My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Becoming a Paramedic

9 replies

Aliiiii · 21/10/2020 19:42

Posting for traffic
My DS, year 11 wants to become a Paramedic
I'm so confused by the ways he can do so! I know he can go the A level Uni route but also see certain colleges do a Public /Uniformed Service BTEC
Can anyone give me some advice please? Many thanks

OP posts:
Lollyneenah · 21/10/2020 19:46

Science A levels all the way Wink and maths if he can.
Uniformed servants is good for police officers and fire but he will need a science for the paramedic degree.

Lollyneenah · 21/10/2020 19:48

He could go UCS-EMD-EMD2-PARA as in work his way up too. But to be honest it's very low pay for the work that you are expected to do, and can be so dependant on regional funding that it could take 10 years.
Get him driving asap, and once he has his standard driving license, get him passing his CAT C driving too.

doctorhamster · 21/10/2020 19:49

Is there any info on your local ambulance service's website?

doctorhamster · 21/10/2020 19:51

I've just had a look at my local one and to become a student paramedic with them you need A levels and some experience in patient or customer care.

Lollyneenah · 21/10/2020 19:53

Good point @doctorhamster - he would do well to get a part time job in a nursing home or similar while he studies a levels

damekindness · 21/10/2020 20:04

It's fair to say that getting onto the paramedic degree courses in universities is quite competitive as there are limited places versus high numbers of applicants. So both a strong science background at A level or equivalent with lots of experience is key - Volunteering with St John's Ambulance might be a place for him to begin with ?

FecktheBoss · 21/10/2020 20:10

DD has just started paramedic course, over 850 applicants to the uni and 65 offers made. Not sure how many are on her course but she is one of the youngest at 18yrs. She was part of first aid team in army cadets, and works as a care asst in a dementia home. A levels in biology, psychology and applied a level in health and social care.

cringyminge · 21/10/2020 20:25

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ.

Withthemonsters · 12/11/2020 21:32

I'm a 2nd year student paramedic doing a unversity course at the moment. I went through the traditional A-Level route, but there are loads on my course who did various btechs and access courses, so they're options too, especially if he's not that academic. Whatever he does, he'll need a good science background, so a Biology A-level or science / healthcare based btech or access course; the anatomy and physiology will be a lot harder without. Some people-based experience is a must too - and that can be in healthcare, or other areas like hospitality etc., they just need to see you have people skills.
There's different options for actually becoming a paramedic, and it really depends on your trust and which ones they offer/take. So in the West Mids, we have the university courses where you come out with a BSc degree and we also have the trust student paramedic course where you start off as a technician and work your way up; you come out with the equivalent of a FdSc degree at the end, so to progress to higher-levels in the service, you'd need to 'top-up' to the BSc at some point. The advantage of the student para course though, is you do get paid throughout, whereas with the uni, you pay for the privilege :)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.