My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Propanolol

10 replies

stressedoutmess · 03/10/2020 13:09

I was given this from the GP this week after a horrendous run of panic attacks (so they’re saying - I’m not sure) and ectopic heartbeats . GP said the propanolol would slow things down and stop the palpitations and resulting panic .

So far I’m finding I can sit still without shaking my legs, I’m not so jumpy/twitchy but the thoughts haven’t gone - it’s just like I have an unpleasant thought but my body doesn’t want to react to it . The ectopic beats have calmed down although I’m waiting on them coming back almost .. Is that normal?

OP posts:
GilderoyLockhart · 03/10/2020 13:13

Yes. It helps physical symptoms but won't stop anxious thoughts.

Janevaljane · 03/10/2020 13:14

Yes. Propanolol doesn't take away anxious thoughts but it stops your body reacting to them.

I take 2 x 10 twice a day when its bad. I find it gives me a break so that I then feel happier and less anxious genrally.

I haven't taken any for a few weeks now and feel fine.

They can mess with your sleep though, some people take melatonin with them.

stressedoutmess · 03/10/2020 13:25

Yeah I didn’t sleep good last night . Woke up dozens of times absolutely petrified with no clear reason why . I’m normally on mirtazipine but have ran out and told seven day wait for more unfortunately .

OP posts:
rosiethehen · 03/10/2020 13:26

Propranolol is very good at relieving the acute anxiety and giving your body a break from the horrible symptoms. I take 40mg each morning and can't remember the last time I felt anxious.

AnnaMagnani · 03/10/2020 13:42

Yes, it doesn't change the thoughts but it does change how your body reacts to the thoughts.

So you may still be having v anxious thoughts but they can't lead to all the physical symptoms of racing heart beat, jumpy legs, palpitations, rapid breathing.

So, it looks like your GP is right! The symptoms you were having were panic attacks and it's your worries that were driving the palpitations and ectopic heart beats. This is good news, your body is healthy.

I found that without the feedback of palpitations and shaking, a lot of my thoughts got better too - I was in a vicious cycle where one was driving the other. As you say, kind of waiting for the symptoms to happen.

Now would be a good time to focus on the thoughts as well, maybe doing some online CBT?

Janevaljane · 03/10/2020 14:47

@rosiethehen

Propranolol is very good at relieving the acute anxiety and giving your body a break from the horrible symptoms. I take 40mg each morning and can't remember the last time I felt anxious.

Do you sleep ok? I try and limit taking it because I sleep so badly
TeenPlusTwenties · 03/10/2020 15:00

My DD is on this.
She is having nightmares, but I don't know if that is a side effect or due to the underlying cause of her anxiety.
If she doesn't have her evening dose she gets too anxious about nightmares to get to sleep...

gamerchick · 03/10/2020 15:02

@stressedoutmess

Yeah I didn’t sleep good last night . Woke up dozens of times absolutely petrified with no clear reason why . I’m normally on mirtazipine but have ran out and told seven day wait for more unfortunately .

Are you supposed to just suddenly stop that?
Babdoc · 03/10/2020 15:12

Propranolol crosses the blood brain barrier and can cause nightmares, but its antiadrenergic effect is very good at blocking the physical effects of panic attacks, which are mediated by excessive adrenalin release.
A pharmacist should be able to give you an emergency prescription of Mirtazapine to cover you until your regular supply from your GP is available. We did this for DD when she lost her packet of another antidepressant while staying in a holiday cottage. Withdrawal effects may be complicating your clinical picture - it’s not a good idea to stop any antidepressant abruptly, they should be tapered off slowly.

stressedoutmess · 03/10/2020 22:25

Thank you Flowers . No open chemist locally during weekend now sadly - they used to do a duty one but nothing now . Local MI unit stock basic stuff ... hopefully the script is written by Monday as I’m definitely struggling without the mirtazapine to get settled in the evening . I really should have sorted it on Friday but spent all week a bit of a quivering wreck after constant panic attacks from Friday through to Thursday .

Showered, clean pyjamas and clean bed tonight so hopefully that helps a bit .

It’s a very strange feeling - my mind is still giving it the ‘OMG, wtf is happening here’ but my body is a bit more 😐 and quite chilled out . Normally when I sit still my legs are constantly shaking - now they’re still and relaxed, it’s such a relief

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.