My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

DS not adhering to the new covid rules

7 replies

mummabear1967 · 22/09/2020 17:53

DS (19) is refusing to adhere to the new rules.

Here in NI we have been banned from mixing with other households indoors.

DS can make his own mind up as he’s an adult, but I feel extremely irritated by his selfishness and lack of regard to the rules whilst he lives under my roof.

He has arranged to go out to a house party on Friday night. I just think it’s reckless.

I said to him that’s it’s irresponsible and very selfish and that he can find somewhere else to sleep if he’s going to go against the rules, he told me to wise the f!ck up and that he won’t be following the rules anymore as they make no sense.

I agree with him that they are quite stupid, but I don’t think having a party is a good idea at this time.

What should I do about this?

OP posts:
NC4Now · 22/09/2020 17:56

Well he can pay his own fine for a start. Is it the same as here? Up to £10k fine for the host and £100 per guest?

PhilCornwall1 · 22/09/2020 18:06

The important thing is, what do you really want to do about it?

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd · 22/09/2020 18:09

There's nothing you can do except not allow him into your house.

FallonsTeaRoom · 22/09/2020 18:11

I said to him that’s it’s irresponsible and very selfish and that he can find somewhere else to sleep if he’s going to go against the rules, he told me to wise the f!ck up and that he won’t be following the rules anymore as they make no sense

Well, you've told him your initial thoughts so if you meant it put your foot down. If you don't anything else you say he’ll disregard as being just words said in the heat of the moment and he can ignore you.

If you didn't mean it you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot.

Up to you.

Ginorwine30 · 22/09/2020 18:17

He’s 19 so there’s not much you can do about it really. There will be plenty of students across the country continuing to have house parties etc. Realistically unless it becomes a large gathering and a neighbour complains to police then most parties will go ahead. I’m not saying people shouldn’t stick to the rules but you can’t really expect that young people won’t gather. I agree the rules are ridiculous!

Stompythedinosaur · 22/09/2020 18:43

He needs to move out.

Smurf123 · 22/09/2020 18:50

Stick to what you said and tell him to find somewhere else to stay and make him pay the fine himself.
Also in NI here too and while I agree the rules are half hearted and don't make sense as they are afraid to rock the boat too hard I will say I would really ask him to think about others.. My mum is currently going through chemo - she was diagnosed just before lockdown. She also minded my ds age 2. And we saw them daily including weekends. The older of my 2 brothers just graduated and is now living with me on an air mattress on the floor so he can work (sub teacher so too risky for mum for him to be at home) the only brother is only 13 and is currently still home learning due to his school risk assessment and mums drs deciding that was the safest option. I'm also a teacher so ds has had to start a creche and between colds and back to school illnesses we haven't been able to do our garden visits to mums. We haven't hugged or sat indoors with any family since March. We haven't really been indoors anywhere except home and work and the odd trip to tesco if we can't get a delivery.
Due to the rising cases it is looking increasingly like we won't get to be in mums house even by Christmas. My 2 year old hasn't been able to hug his granny or granda since March... So regardless of how pointless the regulations may seem maybe just maybe if everyone followed them families like mine might just be able to hug their immediate family before the end of 2020.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.