My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Have any of you been doorstepped by meter readers?

2 replies

AIwaysThereMoonah · 22/09/2020 13:41

Hi there

Just had a guy knock on saying he needed to read my meters.
I have a direct debit, it has been about a year - I have submitted them now online (dual tariff) after refusing the man entry. My point being, that although I hadn't had any reminders to submit readings or been told a meter reader was coming, it would not be a surprise that they needed the figures.
This man had a mask around his neck (not wearing it), some kind of hand-held device, some kind of vest and a lanyard which I didn't pay too much attention to. I am wary of visitors anyway and said it wouldn't be happening, sorry and refused entry which he was a bit shirty about.
Got hold of British Gas and they say they haven't sent any meter readers out since March.
I am hopeless at descriptions so cannot even describe the bloke apart from he looked authentic but I instantly didn't like the guy.

Is this a known scam? Are there no meter readers currently in action and do I need to up my security? I have no security

Thanks for reading

OP posts:
AIwaysThereMoonah · 22/09/2020 14:03

knock

OP posts:
crazycatlady20 · 22/09/2020 14:08

not recently but I have had a meter reader appear randomly to check in the past even tho I submit regular readings.

The work is probably contracted out to another company.

if it happens again ask for his details and company info. if hes genuine that shouldnt be a problem then u can maybe arrange a specific time etc for another visit.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.