My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

horrible call to GPs

53 replies

caravel · 23/10/2020 16:56

I’ve NC as this only happened this afternoon and feel paranoid!

I’ve had a shitty year with health and this afternoon I called my GP to book an appointment to go through bloods. I was told to ring after two on Friday which is when they deal with blookwork results. I have been worrying about all this anyway and feel embarrassed about this personal problem relating to surgery I had earlier this year. The receptionist was just awful, told me she had one appointment and I could take it or leave it but I wouldn’t get another for a while and that I was dithering on the phone and she didn’t have time for it. I wasn’t dithering, I asked if the appointment was with the same gp as last time (I was told to request this by my gp!). She said she couldn’t tell me that as I could take what I was offered and if I didn’t want it she would hang up Hmm I couldn’t have been more pleasant if I have tried and her attitude came out of nowhere. I still can’t really process what happened, I realise that sounds dramatic it was just so aggressive! She kept intermittently talking to someone else about her lunch, nothing job related and then said my name to someone while I was on the phone. I said could I take that appointment please and was it over the phone or in the surgery and she hung up.

I have since called back to check if my appointment is actually booked for next Thursday as I asked and apparently it is. A nice gentlemen answered so she must have left for the day.

I probably sound so silly posting about this I just feel taken aback by her attitude and also concerned she is talking about me and maybe even talking about my records given that she so loudly announced my name to someone while I was on the phone, for a reason I don’t know.

I feel so fragile at the moment that I guess I am blowing this out of proportion I just feel really alone and confused about it and have been in tears which is really unlike me. Also wondering if it is lack of human contact over the last few months that has made me especially sensitive or something. I’m not sure why I’m posting just feeling down and maybe need a kick up the arse or a bit of perspective, I’m usually quite tough and this sort of thing wouldn’t bother me.

OP posts:
TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun · 23/10/2020 16:58

That sounds awful, sorry you had that experience. You're not blowing things out of proportion, she was being nasty for no reason. Flowers Hope the appointment itself goes ok and you get the doctor you needed.

FlitterMouse · 23/10/2020 17:00

She sounds very unhelpful and unkind. When you feel stronger you should think about complaining to the practice manager or your gp. Some people are just rude, ignorant and uncaring and shouldn't be working with the public. I hope you feel better soon. Dont let her spoil your weekend Flowers

Letsallscreamatthesistene · 23/10/2020 17:02

Thats incedibly rude! Id be minded to complain, although difficult if you dont know the name of the receptionist.

AliceAforethought · 23/10/2020 17:02

You should report this to the practice manager.
What a horrible experience and an unprofessional person for you to have dealt with!

FlitterMouse · 23/10/2020 17:04

I am sure they can find out her name if she was logged on to her computer to make the appointment and other staff or patients might find her rude too.

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 23/10/2020 17:11

You’re not blowing things out of proportion at all. She needs complaining about. There are too many people with impeccable manners that can’t get jobs for all that rudeness. If she doesn’t like it she can give the job to someone who’d be grateful for it.!!!!

Elieza · 23/10/2020 17:11

Complain to the practice manager.
I don’t imagine you will be the first to do so as many others will have experienced the same attitude.

Everyone has the right to a respectful response to a question. Including you. She should be retrained.

CherryRipe1 · 23/10/2020 17:14

Sounds like my GP practice, one rude, snappy, unhelpful, inattentive and thick receptionist, the rest are fine. I know they can get some nightmare patients but I'm always polite, but get terse if said woman starts her capers. I would definitely put in a complaint, are calls recorded? They are at my practice.

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 23/10/2020 17:15

If you’d have spoken to her like that you’d have been de registered from the surgery.
No if buts maybes or 2 ways about it.
To command respect they have to give it

wowfudge · 23/10/2020 17:15

That should definitely be complained about. No way for anyone to speak to anyone else, let alone a doctor's receptionist. Perhaps she was having a really bad day and that's why her colleague asked who she was speaking to and possibly spoke to her about her manner afterwards? You're owed an apology.

EternalOptimist7 · 23/10/2020 17:16

I do wonder how some people ever get jobs dealing directly with the public! How rude! I would definitely complain OP. Hope everything gets sorted for you 💐

BumBurnerBum · 23/10/2020 17:16

I would complain about that attitude from any customer service professional. That she was in a GP office is more shocking although not surprising though. I vividly recall my friend being told to 'learn to keep her legs closed' when requesting the morning after pill many years ago.

RB68 · 23/10/2020 17:18

oh yes some of them are dreadful - anyone would think they ran multimillion pound critical care facilities they are so dammed self entitled and rude. I used to complain every time my call was handled by one particular receptionist till she left thank God she was so rude, condescending and down right nosey

JenniferSantoro · 23/10/2020 17:20

Wow, she sounds terrible. I wonder if their calls are recorded. I would definitely send a written complaint to the practice manager and your local health authority. Disgraceful behaviour.

Hope you’re ok OP. 💐

hiredandsqueak · 23/10/2020 17:36

Please complain OP she shouldn't be speaking to you like that. In future if you are being treated badly on the telephone ask for the name and role of the person you are speaking to. Often it makes them think twice and if not you have details for your complaint.

porridgecake · 23/10/2020 17:40

Please complain to the practice manager. The receptionist's name will be on the appointment slot she booked for you. Honestly, someone in that sort of job really should have a bit of empathy and patience.
I am sorry you experienced that. It isn't nice waiting for test results, especially if you are worried about your health.

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 23/10/2020 17:45

If you are going to make a formal complaint check if the call was recorded (before they erase them )

I wish I had made a formal complaint about a very rude dismissive GP but when I made my next appointment and asked not to see that GP , I was told they'd left . So opportunity missed ( though I could've still done so ) but really , I wanted to say
You know when you prodded my belly and told me I had muscle strain, I actually have diverticular and my bowels are quietly ulcerating . Pity you didn't stop to ask me anything before you ended the consultation

(with your obviously XRAY fingers ) Hmm

caffeineanddryshampoo · 23/10/2020 17:46

You are not blowing this out of proportion, she sounds horrendous! I would have cried my eyes out after talking to her.

MissLucyEyelesbarrow · 23/10/2020 17:47

I am a GP. I am sorry this happened to you. Please tell the practice manager. You are not 'making a fuss' - the way you were treated was unacceptable and the Practice need to know.

Being a receptionist is a tough job - the abuse that ours get is unbelievable, and two have been physically assaulted but that still does not excuse rudeness. There are enough barriers to accessing healthcare at the moment, without this kind of hostility to patients.

oakleaffy · 23/10/2020 17:49

GP’s receptionists were known as “ Dragons”.
I was in the waiting room and a young adult came in and receptionist said in a loud clear voice
“I can’t find you.. Oh, are you to see the Drugs Worker?”
Half the room swivelled round to gawk at the embarrassed patient who looked furious.

Sleephead1 · 23/10/2020 17:50

Hi op I work at a surgery that is so unprofessional and awful. The calls are usually recorded so I think you need to contact the practice manager and complain. They can listen to the call and hopefully provide her with appropriate training.

Chicchicchicchiclana · 23/10/2020 17:50

Just complain to the practice manager by email. She was not acting like a professional and you have every right to complain.

It has nothing to do with your horrible year or your fragility, no patient should be treated like that. Just keep it factual, blunt and to the point in your complaint.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

marveloustimeruiningeverything · 23/10/2020 17:56

I'd retype up your original post into a letter format and hand it to the practice manager when you go in. she needs pulled up.

unmarkedbythat · 23/10/2020 17:59

I'd also complain to the practice manager. What a horrible way to treat someone.

Shedbuilder · 23/10/2020 17:59

My GP surgery says it records all telephone calls so I'd ask them to investigate. It's not acceptable.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.