My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Relocating to Manchester area - advice please

19 replies

Linzi858 · 20/10/2020 20:25

Hi, my husband has just been offered a job in Worsley near Salford. I've been doing some research but don't even know where to start. I'm hoping some of you lovely folk may have some advice.
We are a family of 3, soon to be 5 (twins due early next year), and a dog. We would like somewhere not overly urban, but with a couple of coffee shops and restaurants, and good schools in the area. We currently live in Oxfordshire so really like the country vibe but happy with a small town. The area can be upto a 30 minute drive away from Worsley. Thank you in advance.

OP posts:
optimisticpessimist01 · 20/10/2020 20:27

Depends on your budget but Altrincham is lovely, little bars, restaurants, cafes etc plus there is the indoor food market in the middle, and a big Tesco within walking distance from the centre of the town. It is very expensive for the area though

Fairybatman · 20/10/2020 20:28

Worsley itself is lovely, as is boothstown. I would also look at Monton and Ellesmere Park (a bit more £££ but not if you are coming from dahn sarf)

Also Culcheth, Glazebrook or Hollins Green would meet your criteria.

MrsAvocet · 20/10/2020 20:32

I used to live in Worsley and I loved it. I can't comment on schools etc as it was before we had children but there's lots of nice housing, its very convenient for the city centre but not too built up itself. Or at least it wasn't 20 odd years ago - I appreciate it may have changed!

Fairybatman · 20/10/2020 20:32

Something like this is 10 minutes drive from all of Worsley. Good schools in Walking distance (both state and indépendant)

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-96767279.html

PardonMyFrancais · 20/10/2020 20:37

Worsley itself is lovely! Also agree with PP about Altrincham, but may be too urban depending on your definition.

Knutsford and Lymm are also really lovely places, perfect for raising families (and dogs!)

gobbynorthernbird · 20/10/2020 20:39

Ramsbottom might fit the bill. I have no idea about schools there, though.
As PP have said, Worsley itself is nice.

happytoday73 · 20/10/2020 20:56

The traffic around Manchester motorways is much lighter than normal at the moment... Please don't judge the current traffic as the normal commute when picking a location.

For example the traffic on m62 from Warrington towards m60 and therefore Worsley is in normal times very slow/stopped at just past 7 (I'm going in other direction) . Same for m61 down to m60. The M60 from South Manchester side is quieter than death valley side... Junction 16 and down.
East lancs Road... A580.. can also be incredibly slow in Manchester direction.

As PP has said budget is key.. Can you give is an idea?
So let's work outwards.. Worsley itself? Monton?
Moving out of Salford Council into trafford... Urmston and surrounding areas, sale/Altrincham.
I'd think areas of Stockport I'd recommend and Ramsbottom are too far in standard slow rush hour. Section 16 to about 13 is a real pinch point

1FootInTheRave · 20/10/2020 21:04

Worsley is nice.

As is monton.

Some lovely parts of Bury too.

MrsAvocet · 20/10/2020 21:30

I agree with the PP who mentioned the traffic. If by a 30 minute drive away you mean 30 minutes at rush hour you won't be able to get very far away. Worsley kind of sits between the M60, M6, M602 and the East Lancs Road and they are all very busy in the morning and evening. Admittedly driving into Worsley will be going against the flow of traffic in the morning once you are off the M60 so it won't be as bad, but getting to that motorway junction from anywhere else on the M60 will be very slow. Places like Lymm and Altrincham don't look very far on the map, but at busy times its quite a long journey. Likewise coming into Manchester from the North or East can be a slow trip. It used to take me over an hour to commute 9 miles when we lived in Worsley and I doubt its got any better since we moved.

MrsAvocet · 20/10/2020 21:31

M61 not M6 sorry

Linzi858 · 20/10/2020 21:50

Wowsers thanks all so much for your replies, so helpful. Budget wise we were thinking possibly a maximum of around £400,000 for 4 bedrooms. Realistically we know that in some of the more sought after areas we aren't going to get everything we want for that, so happy to compromise in some areas. Great to know Worsley itself is lovely too....thank you all again.

OP posts:
shitinmyhandsandclap · 20/10/2020 21:57

Urmston

lastqueenofscotland · 20/10/2020 23:45

Monton and Worsley are nice
Half an hour in normal Manchester traffic is not far at all so worth bearing that in mind if you want rural

Linzi858 · 21/10/2020 06:41

Thank you all.....and understood about the traffic. Luckily my husband won't commute during usual rush hour traffic, he tends to leave the house between 6-6:30 and can come home anytime from 3:30 so if it's a little longer in the way back that doesn't matter too much. Thanks everyone, it seems to me like actually sticking close by may be the best option. Just on the off chance does anyone know Walkdrn/Prestwich/Whitefield/Ramsbottom? Smile
We could push up to about £450,000 for the right house....with little work needed, just trying to keep it lower due to my maternity leave and it takes the pressure off me returning to worki once my maternity leave it up.

OP posts:
gobbynorthernbird · 21/10/2020 08:43

I live in Prestwich. It's ace. I'd suggested Ramsbottom as that very much fits your small town vibe, but if Prestwich is an option for you then I would definitely recommend.

Mirrorxx · 21/10/2020 08:56

We are currently in the process of buying a house in whitefield. The commute to the city centre is good for us but I wouldn’t recommend living far from work is you drive.

lastqueenofscotland · 21/10/2020 09:46

Ramsbottom is gorgeous. Lovely “vibe” lots of cute cafes and homely pubs.

unmarkedbythat · 21/10/2020 10:32

Love Prestwich and you could get some really decent houses with your budget. Heaton Park is beautiful. I'm not sure on secondary schools in the area though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.