My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

If you are a self-made millionaire

54 replies

BestestBrownies · 13/10/2020 23:57

How did you do it?

OP posts:
BackforGood · 14/10/2020 00:07
Grin
AuntieMarys · 14/10/2020 00:14

My ex is. Software.

cobpickles · 14/10/2020 00:19

I invented post-its

ArcherDog · 14/10/2020 00:21

I will answer for my Mum who is a self made millionaire.
She owns a children’s day nursery.
Started as a nursery nurse many many years ago. Was lucky enough to get a grant to start her own nursery. And it has grown into an extremely successful business.

Couple that with being very strict with her money, and good advice and investments.

MiddleClassMother · 14/10/2020 00:22

Property development. Takes quite a bit to start though. Aiming to be a millionaire will get you no where though. Aim to be happy

Dreading2020sSeasonFinale · 14/10/2020 00:28

@cobpickles

I invented post-its

I see what you did there.
If you are a self-made millionaire
Guineapigbridge · 14/10/2020 02:15

Property and hard-to-replicate skills.
Same mixture as most of the other millionaires I know (except the one who invents and sells medical technology).

TanteRose · 14/10/2020 02:37

@cobpickles

I invented post-its

love that movie! Grin
PhilCornwall1 · 14/10/2020 04:00

Someone I know of is one and he did it through inseminating cows. Not personally of course, but it made him a packet.

itstrue · 14/10/2020 04:35

Property

BestestBrownies · 14/10/2020 09:33

Lots of votes for property so far.

OP posts:
ComtesseDeSpair · 14/10/2020 11:29

DP is. Fintech start up. Took years though and was touch and go at some points. For the first five years he was sleeping on his co-founder’s sofa and working in the UK in a bit of a grey area (he’s from the US), having sold everything he owned to build the business and get seed funding; for the next five/six years after that he was still working all hours and drawing a fairly average salary from the company; and it was only when the company was bought up by eBay two years ago that he was able to cash out with a few million.

I know several millionaires: all of them work/ed in tech and did it through founding start-ups.

ReeseWitherknife · 14/10/2020 11:32

Our friend is a self made millionaire. He did it through property, he owns about 15 houses, all paid for and he lives of the rent. I do envy his life, can’t deny that.

workshy44 · 14/10/2020 11:33

Myself and DH are, Technology sales
We didn't invent anything just bought a business when it was on the verge of going bust. Knew the industry, worked hard and turned it around. I

Smallsteps88 · 14/10/2020 11:33

I lick people for a fiver a go. Covid has damaged business.

ChasedByFox · 14/10/2020 11:39

I started a little chat website, that grew into a behemoth.
Seems to be doing reasonably well, it's called MumsNet, but it's actually for all parents, and non-parents too.

Grin

jaroffairies · 14/10/2020 11:53

answering for people I know:

• property
  • start-up events company
  • small restaurant chain
  • author
  • tech start-up
Darnley · 14/10/2020 12:14

Bloody hard work and sacrifice.

FizzyGreenWater · 14/10/2020 12:15

Tech start ups. Two people.

No I don't envy them and especially not their partners, who seem to rarely see them and basically run house/life/bring up kids largely alone. Both seem selfish as well as obsessive: one takes time off from the 16 hour days every now and again and immediately takes off on some 'boys jaunt' as he needs his downtime don'tcha know.

Their kids hardly know them.

FizzyGreenWater · 14/10/2020 12:17

Both UK based mind you, don't know whether it would all be more effortless in Silicon Valley or whatever.

Happyheartlovelife · 14/10/2020 12:22

IT. We've also got our own business. We're in quite a niche area. Which means that we've only got skills roughly 8 other people have.

We also invested in property. That helped in the beginning. Before the business.

Though as someone said. Aim to be happy. I've actually found that because I am so happy and was before the money. That nothing phases me. Nothing knocks me down. Nothing makes me sad or down or makes me grumpy. I find it a huge help in the business world too. People love happiness

VeryLittleOwl · 14/10/2020 12:36

A friend of mine is. He's a builder. Had about 150 people working for him at one point, invested most of the profits from it and now lives off his investments and potters around doing small jobs for people. One of the nicest guys I know.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Kljnmw3459 · 14/10/2020 12:37

Two people from tech start-ups that were bought by big corporations. One from a manufacturing business that grew big. One from a mix of good salary, property price inflation and other smaller investments. I'd love to know some female millionaires, the ones I listed now are male and all bar 1 were single when building their companies.

niceupthedance · 14/10/2020 12:43

Three people I know
Law
Aviation catering company
Superstar DJ Grin

CoronaBollox · 14/10/2020 12:47

Very close friend of mine got lucky (her words) and took over a failing tech business and turned it around. Naturally a tech head so was like second nature to her, obviously a lot of work. I know people who work incredibly hard and will never be rich, or who had a lucky break. Aim to be happy and do something you love, cringe as it sounds.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.