.
Although I really want a cordless vacuum, none of them are good enough yet for me to be prepared to spend my hard earned cash on.

Naaaaah · 10/07/2021 22:50

Don't bother. They are an expensive waste of time.

Swifey40 · 10/07/2021 22:56

Oh no, those were answers I didn't want to hear, part of the reason I want one is that I have a chronic pain condition and they are light, and also our plug sockets, which are few, are in really annoying places! X

OP posts:
Smallkeys · 10/07/2021 22:59

I know they look so handy but we had to get another plug in hoover for all the general hoovering.

Swifey40 · 10/07/2021 23:14

I've got two hoovers, one upright dyson about 15 years old, and a 10 year old dog and cat miele, but they are both just so heavy!!

OP posts:
Mamamamasaurus · 10/07/2021 23:14

Agree with PP about being a waste - I've tried Dyson and Shark and they're both shite. I also have a chronic pain condition and I struggle with the button, having to be held in all the time when using. I wouldn't recommend.

WeeM · 10/07/2021 23:19

I’ve just got a shark and I really like it, however I have mainly hard floors. The battery life is 40 mins compared to the 15/20 I got from the dyson. I also have a dog and got the pet attachments with the shark. The button does not have to be held down on the shark which is another plus for me over the dyson. However the shark is a lot heavier so it would maybe be a struggle for ceilings.
As much as I like it, I think if my house was all carpet I’d stick with the regular corded hoover.

Dimsummummy · 10/07/2021 23:22

I’m a cleaner. The snark cordless is diabolical, the shark lift away however, is very good, and once in lift away mode really quite light.

Sleepinghyena · 10/07/2021 23:38

@Dimsummummy but the problem with the shark lift away is if you put it down(e.g on a stair half way up, it topples over as soon as you move. You really have to carry it all the time.

Ostryga · 10/07/2021 23:41

You need a robot vacuum (2 days downstairs 2 days up and repeat) and a big standard hoover for the stairs.

You can thank me later Wink

Ostryga · 10/07/2021 23:41

*bog

TerribleCustomerCervix · 10/07/2021 23:54

We have a Shark light away mentioned by a PP- I bought it to replace our Vax cordless hoover, the third replacement of the same midel 🙄

The Shark is excellent, and very light in lift away mode. I love how easy it is to swap to and from using the suction tubes, so when you see a dusty bit of skirting while you’re vacuuming the floor it’s dead quick to suck it up and switch back.

It’s corded but to be honest a cordless vacuum just doesn’t cut the mustard on carpet without using it on max and cutting down on the battery life. They’re handy for a bonus vacuum for a quick whizz round, but not for a stand alone hoover.

CCSS15 · 11/07/2021 07:55

We have a shark cordless with 2 kids and a dog and a mixture of hard and carpet floors and its fab - battery easily does the whole house but you can get additional so you can have another one to go if needed

FilthyPunkRockers · 11/07/2021 08:10

We have a Shark cordless lift away and it’s amazing. Three storey carpeted house, long haired dog and four long haired females, it copes no problem!
We bought a spare battery which is useful.
It’s the best vacuum I’ve used and I actually enjoy using it. Light enough for the kids to use too. If it broke tomorrow, I’d buy an identical replacement straight away!

theologianextradionaire · 11/07/2021 08:32

I recently purchased the Vax cordless Blade. Cost around £250. I bought it direct from Vax and got a free car kit too. The suction is very good and comes with 2 batteries. Overall I'm very pleased with it. Only downside is it is heavy to hold.

I got it as I have a large house and wanted a cordless hoover for small clean ups. I still use my main hoover for a once a week clean.

DinosaurDiana · 11/07/2021 08:37

I got a cordless Dyson to use as my main hoover.
After I while I could see that it wasn’t picking up hair, so I bought a cheap upright and the amount of crap that it picked up was disgusting.
I won’t be getting another cordless.
I’ve gone back to an upright for my carpets and a brush for the hard floors.

CherryMaple · 11/07/2021 08:44

We have a Bosch cordless which we bought a year ago. It isn’t powerful. The battery runs out very fast - I use it on Turbo setting to try and get it to pick up better, and it lasts only a few minutes. The container where all the dust goes is only small and it fills up in no time. We are always emptying it. I wish we hadn’t wasted money on the cordless, and just bought a new upright and a small hand held hoover for the stairs... We have had to get a new upright - the cordless was an expensive mistake - though the convenience of not having to plug it in would be brilliant with a cordless that actually worked...

Foxyloxy1plus1 · 11/07/2021 10:17

Beko.

Fulfils your price criteria, has an extendable handle, as well as the tools, 40 minute battery, sucks so hard it blows my hair about, has headlights so you can see in the corners easily.

Way, way, way better than the Dyson and I’ve had two of those.

Foxyloxy1plus1 · 11/07/2021 10:17

Oh, should add I got it from ao.com

Tinysalmonswimminginastream · 11/07/2021 10:20

I don't get why people don't like the Shark cordless - I absolutely love mine, it's been a gamechanger to my daily life!

HelplessProcrastinator · 11/07/2021 10:28

My Shark constantly blocks up. Absolutely hate it. Worst purchase ever. Gone back to a corded Dyson.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

FawnFrenchieMum · 11/07/2021 10:33

We have the shark cordless with double battery (we actually have three but never ever needed more then two for a three story house). I have a chronic illness and couldn’t manage vaccing before but fine with this.
We’re really pleased with it. I believe they are sold in JL as well.
It tends to be the extra batteries that push the price up so you could always start with one and buy another later on.

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 11/07/2021 10:37

www.capsuleclean.com/offers/the-capsule-vacuum-bundle-deal-extra-tools/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwraqHBhDsARIsAKuGZeFyNyOrVY-nU1cSJoWzTut6mGfmBdPEPTVnzeUbEJOiJBMhe06PoPcaAlrREALw_wcB

I bought the Halo Capsual
Plug in the re charge pretty good battery life
Uses bags not the little collection chamber
My old one (Shark) used to drop a load of grit once the motor stopped , had to hold it over a bin when I switched it off .

Lightweight , good reach .
2 fur shedding cays (and their bloody litter scattering )

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 11/07/2021 10:39

cays- cats

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.