Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

kids weighted blanket

PinkDaydreams · 09/01/2021 08:35

Morning all!
I'm so overwhelmed with choice! I'm looking for a weighted blanket for my three year old. He's currently sleeping in a sleep bag and very attached to it, won't sleep under a duvet or use a pillow. It's been suggested that I try a weighted blanket. Can anyone help me decide which to choose please?! I've been reading reviews on Amazon but like I said, there's alot of choice and price points.
I know I need to weigh him to distinguish weight of blanket needed. I think I want one with a cover too so that it can be washed easily.
Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Monkeypeas · 09/01/2021 08:40

Why do you want or need him out of the sleeping bag and using a blanket and pillow?

If he’s happy and sleeps well, I’d just leave him as. The gro company do ones up to age 10

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 09/01/2021 08:42

To be honest I think it's pressure from others. He's my first so others are saying he should be out of the bag, especially when it cos to potty training. Not potty trained yet though (that's another story!!)

OP's posts:
Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 09/01/2021 08:43

Also I thought they stopped making them at age 3, he's nearly grown out of his. I'll have a look for a gro bag one, thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

angel0071987 · 09/01/2021 08:45

You may find a local dealer who makes them on Facebook. I did and my boy loves his.
You can also get sensory blankets that are like a cacoon on the mattres that they snuggle into which could be a intermediate step

Sensory Compression Blanket Sensory Bed Sheet for Kids - Help Kids Ages 5+ Settle Down at Nighttime - Comfortable Sleeping Bedding (Standard Single) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V4BC7TV/ref=cmswwrcppapifabcc_a0w-Fb2APBTH6

Please
or

kowari · 09/01/2021 08:48

Do they do them that light? A typical 14kg/30lb 3 year old would need a 1.4kg/3lb blanket.

Please
or

AaronPurr · 09/01/2021 08:49

Happy to be corrected but I thought weighted blankets weren't supposed to be used overnight by young children, as they can be too heavy to move when a child is sleeping?

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 09/01/2021 09:03

@AaronPurr

Happy to be corrected but I thought weighted blankets weren't supposed to be used overnight by young children, as they can be too heavy to move when a child is sleeping?

I didn't realise this, thank you! Sounds like a larger sleeping bag from grobag is the way to go for now then. Glad I asked on here about them Smile
OP's posts:
Please
or

Monkeypeas · 09/01/2021 09:05

@PinkDaydreams

To be honest I think it's pressure from others. He's my first so others are saying he should be out of the bag, especially when it cos to potty training. Not potty trained yet though (that's another story!!)

I thought it may be. I know it’s easy for me to say but just ignore the advice.
Honestly, childs sleep is priceless. If he sleeps well with it then just leave him for now.
I highly doubt he would be 10 and still in one but obviously some children do have them as otherwise they wouldn’t make them (FYI gro company bags aren’t cheap but have a look in TK MAXX, they usually have them in there for a lot less).

You can teach him to get himself out of the bag by standing on the bottom until the poppers open at the top and then just push it down, which is what my two do.

And as for potty training, if you feel he’s ready but it’s not happening, but it download the Oh Crap! Potty Training book, she is a bit militant on doing it before age3 but the process is really helpful and gives you good advice on getting it done quickly.
But there are plenty of children who use nappies at night even after ditching them for the day and you may find he ditches the grobag naturally anyway soon.
Please
or

Monkeypeas · 09/01/2021 09:06

*buy or download

Please
or

ThatBitch · 09/01/2021 09:26

On amazon you can find sleeping bags for older children. My dc had some with foot holes so they could go to the toilet, then they just wore fluffy socks. We've just got my 6yo a weighted blanket as he is having trouble sleeping - it works like a dream but it's the lightest one we could find and honestly I think it would be too heavy for a 3 year old.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 09/01/2021 09:28

Yes I would be concerned about the safety of a 3yo with a weighted blanket. They are for older children and adults.

You can defo keep buying sleeping bags, they make them right up to age 5/6 on the continent so even if you have to import that's an option.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 09/01/2021 09:30

I also don't understand why people have to harangue parents with random advice that isn't needed or asked for! Surely you are perfectly capable of deciding for yourself whether the sleeping bag is impeding potty training. And if you did you could just... stop using it? It's such a non issue.

Please
or

PinkDaydreams · 09/01/2021 11:48

Can I say thank you all so much for your help and support, really do appreciate it. It's hard trying to do 'the right thing' and obviously only having the one I sometimes feel that I have to take the advice I'm given by more experienced parents.
He sleeps wonderfully in his sleeping bag, doesn't wake at all and has been like that for a while so yes I'd worry his sleep would be disturbed changing to something else.
Thank you again, I'm now on the hunt for larger bags! Gutted tk maxx is closed as I would have checked in there otherwise, although his current ones will last a few more months.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThatBitch · 09/01/2021 12:54

Toddler Sleeping Bag Baby 1.5 tog Sleeping Sack with Legs Zipper Front 5-7 Years aHR0cHM6Ly9zbWlsZS5hbWF6b24uY28udWsvZHAvQjA3TVIzVEhQOS9yZWY9Y21dXVtbsmile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MR3THP9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2DA-FbRDNX2NK swwrcppapiii_2DA-FbRDNX2NK

These are the ones my dc had. There are lots of options on amazon.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.