Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please recommend me some hidden gems for half-term in London

Labradabradorable · 17/05/2021 15:43

We are looking forward to a couple of days in London this half term (fingers crossed, fully vaccinated, all being well etc.)

We have booked tickets for the science museum but apart from that we are free. We know the city well, but would love some recommendations for different places to visit, great little restaurants, activities, parks etc. Children are aged 9 and 12.

We will be staying centrally, probably around Holborn or County Hall.

Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stichintime · 17/05/2021 15:48

Check out the bank of England, they sometimes put stuff on for kids during half term, including lifting up a gold bar which is in a glass case. There's always the monument and Sky garden. They V& A sometimes do activities. I remember my kids were able to make a template and print a tee shirt for free. Just a wander round Covent Garden to see the street artists, or China Town to explore the interesting shops.

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 17/05/2021 15:52

If it's hot, take a picnic to Hyde Park, specifically the Diana Fountain. The 9yo will love it, and the 12yo will probably end up dipping their toes too (I wanted to climb straight in).

It's our Must Do next time we go to London.

If they like pasta, Emilias just past Tower Bridge (St Katherine Docks) - its teeny. You can eat at the counter and watch the chefs making the fresh pasta and cooking all the meals.

Please
or

Bettiespaghetti · 17/05/2021 15:55

I was going to say the Bank of England Museum too! We found it one year during a heatwave, (only went in to get out the sun!) and wasn't expecting much but it was brilliant! Loads of kids stuff to do and lots of interesting bits for adults too :)

Please
or

Puttingouthefirewithgasoline · 17/05/2021 15:55

Museum of London then stroll past st Paul's onto other side of river

Please
or

dameofdilemma · 17/05/2021 15:59

At that age you might not need organised child specific activities.
Walk along the Southbank (Blackfriars, Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Waterloo).
There are street entertainers, second hand book market, Tate modern, etc. as well as cafes and street food.

Please
or

Standrewsschool · 17/05/2021 16:16

Changing of Guards at Buckingham palace - check on website for times etc,

Museum of London
museum of london

Science museum, Natural history museum and V and A are all near each other.

I-Spy books - always a bit of fun

Harrods - especially the food hall

Covent Garden - nice to wander around plus street entertainers

Please
or

FairNotFair · 17/05/2021 16:22

Clipper boat from Westminster down to the O2, and then go across the Thames by cable car 🚠

Please
or

vampirethriller · 17/05/2021 16:22

The Old Operating Theatre on St Thomas Street SE1 is open from 21st May, it's up some steep stairs but if they like Horrible Histories etc they'll enjoy it!

Please
or

motogogo · 17/05/2021 16:43

Head to Covent Garden, lots of free things to see. Boat trip down to Greenwich

Please
or

Newgirls · 17/05/2021 16:45

It’s going to be an amazing time to go as not too crowded. So now is the time to do Madame Tussaud’s etc!

Carnaby St has new tables and lots is street food if you are near there.

Please
or

reallyreallyborednow · 17/05/2021 16:46

The Golden Hinde on the South Bank. Great fun for children.

Please
or

choosername1234 · 17/05/2021 16:56

Institute of civil engineers - a surprising discovery. It's actually their offices / HQ BUT They have a children's section on the 1st or 2nd floor and a cafe in the basement. Quite a bit of virtual reality computers and a mega tonne of Lego to "discover engineering"

Please
or

Labradabradorable · 17/05/2021 17:03

Some great ideas- thanks so much.
DS would love the old operating theatre I thin. DH might have to sit it out!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Davros · 17/05/2021 17:20

Postal museum, especially if you're in Holborn. It's much more interesting and fun than it sounds and has the Mail Rail

Please
or

VikingNorthUtsire · 17/05/2021 17:22

The tour of Wembley Stadium was surprisingly good even if you're only vaguely interested in football

Please
or

Davros · 17/05/2021 17:22

Also Kings X, St Pancras, British Library, Welcome institute, Crick, Kings Place. All the same area

Please
or

PenguindreamsofDraco · 17/05/2021 17:28

Harry Potter walking tour. Actually if London Walks are on again, there's bound to be something theyd enjoy. Jack the Ripper in May won't be dark so not as scary.
Mini golf at the Horniman - the 176 goes direct and you can pick it up at Cambridge circus, Waterloo etc.

Please
or

Tylila · 17/05/2021 17:30

Museum of zoology was wonderful. Very small, one room, but very interesting and we stayed to do some sketching to pass more time. Highly enjoyed that afternoon.

Please
or

Procrastatron · 17/05/2021 18:44

Have a look on the treasure trails website for a £10 treasure hunt. I’m a massive geek and love them. Loads in London

Please
or

PenguindreamsofDraco · 17/05/2021 18:59

@Procrastatron

Have a look on the treasure trails website for a £10 treasure hunt. I’m a massive geek and love them. Loads in London

Oh they're fantastic! Yes, definitely.
Please
or

Etherealhedgehog · 17/05/2021 19:08

The Conservatory at the Barbican Centre. And worth checking if there's anything on you want to see/do there as they have stuff for kids. Can be combined with taking a peek at the original Roman city wall and maybe the Museum of London

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?