My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Buying a laptop for work, where from?

10 replies

TheDrsDocMartens · 14/09/2020 11:52

I’m hopefully getting a grant for my business for equipment so I can work from home. The grant people want invoices from the company to pay them direct.
Any idea of companies which do this?

OP posts:
TheDrsDocMartens · 14/09/2020 11:52

Oh and I have to pay the VAT so it’s actually two invoices I need 🤦🏻‍♀️

OP posts:
mindutopia · 14/09/2020 12:07

What sort of laptop do you want? I would start by looking to see who offers the best value for what you want to buy. You should also ask the funder if they have any preferred suppliers. I know we have to go through preferred suppliers unless we can demonstrate that we need to go elsewhere (for example, using Amazon is frowned upon).

AlCalavicci · 14/09/2020 12:27

Agree with PP check with your company, they are likely to have preferred suppliers, we do.
I work mate did not realise this and bought one from a independent shop thinking she was doing the company a favour as it was cheaper than the chain stores . She can not get her money back now and can't return the laptop as she got it near the start of lock down and the shop shut for months .

Once you have established this contact the shop(s) and tell them you need a receipt for business purposes, pc world certainly can provide this but I don't know about other shops.
Check to see how much you can spend ,
Have a look on line to see what is within your budget / needs .
Go to the shop, personally I would not say straight away that your company is paying for it as they try to upsell like mad convincing you you need something way be one your needs ( that's not happen to me . . .Oh no . . . never . . . Blush )
Then when you go to pay for it explain you need a sale and separate tax receipt.

TheDrsDocMartens · 14/09/2020 13:32

The grant have said its up to me as long as the shop invoices them and I pay the VAT.
Struggling to find anywhere who will invoice.

OP posts:
TheDrsDocMartens · 14/09/2020 13:34

I actually only know a few online people who sell laptops. No real shops and PC world is definitely a compromise on what I want (plus will cost me way more in VAT!).

OP posts:
TheDrsDocMartens · 14/09/2020 19:50

Feel like I’m going round in circles on this. MacBook would do exactly what I need but even on the grant I can’t afford the VAT.

OP posts:
nikkylou · 14/09/2020 20:18

Are you self employed?

Try going to the brands direct websites, so like dell or hp. Find what you want and often these brands have a separate website or an option to select to say you're a business and they hopefully will give you the paperwork you need.

Check with them in a live chat before you order.

Also scan computers - just had a look and they have 'scan, for business' and ebuyer is another.

If you have your heart set on an Apple, type in Apple for business.

Basically, stop looking at consumer sites and finding the sites that are looking to sell business to business. They then start showing ex. VAT by default and have much more customer support in the way of payments, accounts set up etc. As in theory, just because you're buying one now. That could be 30 next year. Then 50 then year after. Etc.

TheDrsDocMartens · 15/09/2020 09:18

Self employed yes.
Didn’t think about brands having their own business sites, thanks!

OP posts:
britnay · 15/09/2020 09:51

I have always bought my PCs from this company: www.scan.co.uk/
They have always given brilliant service.

TheDrsDocMartens · 15/09/2020 10:23

Thanks

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.