My feed

to access all these features


Registering with new GP surgery - asking for ID - 20 ye old Ds has none

32 replies

Charliescar · 14/09/2020 13:20


My son really needs to register with his local GP, however they have said he can’t without a passport and proof of address.

He doesn’t have a valid passport and doesn’t have proof of address . ( he is living with girlfriends mother)

What can he do ?

OP posts:
Raisinandcheese · 14/09/2020 13:22

Get a provisional driving licence.

lughnasadh · 14/09/2020 13:24

Even an out of date passport is fine.

And yes, get a provisional license.

UnbeatenMum · 14/09/2020 13:24

They shouldn't refuse him without ID, this goes against NHS guidance -

Thunderblunder · 14/09/2020 13:24

Good luck with that. My DD is still waiting for her provisional from the DVLA since April.

FixTheBone · 14/09/2020 13:25

Birth certificate.

He's legally entitled to healthcare.

He's not legally required to have photo ID etc

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd · 14/09/2020 13:26

Getting a provisional license or passport right now will take a long, long time. It's against guidance to refuse him because of this. Passports are for crossing borders.

SmileyClare · 14/09/2020 13:29

A birth certificate? Does he not have a mobile phone contract?

At 20, he should have a bank account, has he changed his address to his girlfriend's with the bank?. A bank statement sent to him can be used as proof of address.

If he's working, then he may have paperwork (pay slips, letter from HMRC?) If he's at college he can ask for verification of id from a tutor or if claiming benefits then his advisor should help.

HotPatootiebootie · 14/09/2020 13:32

My sister just got her passport back from renewal and it took a whopping 9 days from posting to receipt.

LadyOfTheImprovisedBath · 14/09/2020 13:38

My son really needs to register with his local GP, however they have said he can’t without a passport and proof of address.

May be check that with the practise manager - as every practise I've joined - we've moved around UK a lot had had usually two lists of information they'll accept.

Think we usually do bank statements - though has to have current address - and birth certificates - but there's usually a range.

Batshitbeautycosmeticsltd · 14/09/2020 13:39


My sister just got her passport back from renewal and it took a whopping 9 days from posting to receipt.

I had to get our MP involved to get DD's renewal. It took 3 months.
ShellsAndSunrises · 14/09/2020 13:40

I guess the problem is that he doesn't have photo ID OR any letters, as he lives with his girlfriends mum?

He'll need to have something sent there. A bank statement, a phone bill... they might accept council tax if he's been declared on it? But check that first.

He won't need a passport, the NHS has clear guidelines on that, but he is likely to need proof that he lives where he says he does.

Pheobeasy · 14/09/2020 13:41

Does he have any letters at all? Bank statements or something?

Charliescar · 14/09/2020 13:55

I have found his birth certificate and expired passport .

Will that be enough ?

They are asking for one photo ID and proof of address.

He is disqualified from driving 😨so no driving licence .

He hasn’t changed his address with bank from his home address , same with phone etc.

OP posts:
Charliescar · 14/09/2020 13:56

I have checked on the NHS website and it does say you don’t need ID etc .

OP posts:
SmileyClare · 14/09/2020 14:04

I would have thought he'd have to change his address details with his bank and any credit he has in his name needs to know where he's living.

If he wants it to remain on record that he is residing with you, then the other alternative is to register with a doctor local to you? He'll have to travel to any appointments. Although at present, most surgeries at doing virtual or phone appointments.

SmileyClare · 14/09/2020 14:05

If it's urgent that he needs to see a doctor then he can visit A and E. Isn't he still registered at an old GP practice anyway?

Thisisnotnormal69 · 14/09/2020 14:07

He needs to change his bank account then, or something similar for proof of address.

As he is 20, can’t he sort this kind of thing by himself now though?

Charliescar · 14/09/2020 14:09

@thisisnotnormal no he is not , he had several issues over the past year . Not all 20 year olds are the same

OP posts:
Charliescar · 14/09/2020 14:10

I don’t know why they need proof of address .

OP posts:
TinySleepThief · 14/09/2020 14:12

He hasn’t changed his address with bank from his home address , same with phone etc.

Surely that will be the problem as he's trying to register in a new location but all his forms of ID make it look like he is still living at your address.

He's either living at yours ib which case its fine for all his stuff to be registered therer or living with his girlfriend and her mum in which case he needs to amend his details and get post etc to that address.

Thisisnotnormal69 · 14/09/2020 14:14

Because usually GP surgeries have “catchment areas” (not sure if different name for them) so they’d check he’s within that. That’s the case with mine anyway. Can he talk to them again about it?

RoseAndRose · 14/09/2020 14:14

I don’t know why they need proof of address

Because GPs have catchment areas, and do not have to accept out of area patients. He needs to show he is resident in the area.

SmileyClare · 14/09/2020 14:15

Gp surgeries need to prioritise places to those in the local area (particularly elderly who walk or rely on a short bus journey to get there) so it's understandable they want proof your son is living locally.

It will be problematic for him. I don't think a bank will change his address unless he has proof of living there so that's a catch 22 situation.!

Is he working or on UC or at college? All those could provide some ID verification.

SmileyClare · 14/09/2020 14:21

If he's planning to live with his girlfriend permanently (or for a long period) then it would be good advice to get his phone bills sent there, get on the electoral roll, the council tax bill and have all letters directed there.

His lack of proof of address is going to prove problematic in other areas; dentist, for work, applying for a license, taking out credit etc.
I'm sorry he's having a lot of issues at present. That must be a worry. Does he need to access mental health support? If so, NHS 111 could advise him on how to proceed.

YoBeaches · 14/09/2020 14:29

Address is so that medical information can be sent to him appropriately, and catchment area. I assume his other address (yours) is not In the same town. He needs something that validates where he lives or he could try saying he has no fixed abode but that's a bit pointless. He's 20?!
Payslip? University/colleague papers? Anything?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.