My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Estate agents, property developers, people who buy houses...honour me with your opinions please!

45 replies

Shodan · 19/09/2020 18:20

The situation is this:

At some point, a house needs to be sold. It's a 1930s semi-detached cottage, in original format. Downstairs bathroom, pine-clad walls, brown tiles, blue bathroom suite. This is the only bathroom.

Kitchen is small, with outdated units. Dining room and sitting room are separate, decorated with white paint over wood chip paper. Carpets are brown and tatty.

One kind of dodgy 'garden room', one tatty attached garage.

3 bedrooms, one a small single. None have been decorated for many years. Main bedroom has fitted wardrobes from about 30 years ago.

Very pretty cul de sac street in a popular and expensive large village in the South East. Most of the other houses on the road (same style of cottage) have been extended/modernised and have families living in them, mostly two-(large) car families.

We have two divided opinions on what to do to the property before it's sold. One party says that a coat of fresh paint will work wonders and will boost sales. The other party says that no painting is necessary, as the potential buyers will be the sort to want to knock down walls/extend/modernise.

What would you do?
A. Paint.
B. Don't paint.

(Trying to keep this as unbiased as possible!)

OP posts:
popcorndiva · 19/09/2020 18:22

Don't paint

newnamesameold · 19/09/2020 18:24

Don't paint

GreekOddess · 19/09/2020 18:26

Don't paint.

GleamingHeels · 19/09/2020 18:26

Don't paint
but do clean, especially the windows, and remove all contents that you possibly can, let it's potential shine through

BloodyCreateUsername · 19/09/2020 18:27

Don’t paint. I’m a serial renovator and landlord.

Anyone looking for a project, as it sounds, would not be fussed or distracted by fresh paint. Not worth your time energy or money.

GleamingHeels · 19/09/2020 18:27

argh * its

Upupupintheair · 19/09/2020 18:28

Don’t paint

PegasusReturns · 19/09/2020 18:31

Another serial renovator here. Do not paint.

User0ne · 19/09/2020 18:31

Paint. Everyone will still want to do loads of renovation but it will make it look cleaner and more appealing so will sell quicker and possibly for a bit more. It will also help convince people that they could live there while work is carried out this widening your market.

Veterinari · 19/09/2020 18:31

Painting is futile. It clearly needs fully renovating so what's the point?

Shodan · 19/09/2020 18:31

Okay, unanimous so far Grin

OP posts:
Shodan · 19/09/2020 18:32

Oops no I see one dissenting opinion.

Interesting.

OP posts:
MaggieFS · 19/09/2020 18:33

Don't paint. It would be a waste of time/money

boredboredboredboredbored · 19/09/2020 18:35

You're completely wasting your time by painting. If it's going to be modernised leave it as it is.

snowone · 19/09/2020 18:36

Don't paint.....no point!

ramblingsonthego · 19/09/2020 18:37

I wouldn't bother to paint. It's just a waste of time and money. No one will keep it as is.

TW2013 · 19/09/2020 18:39

We did paint and managed to pull it above property developers and into realm of family wanting house they could develop over time. You might though find in the current climate if you can market it and complete within stamp duty holiday that it is better to go for quick sale.

WitchQueenofDarkness · 19/09/2020 18:41

Don't paint. Waste of time and money

OhTheRoses · 19/09/2020 18:44

Don't paint, it needs complete renovation.

But have you taken some expert advice about what it needs and how much it would cost?

Shodan · 19/09/2020 18:55

But have you taken some expert advice about what it needs and how much it would cost?

No, not yet.

It's a bit of a weird situation tbh. It's my mum's house, she's currently in a nursing home which is being funded by the NHS. The discussion arose after someone asked if we might need to sell the house, should CHC be withdrawn (unlikely, tbh, given Mum's health needs)

There were 5 of us (all siblings) discussing this and it got a bit contentious. My sister and I are firmly in the Don't Paint camp (worth noting that my sister is an estate agent), two brothers are firmly in the Paint camp. One brother tends towards the Don't Paint, but is willing to Paint if it makes the other brothers happy.

My feeling is that painting is not only a waste of time, it will also highlight how bad the rest of the place looks.

So far proper bad feeling has been kept at bay with the assertion that, when the time comes, local estate agents will be brought in to value the house and give their advice.

But tension is definitely rumbling away underneath Hmm

OP posts:
BammBamm · 19/09/2020 19:03

Well we have bought a house (maybe stupidly) that is extremely dated and really needs everything doing. The sellers had tarted up the bathroom and given it a fresh coat of paint which definitely made it seem more liveable. It will be a long project for us but it was important we could move in straightaway. Without seeing it I'm on the fence which I realise doesn't help you.

Katinthedoghouse · 19/09/2020 19:04

Don’t paint.

We are in a very similar situation atm.

Mil’s house has just gone up with an agent. We decided collectively with the stamp duty holiday just to list it and see what happens ...and 5 viewings booked within 24 hours of it going on the market.

Bit rude of brothers to be so dismissive of Sil’s Professional opinions although I’m usually in the camp that all EAs talk crap Grin

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CatSmith · 19/09/2020 19:05

Don’t paint. Let potential builders, investors, BTL landlords etc be able to see what they are dealing with.

A lick of paint will only look like your desperately trying to hide damp, mould, mildew, rot.......

Shodan · 19/09/2020 19:11

Bit rude of brothers to be so dismissive of Sil’s Professional opinions although I’m usually in the camp that all EAs talk crap

Well, yes... As is usual with families there is a back story to that! And, unfortunately, a definite whiff of chauvinism and "We're Older Than You".

Sis is understandably upset by the lack of respect for her professional opinion.

OP posts:
BringBiscuits · 19/09/2020 19:14

Don’t paint. Waste of time and money.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.