Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chat

Did everyone else already know this about homemade pizza? I've found the holy grail!

46 replies

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 19/03/2021 19:24

I've made homemade pizza for years, and struggled with pizza stone, hot baking trays, prevailing the bases etc to get a half decent authentic taste, no soggy bits, crisp bottom baking in the oven.

Today I followed the tips on a bbc pizza dough recipe and ended up with the most amazing crisp outside, deliciously soft inside base and perfectly cooked topping.

I stretched the dough by hand (previously I've always rolled it for ease but apparently this knocks all the air bubbles out that you've laboriously kneaded in), then put the base on its own into a hot dry frying pan. Left it to cook for a few mins until the bottom was browned and the dough rising with nice air pockets. Then turned it out onto a floured baking tray with the cooked side facing upwards, spread with thin layer of sauce and cheese, the slid back into the pan (uncooked side down). Left for long enough that bottom was browned, then popped under the grill to melt the cheese nicely.

Wow - it's a bit of a faff but so worth it! My dc are generally not impressed with my homemade pizza offerings but they all cleared their plates and had seconds. I will never make another way now. Revelation!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

ElderMillennial · 19/03/2021 19:35

Sounds good

Where is the recipe OP?

Please
or

MyDcAreMarvel · 19/03/2021 19:38

So like fried pizza?

Please
or

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 19/03/2021 20:09

@ElderMillennial here it is - the tips are at the bottom www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/basic-pizza-dough

@MyDcAreMarvel not really because it's a dry frying pan. It's like cooking bread on a griddle, and so you get a nice dry crisp bottom with no fat involved, and the brown/nearly black spots which a pizza cooked in a proper pizza oven gets. It really is divine!

OP posts:
Please
or

Theelderscrolls · 19/03/2021 20:12

Never heard of this, but I'm totally giving it a try!

Please
or

ElderMillennial · 19/03/2021 21:11

Thanks OP

I've never actually made bread or pizza base but I am intrigued by this!

Please
or

cerseii · 19/03/2021 21:13

As a bit of an aside, the Sainsbury’s stuffed crust takeaway pizza range is probably the best store bought option. It’s nicer than Pizza Hut. We get the margarita version and add our own toppings. It’s worth a try if you want a faster option, but that recipe does look worth a try!

Please
or

LockdownCheeseToastie · 19/03/2021 21:15

Buy an ooni. Best pizza ever. Not a paid ad, just a very happy customer.

Please
or

FluffyBlueJumper · 19/03/2021 21:17

This is how I make bread. It is much more energy efficient than 40+ minutes in the oven at maximum temperature.

Please
or

NannyR · 19/03/2021 21:18

I've been doing something similar for a while, but instead of the frying pan, I just pre cook the base in a hot oven, it sort of puffs up like a giant pitta bread, then take it out and put the toppings on and put it back in to finish cooking. This way, the base is perfectly cooked through, without the toppings getting overcooked.

Please
or

ChittyChittyBoomBoom · 19/03/2021 21:19

The reviews are truly awful 🙈. Did you make it according to the recipe?

Please
or

MotherDanger · 19/03/2021 21:20

We love these pizzas but no faff as we just top it whilst still in the frying pan then put the whole pan under the grill to cook the top. Perfect pizza from scratch in under 10 mins in one pan.

Please
or

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 19/03/2021 21:30

@ChittyChittyBoomBoom I didn't read the reviews... I followed the recipe but added olive oil and some sourdough discard into the base. It was really very good. Perhaps I should write a review for the bbc to even it up.

OP posts:
Please
or

GreatTeaMonkey · 19/03/2021 21:40

We have an Ooni. Bloody love it.

Please
or

Chippednails · 19/03/2021 21:52

I learned this recently - it’s revolutionise home pizza! Except I put the pan under the grill once the bottom is browned. Even easier!

Please
or

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 19/03/2021 22:21

That does sound easier - but I had to make 3 in one pan and I'm impatient... Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 19/03/2021 22:21

Now I'm off to look up what an Ooni is

OP posts:
Please
or

whatsleep · 19/03/2021 22:25

I’ve just purchased an Ooni for my DHs birthday, good to see it has positive reviews! 😁😁

Please
or

BewareTheBeardedDragon · 19/03/2021 22:27

Why is every thread I go on recently so bloody expensive Confused now I have another thing to add to my wish list Grin
Still happy with my griddle pizza discovery in the meantime SmileGrinSmile

OP posts:
Please
or

oobedobe · 19/03/2021 22:34

I've been make homemade pizza for years in my oven and they are perfect every time and better than any restaurant and pretty simple...

No knead pizza dough (get it ready the night before)
cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Oven at 450 F degrees (230 C)

Thin round metal baking tray with holes in

Roll out dough or use hands to stretch till v thin, Cook for 10 mins

Sauce is: tin of plum toms (best you can get), garlic, small amount of oregano, pinch of sugar, pinch of salt - blend and simmer until thick

Use decent quality ball of pizza mozzarella

Add favourite toppings

Please
or

utterflapdoodle · 19/03/2021 22:35

I get great results with a pizza steel. It's a heavy sheet steel plate that you bung in the oven at maximum temperature for half an hour or so.

It holds a huge amount of heat, much more than a pizza stone, and transfers it straight into the pizza. Cooking time is typically six to seven minutes. You get really professional results from a bog standard oven.

It also helps to use Italian pizza flour to make the dough and let it prove overnight. Bellissima!

Please
or

MadameMinimes · 19/03/2021 22:39

I use a cast iron skillet to make homemade pizza but don’t do the turning out thing. The dough gets put into the very hot pan and then I put the sauce and cheese on while it’s on the heat. After a couple of minutes the whole thing goes into a hot oven to finish off. You get the crispy, slightly blackened bottom without the faff of turning it out and flipping it over.

Please
or

AlbertCampion · 19/03/2021 22:41

Our Ooni was our best lockdown purchase by miles. We absolutely love it. Makes incredible pizza in minutes. Totally recommend.

Please
or

Ritasueandbobtoo9 · 19/03/2021 22:42

I use Delia Smith’s recipe. Jack the oven up to 250 and perfect pizzas emerge!

Please
or

GreatTeaMonkey · 19/03/2021 22:51

Feel like there needs to be an Ooni thread, to you know share pizza tips.

Please
or

KarmaViolet · 19/03/2021 22:54

Another one on Team Ooni. Made lockdown liveable over the summer!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?