My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Ebay question about international postage enquiries

4 replies

tectonicplates · 16/09/2020 13:12

On Ebay listings there's the option to choose which countries you post to, and then a further option that says "Additional delivery locations - buyers contact for costs". I've been selling on Ebay for years but never used this option before. Is there a particular reason to do this? As in I post normally to the UK and EU, but USA and Canada buyers have to contact me first? How exactly does this work, and is there some kind of reason for doing this that I may not have thought of?

OP posts:
tectonicplates · 17/09/2020 17:52

Bump.

OP posts:
Kpo58 · 17/09/2020 18:06

Probably just means that you don't have to waste time making up loads of different postage costs if someone from outside the UK doesn't bid on one of your items.

Also it means you can change the costs daily depending if counties you are trying to send to suddenly end up on lockdown.

scothols · 17/09/2020 18:13

I only do international on eBay global shipping now, that way if it's slow/damaged etc it's eBay's responsibility- you post to a uk address and they forward.

Before that I found if you offered international postage on an ask first basis, people would bid anyway and when they won auction would be horrified at the cost of sending tracked to some countries. If they did ask first you would have to spend ages working out the costs to somewhere and then they wouldn't necessarily end up winning the auction. Too much hassle as my items aren't high value.

tectonicplates · 17/09/2020 18:24

Ah okay. Most of my items (mainly just old clothes etc, small personal seller) tend to sell to UK buyers, with maybe 5-10% in other EU countries. That's fine, but I have just a couple of items that might be of more interest to USA buyers. But I know from past experience that people tend to get into arguments about customs charges. I don't know if it's worth it or not just for the sake of increasing my chances of selling these two items.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.