My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Ibs Network-any good?

8 replies

RhubarbCustardy · 14/10/2020 08:18

Exactly that really. I've been diagnosed with IBS-c and want to go low FODMAP. There are SO many books and lots of conflicting advice online (eg yes you can eat apples/no you can't). I see that you have to pay to join the IBS Network so thought it might have update info too. Would it help me with the elimination diet using FODMAP? I need a bit of help on how to do it as my dietitian wasn't any help at all. Alternatively, any good books anyone would recommend? I don't eat meat either which is another complication!

If you've read all this then thanks. I'm getting a bit fed up with the symptoms but am determined to be positive and a find a way to improve them if not eliminate them!

OP posts:
RhubarbCustardy · 14/10/2020 08:20

PS don't know if this is in the right topic but I don't think Health always gets a lot of traffic so that's why I chose to put it here.

OP posts:
RhubarbCustardy · 14/10/2020 08:46

Adding for traffic. Maybe tooo early to be discussing such a topic! 😂

OP posts:
RhubarbCustardy · 14/10/2020 10:10

Looks like no one knows what I'm talking about then?

OP posts:
haba · 14/10/2020 10:27

Hi, my DD has been on a lowfodmap diet for some time, as she has IBS.
There are lots of fodmap threads on here already, under Food and also under Allergies, and probably under SN too.
Using advanced search for fodmap will bring up lots.

I cook all our food from scratch, so I looked up the list of foods (I think it was an Australian site, but it's green/red with foods arranged by groups, (e.g. fruits, veg, grains, meats etc) and that helped loads.

I haven't joined any networks or paid for anything, though there are some decent lowfodmap cookbooks around (don't get them on a kindle version though!) and foods have become much easier to get hold of in the last 18mo- 2years as many supermarkets have expanded their free from ranges.

RhubarbCustardy · 14/10/2020 11:25

Thanks haba. I looked online at the books but most have recipes with meat on them. Any particular books you found helpful please?

OP posts:
RhubarbCustardy · 14/10/2020 11:26

Thanks for the advice on fodmap search on here. Only looked up IBS. Didn't think under fodmap!

OP posts:
turkeyboots · 14/10/2020 11:33

King's College do Fodmap training for dietians and there was a list of their trainees on the site. I saw the local NHS dietian who had no clue, so saw one of the Kings College trained ones privately (£250 for a supported elimination diet) and she was great.
Fodmaps are very person specific. Apples and lactose are killers for me, but am ok with others.

turkeyboots · 14/10/2020 11:35

Monash University is the home of Fodmap and have lots of info online
www.monashfodmap.com

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.