My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Present for becoming grandad?

14 replies

EvaHoffman · 06/10/2020 11:05

The first of my old friends has become a grandparent. His DS and girlfriend had a boy yesterday. I'm so pleased for them all and have sent congratulatory messages.

Do people send cards and presents to new grandparents? I was thinking of something in a pot (eg cyclamen) which might bloom every year at the same time as grandson's birthday. Is this over the top though? Perhaps all the cards and presents should go to the birth couple only? This is my first experience of grandparenthood so I'm not sure about the customs.

OP posts:
Soonbechrimbo · 06/10/2020 11:07

No i don't think that's s thing. The baby is his present 😁

mogtheexcellent · 06/10/2020 11:11

There are new grandparent cards. My mum recieved a few after DD was born and loved getting them. DStepD cried buckets so really appreciated them Smile

mogtheexcellent · 06/10/2020 11:12
hippohector · 06/10/2020 11:13

It’s not usual to do this however, if this person is a good friend of yours then I think it’s a lovely idea.

RedskyAtnight · 06/10/2020 11:13

I think if he's the sort of person that sets a store by cards and sends a lot himself you could send one. Otherwise, it's not really a "thing"

(my MiL sends cards to all and sundry on every possible occasion, and was inundated with cards when we had DS. My parents barely manage cards on birthdays and Christmas, and got none.)

EvaHoffman · 06/10/2020 11:29

Thanks for your replies. I think a card for him and will bring a bottle of bubbly next time I visit him.

OP posts:
movingonup20 · 06/10/2020 11:36

It's not a big thing, if you know the son, a token baby present is more common. I sent bubbly to my friends when they became grandparents (still can't believe it, we are all far too young!)

CaptainMyCaptain · 06/10/2020 11:38

Just a card maybe.

PurBal · 06/10/2020 11:43

Yes, my mum got loads cards and she was surprised but touched.

OverTheRainbow88 · 06/10/2020 11:44

My dads friend got my DS a football outfit in my dads football team, my dad loved it! It said me and grandad support..: then the team!

Rockandgrohl · 06/10/2020 11:44

I didnt realise it was a thing but my mum got a couple from close friends and was chuffed to bits! Id def do it in the future for a close friend

aToadOnTheWhole · 06/10/2020 11:53

I did a card and a little gift for when my friend's had babies and I'd known their parents since I was little. Loads of our church family got my DPs cards and gifts when my DS was born.

I think it's a lovely idea!

EmbarrassedUser · 06/10/2020 11:54

I think it’s really sweet. You should definitely go for it. Cards wouldn’t be on sale if there wasn’t a demand for it.

EvaHoffman · 06/10/2020 16:53

Thanks for all the ideas!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.