My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Autumn vegetarian and vegan cooking

25 replies

tectonicplates · 05/10/2020 10:25

Vegetarians and vegans, what are you cooking this season? Come and tell me about your soups, stews, casseroles, crumbles, and all things warming and cosy. We've just had porridge for breakfast.

OP posts:
dameofdilemma · 05/10/2020 11:43

Veggie chilli
Veggie soup with cannelini beans, basil and pesto
Whole roasted squash (cut slits inside and insert garlic) with a tomato and basil sauce
Veggie casserole (either root veg or med veg) with tomato/garlic/herb sauce and butter bean mash
Lots of curries (carrot/lentil/pea is current favourite)
Oodles of roast veg with herbs and garlic

AtLeastThreeDrinks · 05/10/2020 11:50

Veggie Shepherd's pie like this one www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetarian_shepherds_pie_73637

Thai curry in the slow cooker

Veggie sausages, mash, greens and crispy onions (and gravy!)

I'd love some more veggie casserole recipes for the slow cooker if anyone has suggestions!

MalbecIsMyOne · 05/10/2020 11:54

Spanish chickpeas stew, smoked paprika gives it a lovely autumnal flavour
www.lazycatkitchen.com/spanish-chickpea-spinach-stew/

Black lentil slow cooker daal
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-black-dhal-crispy-onions

Sexnotgender · 05/10/2020 11:58

Tonight it’s veggie burgers, roast potatoes and queso. If anyone needs me I’ll be lying in a cheese coma.

Alternista · 05/10/2020 12:02

I’ve just slow roasted a load of carrots and red peppers with Thai curry paste to blitz and add to some rice and red lentils for a thick soup for lunches this week.

Thedot90 · 05/10/2020 12:06

www.happyveggiekitchen.com/halloumi-bake/

This is yummy and went down well with carnivorous husband.

MoiraRoseVibes · 05/10/2020 13:46

Ooh good idea for a thread.
These potatoes are amazing, all they really are is fried tatties with an egg on top but somehow it’s such a comforting umyummy recipe I feel like we’ll be eating it all winter| www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/13/fried-potatoes-eggs-recipe-rachel-roddy-comfort-food

IntermittentParps · 05/10/2020 13:49

www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/03/meera-sodha-recipe-vegan-oven-baked-chilli-butternut-squash-recipe
This got the thumbs-up in my house this weekend. Plenty left for the freezer too.

Also Nigel Slater courgette with lentils; haven't made it yet but it sounds good. www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/04/nigel-slater-recipes-berries-with-rose-geranium-sugar-and-courgettes-with-lentils

WitsEnding · 05/10/2020 13:51

I’m not really veggie but so far this week It’s been that way - have made this baked aubergine www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/roasted-aubergine-chilli-peanut-dressing , carrot and red lentil soup with root ginger, eggy bread with mushrooms, and coconut cake.

tectonicplates · 05/10/2020 13:52

[quote MalbecIsMyOne]Spanish chickpeas stew, smoked paprika gives it a lovely autumnal flavour
www.lazycatkitchen.com/spanish-chickpea-spinach-stew/

Black lentil slow cooker daal
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-black-dhal-crispy-onions[/quote]
Wow, I need to make that Spanish chickpea stew. I can certainly imagine cosying up with that.

OP posts:
Plump82 · 05/10/2020 13:54

Ital stew
You can use what ever vegetables you like but i prefer ones that hold their shape.
Put a tin of coconut milk in a pot along with 400ml of vegetable stock. Add chopped carrots and bring to a boil, then add onions, peppers and butter beans. Add curry powder to taste (I like a lot) and you also add different herbs if you fancy. I also roast cubes of sweet potato and add them at the end. I keep it simmering till the carrots at soft. Serve with rice, i use Tilda Caribbean rice and peas. So tasty and very filling!

MoiraRoseVibes · 05/10/2020 16:15

Umyummy? I promise that was a typo and not just a terrible new word I’ve invented.

Boglins · 05/10/2020 16:21

There are tons of recipes on the eight day website but this is a particular favourite: www.8thday.coop/cafe/vegetarian-vegan-recipes/caribbean-stew/#veggie

GiraffeNecked · 05/10/2020 16:26

There's some really lovely comfort type veggie food in the Guardian today - www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/05/hate-washing-up-youll-love-these-delicious-one-pot-vegetarian-wonders

I'm going to try the chilli linked to up thread as well.

tectonicplates · 12/10/2020 13:25

Keep them coming!

OP posts:
newlabelwriter · 12/10/2020 13:30
tectonicplates · 12/10/2020 13:34

Oooh, that aubergine and lentil stew looks amazing. In fact, I think I'm going to have to have a good look through the Ottolenghi website.

OP posts:
PurpleDaisies · 12/10/2020 13:35

We’re having beetroot bourguignon for tea tonight. I often cheat and use ready cooked beetroot. It’s a favourite.

greenkitchenstories.com/beet-bourguignon/

EugeniaGrace · 12/10/2020 13:39

This was our Sunday dinner yesterday. Yum.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegetable-stew-herby-dumplings

I fancy some form of Boston baked beans or a Cassoulet for next week.

monkeyonthetable · 12/10/2020 13:42

Chickpea, butternut and spinach curry with lots of garlic, root ginger and freshly toasted and ground spices, spiced aromatic rice and lime pickle.

Crispy sesame tofu with garlic, chilli and ginger broccoli and noodles or rice.

Smoky paprika veggie goulash with lots of red and yellow peppers, red onions, chunks of grilled aubergine and tomatoes with mashed potatoes or rice and sour cream for non-vegans.

Stuffed peppers (massive favourite in our house.)
Red, yellow and green peppers, halved with seeds etc scooped out. Fill with a mixture of brown rice, toasted and chopped cashews, chestnut mushrooms and leeks, finely chopped and fried, herbs and or spices to suit you. Top with grated cheese for veggies or vegan cheese or brown breadcrumbs for vegans. Serve with spiced, heated passata (just add some chilli powder, bit of garlic puree and some oregano to passata and warm through.

timtam23 · 12/10/2020 17:58

I found some lovely veggie & vegan one-dish roasting tin recipes in a recipe book called The Green Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer.
Tonight I'm having roasted tomato and bayleaf orzo with black pepper. It's really easy. Orzo pasta, veg stock, halved cherry tomatoes, bay leaves and chopped red onion in a roasting tin & in the oven for 20 mins, stir through a bit of olive oil, add chopped fresh basil/parsley and eat!

tectonicplates · 12/10/2020 18:02

Yes I'm a big fan of the Green Roasting Tin! We keeping making the same two or three dishes from it so we really should branch out a bit more.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Wotrewelookinat · 12/10/2020 21:24

Lentil shepherds pie, vegetable crumble ( old cranks recipe), butternut squash butter bean and Spinach stew. Homemade pizza with loads of veg. Roasted veg bake with tofu. Nut roast and roasted veg.

ihatethecold · 12/10/2020 21:38

This black bean chilli from Epicurious is so easy and tasty.

www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vegetarian-black-bean-chili-230632

Stompythedinosaur · 12/10/2020 21:41

Mu favourites are ratatouille and dahl and rice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.