My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Craving a salad. Please inspire me with your veg toppings and dressing!

18 replies

Trut · 29/09/2020 16:14

I am self identifying with a rabbit these days and craving lettuce! I have run out of ideas wrt dressing and toppings. Any suggestions please?

I have

• salad greens

-carrots
-courgettes
-aubergine
-tomatoes
-nuts
-yogurt
-tahini
And the usual herbs

Can’t remember if I have anything else...oh, onion and garlic of course. And olive oil, balsamic.

Is there anything non-boring I can do? Mebbe a zippy dressing? Thanks
OP posts:
WinWinnieTheWay · 29/09/2020 17:03

Slice onions, cucumber and tomatoes. Dress with oil, vinegar, salt and oregano (fresh or dry). Leave for 20 mins. Than add grated courgette and serve on leaves.

IceniWarrior · 29/09/2020 17:06

For lunch I had finely chopped iceberg, peas shoots, cucumber, multicoloured tomatoes, red onion, jarred red peppers, radish, coriander, black olives, jalopenos, sprouted pulses and mixed beans. Topped with honey, balsamic and olive oil.

IceniWarrior · 29/09/2020 17:07

Missed your point! Roast your veggies?

pusspuss9 · 29/09/2020 17:08

I make sure I have very good olive oils, very good vinegars and a good pumpkin seed oil .

I have a lot of salads and think it's important to have a good dressing.

I've done taste tests with various vinegars and olive oils I've had hanging around and when you test them against each other you can really notice the difference.

ColleagueFromMars · 29/09/2020 17:08

Rocket, sundried tomato and parmesan is nice.

Trut · 29/09/2020 19:30

Ooh thanks everyone. I went for a walk and just read these. Really nice combinations!

Roasted veg would be good too 😃

I agree quality of oil makes a difference. I don’t have great/very fresh olive oil at the moment, it is last year’s I think.

I made a kinda boring salad with leaves, tomatoes and feta. And then I made a dressing with coconut, yogurt, pumpkin seeds and Szechuan peppercorns. I like it, although some may not 😃

Now that I’ve seen all your suggestions I have ideas for the rest of the week. 😊

OP posts:
SuperPixie247 · 29/09/2020 19:41

There are some FANTASTIC older threads on here about salads if you want a really good read.

Trut · 29/09/2020 19:44

Thanks Superpixie. I’ll take a look, I really need inspiration. Some nice ideas here as well.

We have started growing lettuce in pots and it is really easy to pluck fresh leaves. I struggle with ideas for the rest though. Especially for warmer salads for this season

OP posts:
Whatifitallgoesright · 29/09/2020 20:00

Boiled eggs, tuna and olives.

ISpeakJive · 29/09/2020 20:04

I have pomegranate and toasted pine nuts in mine with some Parmesan shavings. I love it. But I’m a bit weird like that.

Trut · 29/09/2020 20:06

I love olives and boiled eggs. Nice protein there!

Pomegranate and toasted pine nuts sounds amazing

OP posts:
IceniWarrior · 29/09/2020 20:29

Roasted parsnip and carrots in honey go nice on lentils and rocket with some walnuts and a dressing. Bit of crumbled Stilton.

winterisstillcoming · 29/09/2020 21:38

I just made a version of an ottolenghi recipe.

Fennel, pomegranate, feta, leaves. In an olive oil, lemon and sumac dressing. It was divine.

Trut · 30/09/2020 05:50

The ottolenghi one sounds really nice!

Icebi, honey roasted parsnips and carrots sounds lovely! I am not too keen on lentils in salads, I feel a bit heavy afterwards. Maybe I can just skip that bit.

OP posts:
winterisstillcoming · 30/09/2020 10:20

Home made coleslaw is lovely too. With a honey and mustard lesson.

A classic Italian can be lifted with mozzarella and balsamic pearls.

Trut · 30/09/2020 12:33

True,a good slaw is so versatile. How do you make your honey mustard dressing?

OP posts:
52andblue · 30/09/2020 14:24

watching for inspiration !

winterisstillcoming · 30/09/2020 21:10

I literally bung honey and mustard together.

Lose yourself on the yummy belazu website.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.