My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer and the same time they found kidney cancer (both primaries), in 2017. The bladder cancer was removed and has never returned, the kidney cancer required a radical nephrectomy and some Mets occurred over a year ago. He has been on Paz since then.
He's been quite ill which was attributed to Paz (diarrhoea and some vomiting, the diarrhoea so bad that he can't get to the loo in time and has been hospitalised due to dehydration several times). But it worked and the Mets shrunk at his last CT scan in September.
He went into hospital again a few weeks ago and they kept him for two weeks. They undertook several tests, firstly he tested positive for C Diff, then negative. He had another CT scan, which showed a lesion on his pancreas.
We saw the urology oncologist on Tuesday. He said that he'd referred him urgently to HPB oncology. He advised him to not restart Paz (was stopped in hospital) as the kidney Mets were stable and the new lesion was more urgent, and the Paz could complicate treatment. He was told he would need a needle biopsy under local anaesthetic to determine the type.
I asked if it could be a Met from the kidney, but apparently it doesn't look like one.
The oncologist phoned him yesterday. The HPB oncologist is refusing to see him, refusing to biopsy him and claiming there is no treatment they are willing to try.
I really don't understand this. How can they know whether radiotherapy would work if they won't even biopsy the lump?
Is there any way we can pursue this? We are really in the dark here.