Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How much does a new kitchen cost?

MapGirlExtraordinaire · 05/04/2021 15:25

I know costs vary a lot, but approx how much should I budget for this?

House cost £600K, zoopla tells me it's work £800K+ now

Kitchen is approx 4*6m, rectangular, long and thin rather than short and wide.

Not planning any substantial building works, poss moving a door.

I don't have any desire for things which will be incredibly expensive or designer. I'll prob get a pair of NEFF ovens, but they won't bump the price up much on their own will they?!

What I really mean is can I do this for under £20K? Would you expect me to spend £30-40K? Just interested in the range of prices at the moment.

I

OP's posts:
Please
or

Acovic · 05/04/2021 15:29

Where are you in the UK?

An 800k house in London is somewhat different to an 800K house elsewhere.

What are your long term intentions re: the house? Sell soon or are you staying put?

If former you need to think a little about selling on - buyers will expect a kitchen commensurate with the property (so 800k out of London I'd expect stone worktops & decent appliances).

If you are planning to stay put for ages just put in what you are happy with as by the time to sell comes it will be an old & dated kitchen regardless of what you install.

If you want numbers I spent around 30K on the kitchen in my 1 bed zone 1 flat that cost a little more than your originally paid but is worth less than your recent valuation. About a third of that was appliances - I love to bake so have fancy schmancy miele ovens. i probably overspent but I'm planning to be here for a while so it made sense.

Please
or

hashbrownsandwich · 05/04/2021 15:33

Our kitchen is 4x6. We've been quoted around £15k for supply of kitchen units and appliances (oven, hob,freezer, fridge and dishwasher.

Please
or

hashbrownsandwich · 05/04/2021 15:34

Pressed post too soon.
This is excluding fitting or labour. Includes custom quartz top. Nothing special as in it's not top of the range units.

Please
or

MapGirlExtraordinaire · 05/04/2021 15:36

Good question!

I'm outside London, south coast, 4/5 bed detached house in a relatively affluent area of my town.

I am planning to stay here 15-20 years, fairly sure I won't move, so the kitchen is for my family rather than for selling.

30K on a one bed flat sounds loads, really interested to hear what took all that cash? I was assuming cabinets would be a large part of the budget for me, though I will keep the room as half kitchen half dining area as it is now, probably.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dreamingofsun · 05/04/2021 15:52

think ours was about 25k about 6 years ago. units were a fair chunk but also cooker and fridge. i wouldnt see the point of getting nice units and then a cheap nasty cooker/fridge myself. worktops also cost a fair amount as they are granite

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 05/04/2021 15:52

our house is similar sounding to yours

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 05/04/2021 17:26

ooops sorry, just checked with husband and it was just under 40k apparently. no structural work, and the other company came in much more expensive and then dropped their quote. I think its one of the things that suppliers over price on initially in the hope that you will just go with it

Please
or

BlodwinTheThird · 05/04/2021 17:34

A fitter told me that 12k was the average cost in the U.K. for a new kitchen. Obviously it depends on the size and quality of units etc.

Please
or

BlodwinTheThird · 05/04/2021 17:36

Mine was £20k 2 years ago fir a Howdens kitchen. Kitchen quite big and that included (not Howdens): range oven, American fridge freezer, new lighting, walls/ceiling replastered, wall taking down, engineered wood flooring and granite worktops on top of the usual units/fitting costs.

Please
or

Iseeyoulookingatme · 05/04/2021 17:45

We are currently having ours done and all in about 15k but that includes structural work and plumbing and electricity being moved from one room to another. The cupboards and worktops are about 5k plus appliances are another 2k.

Please
or

PussInBin20 · 05/04/2021 18:02

It also depends on the quality of fixtures and fittings obviously. We spent about £20k on a similar sized kitchen but this was just supplying it (and no oven) and doing the work ourselves.

My DH and a worker relaid the floor, moved pipework for the fridge/freezer, replastered and redecorated the walls and got an electrician to redo the lighting.

It soon added up and if my DH just paid someone to do it all, it would have cost another £10k.

The kitchen units themselves were reasonably priced although the pictures in the brochure always show the most expensive versions ie if you wanted rounded end units, these would be in the more expensive range to having just the square ones.

Please
or

Breathmiller · 05/04/2021 18:14

Oh man. This thread is depressing me.
We've just taken down a wall and plan on swapping our kitchen and living room round. But i hadn't expected it to be quite so expensive.

It works how it is at the moment but my dream plan is to swap. Will have to save up for a lot longer than I planned.

Has anyone done a nice kitchen on a budget? My dh is handy and is happy to fit most of it himself. He just redid our whole bathroom including plastering, laying a new floor, tiling and rebuilding round the windows. So it was done much cheaper than if we'd got someone in.

Please
or

hashbrownsandwich · 05/04/2021 19:15

@Breathmiller

Oh man. This thread is depressing me.
We've just taken down a wall and plan on swapping our kitchen and living room round. But i hadn't expected it to be quite so expensive.

It works how it is at the moment but my dream plan is to swap. Will have to save up for a lot longer than I planned.

Has anyone done a nice kitchen on a budget? My dh is handy and is happy to fit most of it himself. He just redid our whole bathroom including plastering, laying a new floor, tiling and rebuilding round the windows. So it was done much cheaper than if we'd got someone in.

For moving rooms to other rooms it's more about how the drainage and services run.
Please
or

MapGirlExtraordinaire · 05/04/2021 19:25

A big range!

£2K sounds low for appliances, what was included in that? I'm after two ovens, one plain but the other steam, poss warming drawer etc. Also a large fridge, a standalone tall freezer too, and a hob of some sort. £2K feels low for all those?

I've got a separate utility room with a washing machine and tumble dryer which hopefully won't need replacing, and my dishwasher is fairly new so ditto hope it'll hold out.

£40K sounds loads with no structural work, do you remember what the money went on?

We migtt try and fit some / all ourselves, or if I'm really lucky retired exbuilder FIL might be around to help, but that might be a bit much to hope for since I'm assuming it takes a while to install cupboards.

That's another question - how ling does doing a kitchen take?

Let's say DH and I take a sledge hammer to it one Saturday morning, then it's bare and ready for people to start on Monday AM, how long until its all in?

Clueless, I might have to move house instead!

OP's posts:
Please
or

dotdashdashdash · 05/04/2021 19:34

Well, our last one was £3.5k for units, work tops (laminate), new dishwasher, fridge-freezer, tiles and ceramic sink. We reused the hob, double oven and extractor. We also fitted it ourselves except for the work tops and I tiled. It was 4.6 x 4.6m

Our new kitchen (new house) will be £30k + all new appliances, £2500 to fit, tiling done professionally etc

So it varies massively. Neff appliances are expenisve, I think their most basic oven is about £450, the one we want is £1100 and the second one £599.

Please
or

dotdashdashdash · 05/04/2021 19:35

In terms of time, it took DH 3 days by himself to fit the new one. Then work tops were another day. I don't think a professional would take as long.

Please
or

dotdashdashdash · 05/04/2021 19:37

As in from no kitchen, to fitted kitchen was 4 days, I then took most of a week to tile as I was only doing it in the evenings afterwork.

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 05/04/2021 19:38

i think the cooker was pretty expensive and also the american style fridge/freezer. And it also covered the utility room being redone (though not new washer and tumble dryer). flooring was standard tiles so pretty cheap, wall tiles were natural stone so more expensive. lighting was also sorted out in ceiling.

i think it depends how top end/low end you want to go with things. it could have been much cheaper, but that seemed a bit mad when the rest of the house is more higher end. Also it seemed a bit mad having cheap appliances and then expensive units - or vice versa.

i think it took about a month, but tiling was problematic and a load had to be redone.

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 05/04/2021 19:41

decide on your budget and then get a few quotes. they varied massively for us for the same type of kitchen

Please
or

CombatBarbie · 05/04/2021 19:42

Our new kitchen will be in dining room. We've been quoted £15k from wrens for 19 cabinets, a large island 2 single ovens and hob. We're following the same design plan on DIY kitchens and units are coming in at less than 6k and budgeting 3k for the 2 ovens and extraction hob.

Please
or

Mummyme87 · 05/04/2021 19:44

We have just been quoted £6500 from howdens, not including appliances or light fittings. The worktop is compact laminate.
Electrics quote £1100 including fittings.
Waiting on quote for plumbing and kitchen fitting. We are moving kitchen from one side of room to the other so need plastering, waste pipe moving, gas pipes moved.

We are south London/Surrey borders

Please
or

isseys4xmastinselcats · 05/04/2021 19:47

we are in Yorkshire so house prices are less than down south so relatively speaking it wouldnt have been worth us putting a 20k kitchen in a 130k house our basic kitchen was £3k for units worktops etc, we didnt need appliances apart from a cooker went for a £400 freestanding gas one, and with electrics ,plastering, tiling , fitting flooring which came to around £2000 ours was 5.5k altogether

Please
or

Breathmiller · 05/04/2021 19:52

Actually, thinking about it. It's just the actual units, sink, integrated dishwasher, integrated fridge and freezer. And as you said hashbrown the moving of the services. So definitely, still lots to think about and pay/save for.

But I wasn't including the wall coming down, the fireplace being knocked in for a range cooker. The flooring. The electrics. These are jobs already done or happening next week so already budgeted for. I suppose, once it's all in it will be quite a hefty sum.

I have money aside for the cooker and we have a laundry room (glorified cupboard with a washing machine) so we don't need a new machine. But I'd like the laundry room done in the same cupboards as the new kitchen.

Our plan is to do it in bits. Wall is down. Fireplace knocked in next week and both rooms and hall plastered where a door was closed up, electrics sorted. Then I can paint the hall.

Next stage is building warrant for moving rooms (even though it's only moving sides of one open space, it needs planning permission apparently). Then, we will probably move the kitchen over and make do with bits and bobs we have while we open the fireplace in the living room area and make it nice.

Then the biggie of buying the kitchen units.

It's a huge job and doing it on a semi budget means we understand it will take a while.

I'm being impatient though. I have been picturing it for ages and just want to see it come together. The wall coming down has been amazing though. Feels more than double the size as it was a fairly small kitchen and living room before.

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 05/04/2021 19:56

not sure what the lead times are like where you live, but its taking us ages to get any trades people in. Even several years ago we had to book several months in advance for the kitchen.

Please
or

Wonkydonkey44 · 05/04/2021 19:57

We did ours ourselves . £7000 approx for cupboards, Neff oven and induction hob £2000 . Flooring £1400 , plasterer £400 , 4 sheets of Corian for worktops ( husband fabricated ) @£400 a sheet . If we’d got the worktops in with the kitchen they would have been £4-5 thousand on top .
It’s taken 6-8 weeks in total because of delays in delivery but it looks gorgeous .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?